Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging pad question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just purchased and installed the wireless charging pad from Tesla and it doesn’t work with my thin case installed on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. If I totally remove the case it works. But let’s face it, who ACTUALLY uses a slippery a$$ iPhone without some sort of a case? I could understand it if this was one of the thick, heavy armored cases, it’s not. It’s just a simple alcantara thin case, similar in size to the leather Apple case.

It works inside the case with the wireless charging pad in my Denali, the Samsung charging pad on my desk and the wireless charger built into a lamp my daughter has so I’m sure it’s the Tesla pad that’s the problem.

Anybody else have the same problem or did I get a bad charging pad from Tesla?

I have the Tesla charger with the same iPhone 11 Pro Max with the regular Apple leather case. No problem. Having tried both the leather and the silicon versions I prefer the leather. You might want to try it. Thin, light, adequate protection. Works fine with the Tesla wireless charger.

My case is pretty much identical to the Apple leather cases (had a few of them on past iPhones) I just prefer the look and feel of this Alcantara case, but as far as size and thickness go, it’s all but the same as the Apple case. My daughter’s iPhone X doesn’t work either unless you take the case off and she has a really thin plastic one.

I also plugged the charger into a high amp USB outlet in my house and it will only work with the case removed. I wonder if Tesla will take it back or exchange it since it “technically works” but not nearly as well as every other wireless charger I’ve tried...

I also hate the fact it takes up both USB ports, where are we supposed to plug in the thumb drive for the cameras?

I don't want to turn this into a wireless charging war or Android VS. Iphone but I have an Iphone XR for work and my personal is a Samsung Note10+. Both have, I'd say average size cases on them, (I try and get them sleek but tough enough to survive a fall on a hard floor)

They both charge fine on my TapTes wireless charger, however the iphone XR just magically stopped wireless charging one day. After double checking all the settings on the phone and the cords to the charger to no avail, I did a simple reboot of the iphone and it started being able to wireless charge again. Been working since.

Sounds to me your problem may be your charger though, seeing how it charges on everything else but your Tesla (whatever brand it is) wireless charger. If it were me and it continues after a reboot, I'd look on amazon for cases that specifically say wireless charges up to a certain MM etc.. That might get you past a weak wireless Tesla charger.

13D957B6-FA9D-41AC-A48A-89533D620E33.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F777A71-489A-4B9B-9CD2-4345544F67C7.jpeg
    6F777A71-489A-4B9B-9CD2-4345544F67C7.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 50
I’m thinking of doing the Jeda Pad with a 12v usb plug so it can fast charge and to keep the usb free for the flash drive and game control. On the FAQ it says it won’t fast charge iPhones, but it also says it does QC 3.0 charging, which the iPhone X and later do. I’m thinking the FAQ is just old.

Anyone with experience using it this way?

I’ve installed a Jeda Qi charger in my 3. My iPhone x is in a life proof fre case.
It charges but kinda slow. My case thick. If yours is thin, maybe a bad charger.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with a thick bumper cover.
Because of the size of the phone, I need to put my phone in Landscape mode, and the Jeda Qi charger works perfectly.

Using the Ampere App, I can check the charging rate.
With the USB plug located below the charger, I get about 300 to 500 mA charging rate.
If I connect the charger to the 12 V auxiliary plug using an adapter, I get 1.4 to 1.7 Amp charging rate.

By the way, company sent me coupon codes
JEDAPAD saves 10 bucks
If you want the hub too, JEDABUNDLE saves 40 on both. I emailed them with the case I use and they replied that it would work.

I really appreciate the info, after looking at it, that hub is pretty slick too! With that bundle discount I paid slightly more than I did for just the Tesla charger, but it's worth it if it works, the Hub is just a bonus.

Thanks!