Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless CarPlay in iOS 8.3 Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there something I don't understand about CarPlay? It doesn't seem to give us much more in the way of functionality than we already get with the touchscreen.

Maybe not for you S owners but it added a ton of functionality to my stock Alpine unit that I swapped out. Going cordless and adding apps would be awesome!

It would get us apps. Third parties can develop CarPlay-enabled apps for iOS.

Thanks. Apps would be great but isn't the case that Tesla itself is planning to make possible app development for our touchscreen? If that happens, given the talent in our own TMC community we're likely to see some amazing apps developed that are customized for Teslas not just generic apps.

Thanks. Apps would be great but isn't the case that Tesla itself is planning to make possible app development for our touchscreen? If that happens, given the talent in our own TMC community we're likely to see some amazing apps developed that are customized for Teslas not just generic apps.
I believe that is one of those infamous early promises from Elon himself that has not been discussed much for years;)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7900-SW-Firmware-Model-S-Apps

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...and-Google-Chrome-in-the-Model-S-by-late-2014

I believe with CarPlay you would immediately get access to other music services like Spotify. Hopefully you would also get access to other Nav apps like Waze.

The problem I think is that the in-car side of Carplay is based on QNX, the most common in-car computing platform (ironically owned by BlackBerry). Tesla's in-car OS is Linux-based, and so Carplay would need to be ported to that platform and separately supported by both Apple and Tesla. Don't know if that is either Apple or Tesla's highest priority.

You would think that Carplay would be pretty simple since it wouldn't be interfacing to much. All you really need is a video interface (which would, of course require some modifications to hardware), and a connection to feedback touch information (through wireless in the current version). The audio and handsfree stuff essentially exists. Everything else would exist on the phone.

Of course, that would limit what you could do that was Tesla specific, but Tesla could possibly extend their app.

I know a lot of folks want to see Tesla offer native apps, but do you really think they are going to give access to any third party for anything other than infotainment and navigation which you have on the phone today?

Carplay is a communications protocol between computers. It should be (providing Apple publishes the protocol) possible to implement the car end on any system provided it has a touchscreen.

It works without a touch screen also -- see this demo of CarPlay in a Mercedes with a knob controller: 2014 Mercedes C-Class - Apple CarPlay demo - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Given recent news about Apple hiring Tesla employees and potentially competing in some way I'm not sure i'd hold my breath expecting a tighter integration between Apple and Tesla products.

Tesla will need to offer CarPlay and Android Auto in the near future. More and more automakers are adding one (or both) to their cars -- so it will be an obvious missing feature against the competition soon...