TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wireless Charging: Plugless Power Demonstration Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Electric700, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Below is a link to a Plugless Power wireless charging demonstration for the Model S! :cool:

From what I understand, the cable going to the parking pad can be installed under the pavement.

• Like x 1
  2. PluglessSteve

PluglessSteve Member

• Like x 1
  3. David99

David99 Active Member

#3 David99, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    I really like it and frankly while plugging in doesn't take that long, it is still an extra step I have to do every time. Often I forget to close the charge port so I have to get out of the car again. It is nice to just park and walk away. The price is actually reasonable. I'm considering it

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I'll wait to see some real world tests of the efficiency of the system.

5. PluglessSteve

PluglessSteve Member

You should absolutely. We think all inductive chargers should be judged by the following three criteria - 1. What is the TOTAL wireless system efficiency as compared to the corded equivalent (not the efficiency just across the gap, as an example) 2. As provided by 3rd-party testing and 3. on a production system. To that end our Gen1 Plugless system (the 3.3kW charger available for Volt, LEAF and ELR) is 7% efficient compared to level 1 charger and roughly ~12 less efficient than level 2 corded charging. 2. per the testing of Idaho Nat'l Labs (USDOE) who requires publishing - https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/evse/PLUGLESSEvatranStandaloneTestResultsFactSheet.pdf and 3. we've been selling that system for two years (with installations across North America)

Our Gen2 System (which the Tesla S system is) will have data from INL and we expect the numbers to be the same. (it takes some time for results, as INL does thousands of test cycles - more than 8700 for our Gen1 system, for example).

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

So assuming thats right, here in NJ it will add roughly $1000 to the cost over 100k miles (assuming $0.19/kwhr, 325Whr/mi)

7. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Special early pricing of $2440 (USD). Ouch!.. Interesting system though, no doubt.

8. PluglessSteve

PluglessSteve Member

Your math looks sound. So, for example, if you are the typical male driver 35-54 years old and crank about 18,900 miles per year - that 100K will take you 5.3 years to complete, so a premium of about $189 per year.

• Like x 1
  9. Electric700

Electric700 Member

That's about $15.75 monthly. If you have a solar/wind power system, it may even be $0 extra per month. For all the convenience and safety (no cords to accidentally trip over) that Plugless Power offers, I think it's worth it.

10. mmccord

mmccord Member

How much weight does this system add to the car?

11. PluglessSteve

PluglessSteve Member

~35 lbs (a bag or two of groceries OR .76% the weight of a 85 RWD Tesla Model S)

• Informative x 1
  12. DougH

DougH Active Member

When it gets down in price it may be worth it, but $2500+ will put most people out of the market and for that reason I am out (yes I am currently watching Shark Tank)

13. cheekychappie

cheekychappie Member

Is this likely to come to the UK at all?