Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charger - IPhone 12 Max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those Casekoo cases that have been linked to a few times here are good looking cases, but they only really offer scratch protection, not drop protection, which to me, is a critical part of putting a case on the phone. For that, you need some silicone in the case. Casekoo does have some non-bumper cases, but I have yet to try that out.

Taking a phone in and out of a case to charge is not an acceptable solution either for me, this will loosen up most cases over time, diminishing the protection.

My iPhone XS Max always worked fine in the Apple leather case, so I was sad to hear the Pro Max has a problem. My leather case is on backorder, but my wife's silicone case arrived. I was able to confirm it kind of worked. If you get it in there just right, it works fine. But it's almost impossible to simply drop the phone in there and have it work, it takes some finagling.

Upthread someone posted a link to the STL of a spacer, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's for the Model 3, and some stuff has changed since that model was made. The tolerances are off by a mm or so, and there is no longer a little nib to hold the piece in. That said, with some effort I was still able to get it to fit. Here's a few pics:

IMG_2974.jpgIMG_2973.jpg

I'm happy to confirm that, at least sitting still, this is enough to fix the issue (at least for the silicone case). I want to make some design changes for the Y, including removing the wired cable passthroughs so the whole ledge is a flat surface, and remove the little retention nibs that are no longer used on the Y. I'll check back in when I have more info, but this seems a relatively inexpensive fix (if you have a 3D printer).

(I'm not sure why that thumbnail is broken: the full-size image works fine)

Get the Jeda Spacer, that’s what I had to do, $25.00 shipped unless they have some type of Black Friday deal. Without the case you can position the phone at a 45 degree angle and wedge it in. This is a picture of the Jeda Spacer. Using a IPhone XS Max with the Rokform case. As you can see there is still 1/4 more room left for any size case.

View attachment 608997

Purchased this and installed in 3 minutes. Immediately fixed the no-charging issue.

Reactions: Wennfred
Those of you who are having problems with wireless charging, does the phone not charge at all or does it start charging and stop? I have an iphone 12 Pro Max with a thin Spigen case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BGCD8CW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details and with case on, the phone indicates that it is charging for about 5-7 seconds and then it stops every time. It seems to charge without the case. I am wondering whether I have an unusually weak charger that I should have them replace or whether the start and stop is the symptom that all of you experience when charging with a case? Thanks.

Those of you who are having problems with wireless charging, does the phone not charge at all or does it start charging and stop? I have an iphone 12 Pro Max with a thin Spigen case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BGCD8CW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details and with case on, the phone indicates that it is charging for about 5-7 seconds and then it stops every time. It seems to charge without the case. I am wondering whether I have an unusually weak charger that I should have them replace or whether the start and stop is the symptom that all of you experience when charging with a case? Thanks.
We had the same problem with the OEM wireless charging on our Model Y. Tesla service confirmed OEM charger coil placement was the issue and our phones would only charge of we didn't use a case. We swapped it out for an aftermarket charger that worked all the time. Later, we swapped out the entire center console for the new style. Fortunately, the wireless charging in the new center console works because it can't be removed.

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
We had the same problem with the OEM wireless charging on our Model Y. Tesla service confirmed OEM charger coil placement was the issue and our phones would only charge of we didn't use a case. We swapped it out for an aftermarket charger that worked all the time. Later, we swapped out the entire center console for the new style. Fortunately, the wireless charging in the new center console works because it can't be removed.

You purchased and installed the new Model Y center console?

I too am having charging issues with my iPhone 11 with a Supcase case:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XFNL7S4/
I love this case but it does not charge on the stock charging pad UNLESS I remove the bottom piece on the charger pad and slide the phone down! the case has a metal-like kickstand and I originally thought that was the problem. So, if you want a real test, then remove the bottom piece as if you were going to put in the Jeda spacer, and then slowly slide the phone down, then you'll know if its the coil location or the case.