Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but I completely disagree... the last thing we need now is to have millions of vehicles wasting large amounts of energy.

<ObligatoryICEDing>
Yeah, but, but, but... we already do!
</>

To me, the inefficiency isn't worth the 10 seconds it takes me to plug in, but if they get high-end Level 2 charging going with it, it may make sense from a public station vandalism standpoint.

I've put in a lot of effort to make my house more efficient with LED lights, improved insulation, more efficient appliances and solar panels.

You'd have to threaten to put a gun to my head to get me to install something that makes one of the biggest users of electricity in my house less efficient like that.

I also can't imagine how it could be cost effective balanced against vandalism. Level 2 charge plugs aren't that expensive - somone would have to smash them on a daily basis, and I'm not worried about it happening ever.

Losses are not that big problem. If you're willing to spend $120k on a car and aditional $???k on Wireless charging upgrade, you are not really worried about 50% higher cost per mile driven.

The diagram above claims 7% difference in losses, so not sure where you get this from. If wireless charging enables charging in many more places or for more people to own an EV, that amount seems acceptable.

If wireless charging enables charging in many more places or for more people to own an EV, that amount seems acceptable.
I fully agree that wireless can help meet some demanding requirements... however, IMO we should not accept 7% loss for the mass market... that *really* is a serious amount of waste when replicated across millions of vehicles.

Surely, one of the major reasons for transitioning to EV's is to improve efficiency to the point at which our societies become sustainable.... building in 7% waste is just crazy...

It would have to be built into every single EV to make it worthwhile. I can see how it would be useful for some public charging stations/parking garages maybe and if the 'cool' factor helps more people adopt EVs, it might be worth it. I don't see it catching on anytime soon though.

That 7% difference is probably hugely optimistic. Most of the other schemes I've seen had 90% efficiency (compared to conductive) as a goal, but in reality were doing 70% or so.

I wonder how long an automated conductive plug-in scheme would take to pay for itself.

I fully agree that wireless can help meet some demanding requirements... however, IMO we should not accept 7% loss for the mass market... that *really* is a serious amount of waste when replicated across millions of vehicles.

Surely, one of the major reasons for transitioning to EV's is to improve efficiency to the point at which our societies become sustainable.... building in 7% waste is just crazy...

But I think it's a case of perfect being the enemy of the good. If this technology is the enabler for those millions of EVs (e.g. On street parking) then some small loss has to be preferable to the vast losses from the ICE status quo.

We know that fast charge has extra losses, so there is perhaps a trade-off between lossy wireless charging and lossy fast charging for those who can't charge another way.

Yes, that's another valid point.

And don't forget to count the "cooling looses". Are people on "efficiency side" suggesting charging power should be limited to say 3 kW so the battery wouldn't need active cooling while charging? If you charge in 4 hours about 10 kWh get wasted on cooling fans. I guess you haven't disabled the fans to save those kWhs ...

Yes, The Perfect is the worst enemy of The Good. Wireless charging is lower power and some of its losses in comparison to conductive charging could be "got back" through less battery colling.

Now imagine if inductive charging was able to provide power while driving! Range and battery issues would go away. Provide inductive charging for the major freeways, and batteries are only needed for driving on the secondary roads!!

Now imagine if inductive charging was able to provide power while driving! Range and battery issues would go away. Provide inductive charging for the major freeways, and batteries are only needed for driving on the secondary roads!!

Oooh, like it! :biggrin:

Serious question for the Techies: We have induction loops at just about every traffic light in this area (so the lights only change if someone is waiting); could they be adjusted to provide charging?