Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
61342-fig-1.jpg

Full article: Collaborators Seek Air Power For Electric Cars

Last edited by a moderator:
The article states "Eric Giler, chief executive officer at WiTricity, claims their wireless system can already transfer over 3.3 kW of power, a level capable of fully charging an electric car at the same rate as a typical residential plug-in charger. “Charging an electric car should be as easy as parking it in a garage or parking spot,” Giler says."

I'm not technical Doug...how does this compare with a TM HPC or Universal mobile connector?

I mean it looks very interesting & alleviates the fear of vandalism / theft of your charging cable, but...

Last edited:
3.3kW is what you might call "Level 2 lite". It is what the Nissan Leaf will pull standard. This is approx 16A @ 208V

The ~MY2000 last generation EVs like Toyota Rav4EV and Ford RangerEV would charge at 6.6kW. This is approx 32A @ 208V.

The Tesla home HPC goes all the way up to 70A, and with residental 240V that gets you 16.8kW.

So, like 5 times slower charging than you could get with an HPC...

I'm sure we have another thread on this topic somewhere. My problem with wireless charging is the added cost and especially the loss of efficiency for a minor convenience.

Totally agree. However, there might be a "use case" for this. Might be useful for fleet vehicles, for example, which can be conveniently "topped up" while they are waiting for their next delivery, next fare, or whatever. Totally useless for a road trip - you need much higher power transfer rates.

Another wireless charging scheme:
Watch a Tesla Roadster Get Charged Wirelessly - Gizmodo

I really doubt this Roaster is actually being charged by that blue LED ring.

Apparently their "standard off-the-self Tesla.... Roadster" only has a range of 140 miles. He says they're able to transfer 1.5 kW and yet able to charge in the same amount of time as if it were plugged in. I suppose he skipped using the 16 kW HPC and is just using a 110 outlet. Pretty lame, Milhouse...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually there's a picture I came across yesterday where the 120V charging cable is routed through the duct next to the charging port -- presumably to reach whatever device is sitting underneath the car to pick up the inductive charge.

I personally think these would be fine at 1.5 kW -- I'd love to pull into my parking spot at work and be automatically connected for 8+ hours. Or airport garage. Train station. Etc. Plenty of applications even at 1.5 kW.

You're probably right. I doubted the car was actually charging when I heard the guy say it would "charge in the same amount of time as if it were plugged in" which, at up to 16 kW, I found dubious. I had to listen a second time to hear him say 1.5 kW which is more reasonable.