TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Doug_G, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#1 Doug_G, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#2 Jaff, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    The article states "Eric Giler, chief executive officer at WiTricity, claims their wireless system can already transfer over 3.3 kW of power, a level capable of fully charging an electric car at the same rate as a typical residential plug-in charger. “Charging an electric car should be as easy as parking it in a garage or parking spot,” Giler says."

I'm not technical Doug...how does this compare with a TM HPC or Universal mobile connector?

I mean it looks very interesting & alleviates the fear of vandalism / theft of your charging cable, but...

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

3.3kW is what you might call "Level 2 lite". It is what the Nissan Leaf will pull standard. This is approx 16A @ 208V

The ~MY2000 last generation EVs like Toyota Rav4EV and Ford RangerEV would charge at 6.6kW. This is approx 32A @ 208V.

The Tesla home HPC goes all the way up to 70A, and with residental 240V that gets you 16.8kW.

So, like 5 times slower charging than you could get with an HPC...

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks for the laymen's explanation TEG...I'm installing the 70 amp HPC at home...5x's slower (i.e.approx 16 hours for a full charge?...I'm not willing to wait that long.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'm sure we have another thread on this topic somewhere. My problem with wireless charging is the added cost and especially the loss of efficiency for a minor convenience.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Totally agree. However, there might be a "use case" for this. Might be useful for fleet vehicles, for example, which can be conveniently "topped up" while they are waiting for their next delivery, next fare, or whatever. Totally useless for a road trip - you need much higher power transfer rates.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Or inductive charging all along the Road so you can charge as you drive. Another idea which has been discussed, but seems rather daunting to implement.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

10. doug

#10 doug, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Another wireless charging scheme:
    Watch a Tesla Roadster Get Charged Wirelessly - Gizmodo

I really doubt this Roaster is actually being charged by that blue LED ring.

Apparently their "standard off-the-self Tesla.... Roadster" only has a range of 140 miles. He says they're able to transfer 1.5 kW and yet able to charge in the same amount of time as if it were plugged in. I suppose he skipped using the 16 kW HPC and is just using a 110 outlet. Pretty lame, Milhouse...

11. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Actually there's a picture I came across yesterday where the 120V charging cable is routed through the duct next to the charging port -- presumably to reach whatever device is sitting underneath the car to pick up the inductive charge.

I personally think these would be fine at 1.5 kW -- I'd love to pull into my parking spot at work and be automatically connected for 8+ hours. Or airport garage. Train station. Etc. Plenty of applications even at 1.5 kW.

12. doug

You're probably right. I doubted the car was actually charging when I heard the guy say it would "charge in the same amount of time as if it were plugged in" which, at up to 16 kW, I found dubious. I had to listen a second time to hear him say 1.5 kW which is more reasonable.

13. tep1

tep1 New Member

Not sure if this has been posted before but eCoupled just anounced a wireless charger for the Roadster. I am not sure if you can actually purchase it just yet, but what an insanely cool concept.

Can you image a Tron like blue glowing ring parking space at the mall, or even better in your garage!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/01/ecoupled-wirelessly-charges-your-tesla-roadster/

The cool factor is off the charts on this...wow!

14. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Actually, what got me was a comment somewhere about theft. Makes perfect sense for public charging stations - far less vulnerable to copper thieves if they can slightly bury or seal off the ground coils.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Personally I find the efficiency loss to be "un-cool".
    Would rather go conductive to make sure more excited electrons get into the car.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I tend to agree. It's definitely not cool (or needed) for use in your garage. The only place where I support this in for on-street parking where trailing cables are not practical.

17. doug

Some are claiming 90% efficiency which I'm not sure they've actually demonstrated (depending on proximity). But imagine charging at 16 kW with 1.6 kW of energy lost to the air around the car...

18. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

I'd rather just plug in an EV myself but this could have applications in parking lots/garages where vandalism would be an issue.

Here it is from Engadget:

fulton-innovations-2011-01-06-600-10.jpg

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They must have removed the GFI plug from the end of the cable to get it through that hole. Do they drive around with the connector dangling out the side of the car???

20. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Source for the photo ? Does it come with an explanation/article ?