Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charger options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek did a video review of the Nomad charger. It's a good review, but misses some important issues. And can I be the only one who has received defective units??

Here's the review. Hands-on: Nomad Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 [Video]

And here is the comment I posted:

I have both a Tesla Model 3, AND the Nomad wireless charger. I was part of the initial charging pad pre-order, so I have about 3-week's experience with my Nomad.

Pro: Looks and fits wonderfully. Hell, looks better than the factory rubber pad which honestly looks a bit cheap in comparison. Holds phones great. Drop-dead easy to install.

Con: A bit tough to pick up each phone when they're both down, because they sit so close. A bit hard to see the LED indicators down there between the phones without leaning to the middle of the car. Has a "built in" battery that I never wanted, and I worry about for longevity and safety in a hot car. The USB cables are too short! You can even see it in the video, but nobody seems to mention this problem that Nomad already knows they have. To plug those in, you need to lift the hinged platform, but if you lift it all the way, the cables won't reach the outlets. So you plug them in blindly with the shelf only part-way up. Now if you or a passenger or Tesla service comes along and needs access to those ports, you may well lift that shelf all the way and damage the cables or even the ports. Huge miss when you consider that an extra 2 inches of cable length is the solution. So $10 in USB cable extenders later, I'm reasonably happy with that issue... though not with the extra expense and clutter. When I asked Nomad about the cable length, they replied "We've heard this concern from other customers and are working on it. In the meantime, cable extenders will solve the problem for you." Ha, I thought they were sending me the extenders. But no, they meant that I should go buy them.

And the big con (so to speak)... My neighbor and I bought these together, and his has never worked, while mine has become inconsistent. He gets amber/white flash of the LEDs and no charging ever. I get charging sometimes, and that same LED flash other times. No way to tell when. Mine has mostly worked for three weeks, but I have seen the "no-charge" situation more and more in the past few days. We have asked for warranty replacement.

Note that immediately after Tesla's V9 of the software was widely distributed, Nomad stopped including the battery in the devices. The front ports of the Model 3 are now high-powered (used to be just 1A, and thus the battery was needed as a buffer for faster phone charging). So they immediately made that change... no indication about cable length though.

And I final note - I never wanted the internal battery for the reasons I mentioned above, and even before shopping for a charger, I added two 2.1A additional outlets up front next to the factory USB outlets (tapped into the power wires that the factor "cigarette lighter socket" uses). These new USB ports are only for power, of course (no data) and intended for faster charging of my devices, while leaving my data ports free for music and the dash cam. So I've never needed nor wanted that internal battery in the charging pad. Eliminating it is a great step forward.... though I'm a bit annoyed that the price didn't drop now that the device is cheaper and easier to make. And the cables! Give us proper cable length!

Summary: Slick unit that looks great with thoughtful design. Removing the battery should make it robust and durable. Adding some cable length makes it perfect (save for the price which I agree is at least $30 too high to make sense.)

Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3 looks like it supports charging of QC2 and QC 3 up to 10W for Samsung S9 and S10
So I can run the 12v socket to the front charging pads and have 10W on each side with full use of the front facing camera USB and USB music. What's not to like?

• The fast charging option uses QC2.0 USB port as input, the normal wireless charger also works with other portable QC2.0 or QC3.0 power banks to enable fast charging, with QC2.0 or QC3.0 power input, 7.5W wireless charging on iPhone, 10W wireless charging on Android devices will be supported

Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3 looks like it supports charging of QC2 and QC 3 up to 10W for Samsung S9 and S10
So I can run the 12v socket to the front charging pads and have 10W on each side with full use of the front facing camera USB and USB music. What's not to like?

• The fast charging option uses QC2.0 USB port as input, the normal wireless charger also works with other portable QC2.0 or QC3.0 power banks to enable fast charging, with QC2.0 or QC3.0 power input, 7.5W wireless charging on iPhone, 10W wireless charging on Android devices will be supported
I tend to agree, and have already returned my Nomad for credit and ordered the other.

Anyone have any experience with the TapTes model? I'm curious why it's less than half the price. When it comes to charging, tires, brakes I'm not sure why peoope cut corners... If it's a quality product I'm interested before I order the nomad but I'm not a fan of the Hong Kong shipping...

Anyone have any experience with the TapTes model? I'm curious why it's less than half the price. When it comes to charging, tires, brakes I'm not sure why peoope cut corners... If it's a quality product I'm interested before I order the nomad but I'm not a fan of the Hong Kong shipping...
Taptes new wireless charging pad

I think both ship from Hong Kong. I ordered a Nomad in November and its backordered until Jan. 15. I also ordered a Taptes and it should be here soon. Currently in customs at LAX.

If you are not a fan of Hong Kong shipping, then you may not like the Nomad either.

Feel free to read around. The folks who own them have been posting for your pleasure.