Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charging in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a wireless charger system installed yet? I am sure we have to have a few by now.

I see in the US pluglesspower dot com has a 7.2kw Tesla one for US$3000, any takers yet?

It will sure solve a lot of issues here in Hong Kong to have an "out of sight, out of mind" charger hidden in concrete under your car where you park.

Last edited:
None that I've heard of (anywhere).

It is not really an '"out of sight, out of mind" charger hidden in concrete' at all, and I don't see how it solves any problems with charging that I've seen.

It does however have the drawbacks of power losses, modifications to the vehicle, and requiring installation BOTH on the wall and floor. We also reverse park here in HK.

upload_2017-5-29_7-54-36.png

The unit below the car can be buried (shallow) and the cable to it can be as long as required (within reason).

For anyone living in a village house, normally installing a charger at your parking spot or even just charging there will get you into trouble with the lands department.

This is an ideal solution in such cases. The wall unit can be in your house, and there are no obvious signs of charging at your parking spot.

As with many things here in Wrong Kong...out of sight, out of mind.

For anyone living in a village house, normally installing a charger at your parking spot or even just charging there will get you into trouble with the lands department.

If anybody here is experiencing this, please let me know. Myself and Charged.HK would love to get involved in a case like that. So long as it is a designated village parking spot, and the EVSE installation follows the published government guidelines, the Lands department should back off.

I guess the issue you are referring to may be installation of the EVSE on government land (rather than on the wall of the village house)? If so, I don't think the wireless solution shown is any different - it just requires an extra piece of equipment permanently on the ground (as well as a level surface and concrete pad).

Reactions: T.E.S.L.A
If anybody here is experiencing this, please let me know. Myself and Charged.HK would love to get involved in a case like that. So long as it is a designated village parking spot, and the EVSE installation follows the published government guidelines, the Lands department should back off.

I guess the issue you are referring to may be installation of the EVSE on government land (rather than on the wall of the village house)? If so, I don't think the wireless solution shown is any different - it just requires an extra piece of equipment permanently on the ground (as well as a level surface and concrete pad).

Unfortunately, it is extremely rare to have a parking spot (especially on private land) right next to your house in Hong Kong. Some are very lucky, but it is rare. Normally, even if you park on a piece of private land designated as a parking spot, then there is probably some form of government land between your house and said parking spot.

Most EV cars end up parking on d.i.y. concreted or tiled over government land as close as they can get to their house, and everyone (including the Lands dept) is more than happy with people doing that....until some idiot officially complains about it, which tends to happen if you install any form of, well..anything. In a matter of days, the Lands department (who loves their excursions) will be there in groups with cameras and clipboards to take photos of the heinous crime. A notice and a fence or concrete blocks will quite likely follow, and you will lose any possibility of charging your EV from home. Normally it does not get to that if there are no complaints, until you install any type of device or structure on the spot where you park.

Having the option of a wireless charger gives you the possibility of placing the pad under a very thin layer of concrete or tile, and the wire that runs to it can also be buried under ground. The other part of the charger's hardware can be mounted to the side of your house, with the cable buried from there to the pad.

Out of sight; out of mind and you will be left alone indefinitely.

5e43496c4341cc7f101c1e7466e2691d.jpg

Capish?

Last edited:
Reactions: Algbc
Out of sight; out of mind and you will be left alone indefinitely.

Capish?

Yep, I get it. You are suggesting that the short time construction project of burying the equipment under the concrete pad will be less likely to be noticed (and complained about) than plugging in every few days. You're probably right. Even though the installation itself is much more demanding, and considering that the land being constructed on does not belong to you.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the technology for this is here yet. These systems require a relatively narrow gap between the charging pad and the receiver under the car, as well as accurate alignment between the pad and the receiver. Plugless Power (the one you mention) requires a 4" gap and accurate alignment - which is why they want a flat concrete platform over the entire car parking space, and their charging pad is raised 2.7" above the level of that concrete platform. Certainly around where I live (Sai Kung, Clearwater Bay), the village parking spaces are on slopes, gravelled, and concrete platforms are minimal.

The systems I've seen for commercial buses actually have a motorised receiver pad on the vehicle that lowers down onto the buried charging pad (to keep the gap narrow, and so optimise efficiency).

(magic happens at 1:40 into the video)

Perhaps you can contact Plugless Power and see what they can recommend? They should know the installation parameters for their system.

Found the installation guide for Plugless Power:

https://www.pluglesspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Plugless_QuickGuide_ParkingConfig_print.pdf
  1. Plugless is a powerful Level 2 charger and requires a 240V circuit or outlet within 1 ft of Control Panel bottom.
  2. Your car must be able to park within 12’ of the Control Panel in order for the power cable to reach the Parking Pad.
  3. You will need clear line-of-sight to the Plugless Control Panel display indicators as you park.
  4. The parking surface should be flat and solid so the Parking Pad sits level with the rear tires. The Parking Pad cannot be sunk into the ground.
The technology is evolving, but today those seem to be the restrictions for this system.