Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Robert,

Why? It's not the first time an EV manufacturer decided to go with a proprietary charging system independently of the SAE. :wink:

Larry

Or that SAE is timed in such a way as to collide with first movers. Do we know the order in which these things were planned? Of course it may also be a coincidence due to the time being ready (in both cases).

Without scientific background on that, I'm a bit worried that wireless charging creates strong EM fields possible affecting the body.

Actually its three cases now:

1. Model S was planned for mid-2012, with fast-charging. SAE promises the DC combo standard for later in 2012.

2. Tesla plans the October factory event showing customers the betas, where Tesla's DC connector was also shown and 90 kW DC was announced. Just before that, GM, Ford and a number of european companies make a big press release about a joint DC standard.

3. Nissan talks about wireless for 2014. So does SAE.

(Since I'm suspicious today, here another one: Why are the DC combo connectors not only large, but also have huge handles? So that hydrogen nozzles (and gas nozzles) won't look too bad in comparison.)

Simpler explanation: an elephant is a mouse designed by a committee.

Never believe conspiracy theories that are more easily explained by incompetence.

Simpler explanation: an elephant is a mouse designed by a committee.

Never believe conspiracy theories that are more easily explained by incompetence.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Some forms of incompetence would not survive, while others do. The individual who makes the decision may have good intentions, but the parameters under which the larger organization operates will allow some inefficiencies to pass, while in other cases efficiencies are calculated, controlled and double-checked to the last little detail.

Yeah, it is pretty cool, but it will be more wasteful. In theory, alot of the energy should go into the "air" as waste. It will not be as efficient (the highest is around 86%- my guess is this one is probably around 60-70%) verses plug charging, but some people may find it more convenient. At the same point, it beats someone vandalizing your charger/charging port if charging in an unsecured location.

2014 Infiniti EV to Debut Wireless Inductive Charging System - Nissan EVs - Popular Mechanics

Inductive-Charging-1111-mdn.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/technology/electric-car-is-going-wireless/story-e6frfro0-1226210839878
675178-leaf-car.jpg

Electric buses in the two cities of Genua and Turin, Italy, run since 2006 on batteries. They get a boost during longer stops (e.g. at terminal station) via inductive charging. The system was provided by Conductix Wampfler. The bus lowers a receiver loop on the emitter coil. Transferred power is between 60kW and 120kW at 95% efficiency.

Link to article (in German): Induktive Ladekonzepte von Conductix Wampfler | heise Autos

Unbenannt_Kopie-1d83c409a9b90efa.jpg

Inductive Charging

I still remain puzzled by what problem induction charging is supposed to be addressing. It seems to require a garage with a fixed placement of cars. Even back when I had a garage, there were times when I would need to reshuffle what was parked where. Not a problem with cord-based chargers, but a non-starter with induction charging.

Is it really so hard to plug the car in physically when you park? I don't have any troubles doing so with my phone.