TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wired drives the Roadster

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Mar 4, 2009.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    Hey, it's Chuck!

Driven (Finally): Tesla Roadster | Autopia from Wired.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I liked this quote from the associated photo gallery:

Almost spat my tea on the keyboard... :biggrin:

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This comment was good:
    "...
    My friend who owned a regular Elise used to keep some tennis balls in the glove compartment. That way if a huge SUV in front of him started to back up or something, he could bounce a tennis ball off their window."

This car needs a really loud horn -and a really quiet horn too.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Actually the photo captions are better than the photos:

The problem with this is that it's worse for the battery. Tesla also says to wait a few days if you can to charge to reduce charge cycle stress on the battery.

(re The PEM)
    08_bar-refaeli_23-1-767459.jpg
    Never heard of her.

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Care to elaborate on this?
    I don't remember reading/hearing anything like that before. It doesn't make much sense either.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

With Lead-Acid, top off whenever possible seems to be the rule.
    (Running Lead-Acid down to empty really hurts them).

With Nickle-Cadmium it was different. The so-called "memory effect" would cause them to have diminished capacity if all you ever did was top off, so periodic full cycles were recommended.

NiMH has a small amount of memory effect, but nothing as severe as Nickle-Cadmium.

Li-Ion was supposed to usher in the era of "don't worry about it", where you could top off if you like, or let it drain with no major worries. Some Li-Ion rechargeable flashlights I bought came with recommendations to leave it on the charger whenever not in use, just like with many laptops and cellphones.

What some other Li-Ion users are recommending:

Lithium Ion , top off, needed or no/ - FlyingGiants Forums

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Re: 8830 Turns Off / Shuts Down / Restarts Itself Repeatedly - BlackBerry 8800 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Charging lithium-ion batteries - MP3 Player FAQ - abi>>forums
    But:
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

[/FONT] parttwo-34.gif
    parttwo-34-2.jpg
    parttwo-34.jpg

In summary, it sounds to me like Li-Ion generally doesn't mind frequent recharges, but it does mind being left stored very full, particularly when it is hot.
    Using a charge profile that stops charging well under 4.2V/cell will probably keep them happier longer. If you make short trips it might be best to try to always keep the pack in the 30-60% full range if battery lifespan is your primary goal. Hopefully Tesla can provide clear guidelines on all of this as they have more expertise on the matter than you can find from random sources on the internet.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah, Tesla needs to produce a "care and feeding" document now that cars are in the hands of buyers.