Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging the batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago, I saw BMW bring out wireless charging for their EV's. You drive the car up to a pad on the floor and the car starts automatically charging and can fully charge the car in about three and a half hours. Is this something that Tesla could pull off? Does this make sense for Tesla? I'm not sure about the battery size was on the BMW, but it seems like this is a natural progression for having to plugin.

Found the video!

BMW Wireless Charging. Car charging in 3,5 hrs. without a cable. - YouTube

Like Plugless Charging for Tesla Model S Questions Answered ?

I have some skepticism on advertised charging rate, as that would be ~30A at 240V... though here’s what they say:

How fast is wireless charging for Tesla Model S with Plugless?
A Plugless-enabled Model S charges itself with 20-25 miles of range per hour parked. For the average daily driving distance, a Plugless-enabled Model S is fully recharged in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
  • Informative
Reactions: HotIce
Since the best part is no part we can only assume that Tesla has something planned for wireless charging to enable the rapid rise of the robotaxi autonomous fleet. Why build a robot to plug in a physical cord when wireless charging exists. Perhaps the existing V3 superchargers have the ability to be easily modified and accept some type of wireless charging pad.

I think the logic on the plugless is pretty simple, like...

When the car is off, engage the induction coil and if it finds the sender, jumper to the charging cable so the car can charge. I assume the charge door doesn’t need to be open fir the circuit to engage.

When the car is on, disconnect the same jumper so the car can be put into drive.

When Tesla ever builds an induction feature themselves they will be able to let the car be on but in park and still charge. They will also be able to give you feedback when parking as well as park for you to optimize alignment of the coils.

Seems inevitable. Even with charge losses I can’t image the robo car fleets will use those wired charging snake robots.

Since the best part is no part we can only assume that Tesla has something planned for wireless charging to enable the rapid rise of the robotaxi autonomous fleet. Why build a robot to plug in a physical cord when wireless charging exists. Perhaps the existing V3 superchargers have the ability to be easily modified and accept some type of wireless charging pad.
Just think about how warm your cell phone gets wireless charging, now scale that up to supercharging rates.........
Pure delusion, wired is more efficient and will remain the primary way cars charge.

I didn't buy a Tesla for efficiency but I do appreciate that aspect, going wireless throws out a decent chunk of that advantage.

Wireless charging at supercharger rates will create a ton of heat, I dont ever see that happening.

Edit: after @Silicon Desert comment I went and did more current reading and replied again two posts down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It might make sense for the Robotaxi's or the Boring Loop vehicles, but costs and the efficiency losses make HV wireless power problematic for general use.

BMW's inductive charging is said to work with 85% efficiency with speeds equal to level two charging. It charges the onboard 9.5 kw battery in three in a half hours. BMW has released the tech in the United States apparently. Interested to know if this is on Tesla's radar. They could offer it as an add-on. This has to be something Tesla is actively looking into implanting, no? They're the leader in the EV sector(at this point in time).

Drive into your garage or spot, put the car in park and if the car senses a charging pad then it starts to automatically charge. If the tech is already being used, I'm sure it could be adapted.

WiTricity is creating the next generation of wireless charging for electric vehicles. WiTricity: Powering life, wirelessly.

Recently the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) have created SAE standard J2954 for wireless vehicle charging at rates up to 11kW. SAE Wireless Charging Standard for EVs

Here is an article from Green Car Reports: Wireless EV charging gets a boost: Single standard will harmonize systems up to 11 kw

11 kW is kind of slow, isn't it? You'd get like 10-20 miles if that I'm assuming? I'm kind of excited now.

Last edited:
BMW's inductive charging is said to work with 85% efficiency with speeds equal to level two charging. It charges the onboard 9.5 kw battery in three in a half hours. BMW has released the tech in the United States apparently. Interested to know if this is on Tesla's radar. They could offer it as an add-on. This has to be something Tesla is actively looking into implanting, no? They're the leader in the EV sector(at this point in time).

Drive into your garage or spot, put the car in park and if the car senses a charging pad then it starts to automatically charge. If the tech is already being used, I'm sure it could be adapted.

11 kW is kind of slow, isn't it? You'd get like 10-20 miles if that I'm assuming? I'm kind of excited now.
Why would you want to buy $1.00 worth of electricity to only get 85 cents worth of electricity?

No. I think you're not understanding the units. 11kW is 240V at 45A. That is pretty fast home charging and will recharge about 30-some miles per hour (maybe 40?) on a Model Y.

Thank you for the clarification. That's like plugging into a NEMA 14-50, right? I really hope Tesla makes this a thing. I would be first in line to buy it and put it in my garage.

If Tesla's goal is sustainability and power savings why offer a charging option that is less efficient? Different vehicles of different efficiencies serve different purposes, so it is justifiable to build a 3 and a CT but wireless charging wastes energy for very small convenience gains.

Thank you for the clarification. That's like plugging into a NEMA 14-50, right? I really hope Tesla makes this a thing. I would be first in line to buy it and put it in my garage.
Yeah, kind of, but even a bit more than that. A 14-50 would allow for up to 40A continuous. That's what my older Gen1 mobile charging cable could do. The Gen2 charging cable that the cars come with now is a bit smaller and is only built to draw 32A.

• Informative
Why would you want to buy $1.00 worth of electricity to only get 85 cents worth of electricity?

There are always losses, regardless of the mode of transmission. Every foot of cable will turn some percentage of watts into heat. The issue for wireless power is reaching parity with the efficiency of a cable, which was far-fetched a few years ago but researchers are making strides. As Elon has said, the hard part is doing it en masse IRL.

Plus there's the extra cost...would you pay $3000 for this privilege in your home? (I've no idea on the actual costs.) If this is cheap enough, then you could put one under ALL of the public parking spaces instead of just having a handful of charging stations.

But first we need some standardization. We sure as hell don't need "Wireless Supercharging" and "Wireless CHAdeMO" and "Wireless CCS" lol

If Tesla's goal is sustainability and power savings why offer a charging option that is less efficient? Different vehicles of different efficiencies serve different purposes, so it is justifiable to build a 3 and a CT but wireless charging wastes energy for very small convenience gains.

The article posted above says they've been able to get wireless charging to 97% efficiency. I don't see losing 3% a massive energy loss. Link below. :)

120-kW Wireless Charging Proves 97% Efficient

Last edited:
A NEMA 14-50 supports vehicle charging at up to 240V and 40 amps (9.6kW). The example 240V/45A (11kW) is closer the Tesla Wall Connector when installed on a dedicated 60A circuit to support charging a Tesla vehicle at a maximum of 240V/48A (11.5kW.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and HotIce
"Able to achieve" and "in the lab" sound like qualifiers that suggest might not be as good in the real world.

True, but that at least does mean the technology is available. BMW is claiming 85% efficiency with their system which I don't think is horrible. I'm sure the technology will mature just like battery technology has.