Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Taptes still the de-facto in wireless charging? Are there any USB-C solutions? I did the cable route method, which works fine for the most part, but it would be nice not to have to constantly ram either device in everytime. Plus the iPhone doesn't fit with a case for whatever reason so it's a PITA.

I already have the USB-C cable up there. Does anyone know if I can use a splitter or if there are any mats that use it?

For the money, the Taptes seems to be the best option. Mine has worked flawlessly so far. Similar to the Tesla/Nomad for way less money.

The Taptes does have a short USB-C cord integrated into the ledge if you ever want to charge corded similar to what you do now. It also includes all the proper cords to plug into the car, and a pair of USB splitters so just power is routed to the wireless charger and you’ll still have a pair of open USB-A data ports for using a flash drive. So it seems to check all the boxes you described.

The only thing you can’t do with the front USB ports or any wireless charger is fast charge beyond 10W. For that you’d have to plug into the 12V port near the rear of the console.

that's what i'm trying to figure out - i want to fast-charge with it. i already have a USB-C cable ran, but the wireless chargers are all micro-USB. thought about getting a usb-c powered hub, but i'm not finding the right one. i'd rather not redo my setup if i don't have to.

that's what i'm trying to figure out - i want to fast-charge with it. i already have a USB-C cable ran, but the wireless chargers are all micro-USB. thought about getting a usb-c powered hub, but i'm not finding the right one. i'd rather not redo my setup if i don't have to.

Running high power USB-C into a wireless charger won’t make it any quicker on an iPhone. All iPhones have a 7.5W wireless charging limit, so the 10W output of the cars front USB ports with micro USB cables going to the 10W wireless chargers in the Taptes pad will max out the phone capability regardless.

If you want to fast charge, I think you have to plug your phone into the 12V socket in the back of the console and use an quick charger.

How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

Is Taptes still the de-facto in wireless charging? Are there any USB-C solutions? I did the cable route method, which works fine for the most part, but it would be nice not to have to constantly ram either device in everytime. Plus the iPhone doesn't fit with a case for whatever reason so it's a PITA.

I already have the USB-C cable up there. Does anyone know if I can use a splitter or if there are any mats that use it?
I bought the taptes for my Yellowstone trip and man from the front usb it charge my xs max super super slow. It about 5 hrs to reach 100%. For daily driving to work that would be too slow for me. Wasn’t impressed at all. I returned it.

I bought the taptes for my Yellowstone trip and man from the front usb it charge my xs max super super slow. It about 5 hrs to reach 100%. For daily driving to work that would be too slow for me. Wasn’t impressed at all. I returned it.

Yeah - I don’t think all of them are slow for the iPhone. I have a wireless charger on my BMW and rarely use it. Use a fast charger on my 12v socket. If you ever use Waze and listen to music from your phone, the wireless charger will barely keep up.

I use the nomad, because I thought it was better made. When I bought it, the only wireless pads available were the jeda and the nomad. Tesla didnt have one or I might have bought that one since i tend to prefer items from the manufacturer, for the simple reason that if there is a problem, I can go after one company (they cant say "its your aftermarket XXX".

I also use the USB adapters made by a person here on TMC who is a hardware engineer in his day job, but made USB adapters that allow more power through the front ports as a side gig (for himself at first then decided to sell them).

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

They have a data and charger port, with the charger port providing the max amount of energy the ports on the model 3 pre change can provide. Having two of these adapters gives you 4 USB ports, with 2 of them being higher power ports (thus you can plug them into your wireless charger mats that want two usb connections) while still having data ports for USB cables / drives, etc.

Has worked perfectly since I got them, through multiple car updates etc.

The cost of the items was not a criteria of me picking them, though. Only the performance, and quality feel / look.

Reactions: lUtriaNt

I just read this on Techcrunch Tesla’s US-made Model 3 vehicles now come equipped with wireless charging and USB-C ports – TechCrunch