Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging in M3 makes phone very hot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not seen this discussed anywhere yet.

Has anyone else noticed that the wireless charger pads on the M3 make the phone very hot? Also, the phone charges very slowly.

I know wireless chargers are inefficient, and a lot of energy is transferred into heat, but my phone is not in a case, and the wireless charger I use at home charges it quicker, with less heat increase.

Reactions: GSP
@MoBo - do you have an iPhone and use MagSafe when charging at home? It is optimised for iPhone charging, generates less heat and is faster than other chargers in my experience. My iPhone 13 with MagSafe cover also gets hot in the M3, but less so than my wife's 11 Pro without MagSafe. Could be part of the issue? Otherwise likely just misalignment as others have said.

It doesn’t help that the vibration of the car causes it to constantly stop and start charging (you’ll hear your phone constantly beep if you have the charging notification sounds on) - mine seems to charge faster screen down on the pad - especially when it’s in its case if you try that you might get better results.

Reactions: s7gpt
... in the "olden days" our Model 3s didn't come with a wireless charger ... but £30 bought a perfect fit replacement for the standard mat with scope to place large phone sideways or 2 phones vertically ... or keep one side disabled to place the phone on when charging is done. A little piece of Chinese wizardry that has worked beautifully (from Taptes).

Not seen this discussed anywhere yet.

Has anyone else noticed that the wireless charger pads on the M3 make the phone very hot? Also, the phone charges very slowly.

I know wireless chargers are inefficient, and a lot of energy is transferred into heat, but my phone is not in a case, and the wireless charger I use at home charges it quicker, with less heat increase.
An on/off option is meant to be coming

My understanding is that if there is greater resistance there will be more heat. I have a dual wireless charger on my home office desk and I put my AirPods on them (in a case) and the case gets quite hot because it’s adding distance from the actual coil.

I have a MagSafe charger in my office. I normally take the outer wallet off as it’s very thick and won’t normally charge. If using the inner case with magnetic alignment it doesn’t get more than a little warm, but with the outer case and hit and miss alignment, it got much warmer. So a poorly located pad definitely has an impact on temperatures and probably charge speed.

I was thinking of getting an after market charge pad for the car but was never convinced the phone wouldn’t slide around. One day I will get around to 3D printing a riser for the front lip to allow the phone to plug in to USB with the case on. That should also stop the phone from moving.