Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging essentially useless in the summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
So I have a Pixel 6 and have charged it wirelessly in my Model 3 using the factory wireless charging pad. However, once the summer temps have kicked in, I've noticed that I usually get very little charge when using the car's wireless charging pad. I think my phone heats up to the point it stops charging and basically all the wireless charging pad does is heat up my phone even more. Even if I stick my phone in in the HVAC slot to cool down for a while, if I place it back on the wireless pad later it eventually heats up to the point it wont' charge pretty quickly.

So is the wireless charging pad more or less useless in the summer or what? I use the USB-C port to charge my phone most of the time now.

It's completely worthless with endless overheating and zero charging with both my Pixel 5 and my Pixel 6 Pro. I've been trying to find any information pointing to any phone that reliably works with the factory charging pad so I can purchase and use that phone. Otherwise, I'm considering unplugging the charging pad to use solely as a holder that won't melt my battery!

I charge my Galaxy S21 without any issues to include in the Florida heat. My phone charges very quickly without excessive heat.

Maybe it's an issues with the Google phone since a few of you mentioned the same issue with a Google phone.

Last edited:
I have a Galaxy S21 and wireless charging is very inconsistent and unreliable. I don't think it depends on the hot summer days as I've noticed slow charging in the mornings in San Francisco when it's quite cold. My commute is about 45 minutes and I'll leave in the morning with my phone with anywhere between 60-80% charge. When I get to work, sometimes it has not increased in SoC at all, sometimes I get 10% more during the commute and sometimes I get to work and it charges fully. I am listening to YouTube Music through bluetooth the whole time and that can't be the drain since I can go on an hour long run and the battery will on drop 5%.

If I'm desperate for my phone to charge, I just use a USB-C cable that I leave in the center console...

This likely has to do with charging coil locations being different.

Pixel 6 is offset the side and near center of phone, phone height is 6.2"
f30taMw.png

Pixel 6 Pro is less offset, but phone height is 6.5"
fs490s9bi6x71.jpg

S22 instead has it positioned lower and phone itself is shorter at 5.75"
galaxy_s22_s22_plus_layout_rear_view-853x1024.jpg

13 Max (6.33" tall) and Pro (5.78") here:
CQQNlFQDljgFCDNu

It seems shorter phones that have it lower does better with Tesla's pad. If the coil on your phone is not in the center, sometimes rotating it so phone is upside down (if coil near top) or sideways (although then the divider in middle may block the way) may help. If your device is significantly shorter (like 12 mini at 5.18") there are some spacers sold that can add height to align with coils.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but from this silicone pad, the coils in the Model 3 appear to be lower:
s-l1600.jpg

So if you have a really tall phone with coil positioned higher up in the phone, it may be completely misaligned.

The Model 3 was launched in 2018 although refresh was later, it may have carried on the older pad's design, so the popular phone of that era is a iPhone X (5.65" tall) with charging pad in the middle. That would suggest center point around 2.825". Couldn't find teardown however to confirm.

Again, I have mentioned this in other thread, but I wish phone makers and charger makers would put some indicator on their devices where the center of the coil is so that there is a reference point for alignment.

Last edited:
I have a Galaxy S21 and wireless charging is very inconsistent and unreliable. I don't think it depends on the hot summer days as I've noticed slow charging in the mornings in San Francisco when it's quite cold. My commute is about 45 minutes and I'll leave in the morning with my phone with anywhere between 60-80% charge. When I get to work, sometimes it has not increased in SoC at all, sometimes I get 10% more during the commute and sometimes I get to work and it charges fully. I am listening to YouTube Music through bluetooth the whole time and that can't be the drain since I can go on an hour long run and the battery will on drop 5%.

If I'm desperate for my phone to charge, I just use a USB-C cable that I leave in the center console...
My S21 and my wife's S20 FE both have always charged flawlessly...even in the summer...it's consistently 96-105 here in the summer.

Reactions: Jo060
Not for the 12 mini. Probably because its too short to properly align with the charging coil (coils?). Sometimes, maybe, I get the charge starting chime but all that happens is the phone gets hot.
I pull a charging cable from the back to avoid keeping the centre console ajar. Less than great.
My wife puts her 13 Mini upside down on the charging pad which works fine!

Reactions: Japerz
Just generally useless, all seasons, haha. I just got mine last week, but I quickly learned it's not powerful enough. I drove for 3 hours with my Pixel 3 playing over bluetooth and discovered my phone was like at 20% from 90% after about an hour and half. My podcast app uses a fair amount of juice to play at 1.5x speed, but it couldn't keep up at all.

I tried again today, tried flipping it upside down, and it basically still lost 1% per minute while connected BT and playing 1.5x. I plugged in to my 12v adapter and it added about 1% per minute while playing.

Just generally useless, all seasons, haha. I just got mine last week, but I quickly learned it's not powerful enough. I drove for 3 hours with my Pixel 3 playing over bluetooth and discovered my phone was like at 20% from 90% after about an hour and half. My podcast app uses a fair amount of juice to play at 1.5x speed, but it couldn't keep up at all.

I tried again today, tried flipping it upside down, and it basically still lost 1% per minute while connected BT and playing 1.5x. I plugged in to my 12v adapter and it added about 1% per minute while playing.
Another pixel issue.