Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charger - IPhone 12 Max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Jeda v3 with the spacer installed but no lightning cables. My 12 Pro Max is in the Apple MagSafe case. It works fine both portrait and landscape. I seem to remember the documentation saying the spacer was needed to allow room for larger phones.

Reactions: Mohain
Hm... I just got my Y back from the detailer and tried out the charger. It always worked on my 11 Pro Max, but the 12 Pro Max just isn’t charging... I’m not so sure that a spacer would work if it’s an issue with the coil alignment. I don’t know what to do :(

If you’re not currently using a spacer, remove the stock piece by sliding it to the left and place the IPhone 12 on the Pad but lower it to see if it starts to charge. If it still doesn’t charge, connect a usb Device or a charge cord into the USB socket to ensure you are getting power. Sometimes the USB hub isn’t connected inside or simply not working and will need to be replaced.

Fred

Reactions: MattM24
If you’re using an iPhone 12 with a MagSafe case or without a case, you can simply plug in a MagSafe charger into the USB-C port. Here is my simple install using double-sided tape. I subsequently wrapped the white cord in black electrical tape to make it less conspicuous.

Attachments

• C93B436D-3832-4B45-9EBD-87C0BF1ADA36.jpeg
    C93B436D-3832-4B45-9EBD-87C0BF1ADA36.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 141
If you’re using an iPhone 12 with a MagSafe case or without a case, you can simply plug in a MagSafe charger into the USB-C port. Here is my simple install using double-sided tape. I subsequently wrapped the white cord in black electrical tape to make it less conspicuous.

That’s a temporary workaround, but not an acceptable solution for me. I’ll probably just look for a pad with larger coils

I ordered the same cover for my iPhone 12 pro max.
I may be returning my apple leather case and saving $40. Thanks for the recommendation

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Apple MagSafe Leather case and the Tesla branded wireless pad for my Model 3 and it charges fine. The fit is tight and I have to push the phone down/under the bottom “lip” a little, but it ends up fitting and charging fine.

Got my new charging plate, however it has USB A to USB c cables. Since the Model Y has 2 USB C inputs, I have to now order a USB C to USB C cable. Here is the issue, the Tesla charging plate has one power cable that powers both sides of the charging plate. The new plate has two separate cords for each side the charging plate, so if you have 2 phones on the plate you would need both cables plugged in. Here is the problem, the other USB port on the car is for the USB storage for the TeslaCam. I looked into USB splitters however it looks like only one output is for power and the other is for music. 2 questions: You guys think the music port will transfer data for the TeslaCam and is there an alternative data port to plug into for the TeslaCam.

Got my new charging plate, however it has USB A to USB c cables. Since the Model Y has 2 USB C inputs, I have to now order a USB C to USB C cable. Here is the issue, the Tesla charging plate has one power cable that powers both sides of the charging plate. The new plate has two separate cords for each side the charging plate, so if you have 2 phones on the plate you would need both cables plugged in. Here is the problem, the other USB port on the car is for the USB storage for the TeslaCam. I looked into USB splitters however it looks like only one output is for power and the other is for music. 2 questions: You guys think the music port will transfer data for the TeslaCam and is there an alternative data port to plug into for the TeslaCam.
Sounds like you need a USB hub.

There are no multiport USB C hubs that output power that I have found

And I doubt that you will find any. It would be a niche product, no volume marketplace, so if one did exist it would be expen$$$ive. You have to understand how USB-C PD works to realize not really feasible or possible.

A USB-C hub is going to power up with a default config of 5V and 2A = 10W available when first connected to the car. That can be increased via protocol negotiation upstream to the car for the voltage (5-20V) and current (2-5A) needed by the PD port on that hub, up to 100W max (20V x 5A). There is no support for multiple different channels each with their own PD requirements, the USB-C connector only has a single power channel, 4 connections internally to share the current but all operate on the same negotiated voltage. So what happens if we have 2 PD ports on a hub and both are trying to negotiate something different? The upstream source can only supply one voltage/current combination, whatever that is, so this will limit you to one PD connection.

So how would the second PD port on the USB hub get the power it needs? And how do we take into consideration the power asked for by each PD port and make sure that the total power being requested does not exceed the 100W max possible? You would need some custom electronics for power management in the hub to ask for the max voltage/current/power from the car and then locally adjust in the hub to supply to different PD ports. Basically you would be adding hubs inside the hub, a hack/kludge to get around the spec and limitations. That would be expensive, potentially bulky, and nobody would pay for that, no volumes for ROI.

So the only way for it to work would be to use second USB-C port that is also PD capable from the car (use one of the ones for the rear passengers). Or the dual USB-C connections from the device would need to be reduced to a single connection somehow inside that device and that power shared internally inside that device, but that is a product redesign, not something you would be able to do.

It does not make any sense for a single device to have dual USB-C connections and each one is for PD. The only way that could ever work is for the car to offer up multiple PD capable ports. If this is indeed what they are doing then it sounds like a poorly made product, sticking 2 separate chargers inside a single enclosure/pad/box and having 2 USB-C cables come out for high power, and making it the customer's problem, instead of designing the electronics inside their product to work with a single USB-C connection. That dual USB-C cabling does not make any sense to me, if this is correct.

I seriously doubt that you will ever find a USB-C hub that will let you connect multiple PD devices to it, not possible without some exotic electronics inside and nobody will offer that up without a return on their investment.

More info for those who may be interested. Sales presentation from ST on their USB-C offerings, provides a nice introduction to USB-C

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/reso...ntent/translations/en.APEC_2016_USB_Power.pdf

Guess we’ll have to wait for Tesla to update their wireless Qi charger. I’m still wondering if the new center console in the Model 3 is any different, and will allow people with an iPhone 12 Pro Max to charge their phones. Does it allow for bigger phones to charge?

Reactions: seniorcitizen
Wireless charger not working with iPhone Max. Lower lip is holding the phone too high to connect so removed lower lip of wireless pad. Phone slides down but unfortunately not a solution as the phone slides down into the storage area. Any ideas other than a retrofitted lower pad lip.

Wondering if it's a iPhone 12 thing. I have the 12 mini, and it's always been a challenge to get it to charge since I got it on the 13th. I have to place it, and then slowly drag it downward to the lip that holds it, and it sometimes (60% of the time) begins to charge. It's done the same thing with the Apple clear MagSafe case, and with a Spigen rugged armor and liquid armor (non-MagSafe) cases, and without a case. Note that with my iPhone 11 Pro, the last phone I had, with the same Spigen case, and without, it was fine. It was not resolved with iOS 14.2.1 either. Weird.