Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging in M3 makes phone very hot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mat in the car only has a single coil for each phone charger and - as noted in this thread - you get heat when the coils don't line up properly.

I won't bother questioning why Tesla didn't just fit it with dual coils in each pad to reduce this problem like dozens of cheap desktop stands do.

Anyway. In the case of the larger iPhones putting them in the holder upside down lines the coils up much better and you don't generate as much heat.

The mat in the car only has a single coil for each phone charger and - as noted in this thread - you get heat when the coils don't line up properly.

I won't bother questioning why Tesla didn't just fit it with dual coils in each pad to reduce this problem like dozens of cheap desktop stands do.

Anyway. In the case of the larger iPhones putting them in the holder upside down lines the coils up much better and you don't generate as much heat.
Thanks good suggestion. Will try that.

I am experiencing a similar issue but only on the right charging pad.

’22 M3LR

Both an iPhone 13 Pro and a OnePlus 9 Pro both get hot on the right pad and normal (warm but not hot) on the left side. The OnePlus gets almost too hot to touch and doesn’t really charge on the right side.

Not seen this discussed anywhere yet.

Has anyone else noticed that the wireless charger pads on the M3 make the phone very hot? Also, the phone charges very slowly.

I know wireless chargers are inefficient, and a lot of energy is transferred into heat, but my phone is not in a case, and the wireless charger I use at home charges it quicker, with less heat increase.
A relatively new iPhone S gets too hot to hold just in use after 30 secs, when it shuts down. Abandoned it.

I saw a video where the French built a motorway which had induction charging built in. Somehow it cost more that our psychotic “smart” motorways. Just like our roads, it cost an eye watering amount of money and also just like our “smart” motorways, it don’t work. They abandoned the project - sadly we are continuing at the cost of billions to the tax payer!

I don't recall having an issue with my pixel 4a 5G but with the Pixel 6 Pro now, it's always hot and even draining the battery and throwing heat warnings in Android, will try flipping it upside down but otherwise I just run a cable from the center console. Very disappointed as I was quite excited for the wireless charging pads.

My iPhone with mag safe and mag safe case gets so hot I get a message that says charging has been turned off.
What model?
I rarely use a mobile except for emergencies but I had to get an iPhone 6S a year ago and it gets so hot it can't be held - this not charging but just switched on. Apparently it's common with that model - and Apple know about it but.....

Can you disable one side of the built-in charger? The early cars didn’t come with an induction charger so I bought a bespoke 3rd party version for a heady £30! Each side can be plugged in or not so I leave one side inactive and can move the phone over before it hits 100%. The phone gets a little warm sometimes but never what I would call hot.