Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charger throwdown - who wins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the Jeda V2. Three issues with it:

1) The vertical charge locations don't always trigger a charge with my Google Pixel 3 (not XL). If the phone were bigger this might work ok... it sometimes work and sometimes not. The horizontal location always works.

2) The pad scuffs pretty easily.. much more easily than the original Tesla pad

3) It's made to fit in a few holes... the male part (on the underside of the Jeda pad) is made of hard plastic. It doesn't fit tight enough in the bottom right hole such that it squeaks when driving over bumpy terrain. This is driving me crazy and I need to find a solution.

Last edited:
BTW, Taptes has a new model coming that supports charging in landscape orientation just like the Jeda v2. Still $49 and supposed to start shipping in about 3 weeks. If I had to get a new charger that's probably the one I would get.

Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model 3, Wireless Charging Pad/Mat

Thanks for this info. It's very timely and interesting to me since I'm looking for a mat right now. My only concern is one of the pics on the Taptes site show a cable charging the landscape phone. The other does not. I'm a little confused if the landscape is truly wireless or not (or maybe it's both). Hopefully time will tell when it's released. I might email the question to them.

Thanks for this info. It's very timely and interesting to me since I'm looking for a mat right now. My only concern is one of the pics on the Taptes site show a cable charging the landscape phone. The other does not. I'm a little confused if the landscape is truly wireless or not (or maybe it's both).
It's both. It has a third coil for horizontal wireless charging, but you can also use a charging cable (USB-C) for phones that don't support Qi charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjh1234
I just installed a “2nd gen” Nomad. Originally ordered a Jeda 2 weeks ago but it was out of stock. Got tired of waiting. Saw the Nomad in stock, ordered it, cancelled the Jeda. Nomad shipped 2-day priority.

Very happy with the Nomad. My phone (iPhone XS) and Smart Battery case charge just great on it. Used the included USB splitter for my dashcam/music 128GB Sandisk USB stick. Works great. (FYI - the splitter leg with the clear band around it is the “data” side. Hook the Nomad up to the other leg.)

Nothing bad to say about Jeda either - just bad timing on my part, that’s all. All reviews I’ve read have been of a quality product for sure.

Don’t think you can go wrong with either Nomad or Jeda.
Can you hook the splitter up to the left USB port and plug both Nomad USB connections into it?

I have the Dash Cam USB on the right port, so I didn’t know if the splitter worked the way I asked.

Can you hook the splitter up to the left USB port and plug both Nomad USB connections into it?

I have the Dash Cam USB on the right port, so I didn’t know if the splitter worked the way I asked.

No, you don’t want to do that. You want the Nomad to draw power from both ports.

Put the USB stick on the other half of one of the splitters - the leg of the splitter with the clear band around it carries data - that’s the one you want to put the USB stick on.

Just received the Jeda V2. Three issues with it:

1) The vertical charge locations don't always trigger a charge with my Google Pixel 3 (not XL). If the phone were bigger this might work ok... it sometimes work and sometimes not. The horizontal location always works.

2) The pad scuffs pretty easily.. much more easily than the original Tesla pad

3) It's made to fit in a few holes... the male part (on the underside of the Jeda pad) is made of hard plastic. It doesn't fit tight enough in the bottom right hole such that it squeaks when driving over bumpy terrain. This is driving me crazy and I need to find a solution.

I can confirm the squeak/rattle of the Gen 2 Jeda pad on roads with "loud" asphalt. You don't hear it with music playing, but in an otherwise very quiet car, this is annoying. The OEM pad has a much tighter fitting (silent) design that the Jeda lacks.

No, you don’t want to do that. You want the Nomad to draw power from both ports.

Put the USB stick on the other half of one of the splitters - the leg of the splitter with the clear band around it carries data - that’s the one you want to put the USB stick on.
Thanks! I just got mine and it’s awesome!

Question - is the Nomad (or any of these other wireless chargers) UL Rated?

The Tesla OEM wireless charger has only 5W of power per side, per specs.

Looks like Taptes has a 3rd generation Dual Phone Wireless Charging Pad on sale for only $39.99 (as of 5/9/19) and it comes with detachable cables, USB splitter cables, as well as horizontal charging support, just like the 2,5x more expensive Jeda. Unlike the Jeda it also has amber LED charging LED indicators.

According to published specs the TapTes one can do 10W fast charging on each side, but obviously only if you power it directly from the 12v switched, similar to the way I did it.

I have been using all the TapTes chargers from Gen1 onwards due to lower cost, and my Gen3 is in transit. I will advise if I find any issues.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
(I corrected your date in my quote).

If you order through Amazon, while the price is (as of 9/5/19) $44.99, there is a 25% off coupon bringing the price down to $33.74. So I ordered one.

I did not see any 25 % coupon for the #44.99 version. But there was another item for $29.99 from the same company that has 2 USB splitter and appears similar to what is seen on TapTes website.

20011310-691E-45F2-B602-26A7CA2B6E23.jpeg
I did not see any 25 % coupon for the $44.99 version.
Your $29.99 price is for the gen 2 I believe. The $44.99 one is gen 3. The coupon isn't available for me (since I already purchased), but I had a friend check and the coupon is still available. It is on the "Amazon's Choice" one and it is a check box that isn't big and in your face.

[edit] Here is a screen shot with the coupon checkbox circled

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamban
View attachment 451116 Your $29.99 price is for the gen 2 I believe. The $44.99 one is gen 3. The coupon isn't available for me (since I already purchased), but I had a friend check and the coupon is still available. It is on the "Amazon's Choice" one and it is a check box that isn't big and in your face.

[edit] Here is a screen shot with the coupon checkbox circled

That looks like the older gen. Notice the divider? It's going all the way down near the bottom. The gen 3 stops about midway to support horizontal charging.