Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charing - Has anyone tried this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at various options for wireless charging pads for M3, and came across following video and the solution.

I wanted to check if anyone has tried this? I am planning to do this, as my local library provides the 3D printing services and could be a project.

I just recently ordered two FASTPAD Qi Wireless Chargers from Amazon (not an ad for Amazon). It looks like it should work and the pads are small enough to fit 2 of them in the space. It does seem that I will have to replace the rubber mat that comes with the car because the little lip on that mat might interfere with the way the charging pads sit. Just to reiterate, this is not an endorsement for this brand of wireless charging pad or Amazon. I should be getting the pad on Wednesday (5/16), and I'm picking up my car on Sunday (5/20), so it will be a little bit before I know how the pads work with my phone and the car. I'll try to repost to let you know how it all works out.

I more or less did something like this. Except I threw away their design and pretty much only took the outline dimensions to have my friend custom design a charging pad in CAD. We're going to 3D print the pad and inject silicone in a cavity on top in the shape of a T to enhance friction so it doesn't slide around. And I stole the PCBA from a samsung Qi certified wireless charger which was $15.

Happy to share the CAD file once I finish everything and verify that it works. Here's my other post for trying to encourage the community to create custom things for the Model 3 and sharing the design files: Vinyl cutout files for Model 3

Reactions: Fusion and ggies07
Thanks for the great responses. I am looking more of an integrated solution like the one in OP, so FASTPAD might not be best.

@AMIYY4YOU I would be interested in getting the CAD file once you finalize it, along with the Qi chargers that you used.

Adafruit solution looks great, as it is more integrated, replace the mat and you get wireless chargers.

Reactions: AMIYY4YOU
Thanks for the great responses. I am looking more of an integrated solution like the one in OP, so FASTPAD might not be best.

@AMIYY4YOU I would be interested in getting the CAD file once you finalize it, along with the Qi chargers that you used.

Adafruit solution looks great, as it is more integrated, replace the mat and you get wireless chargers.

Only reason I didn't purchase Adafruit's PCB (aside from the ridiculous price for how basic it is) is that I didn't want to be stuck with a 5W charger. Samsung's fast wireless chargers are capable of up to 10W (7.5W for Iphone 8 Plus) and I can always switch to those faster rates with a proper 2.4A or quickcharge adapter. The front USB ports are limited to 5V/1A if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Only reason I didn't purchase Adafruit's PCB (aside from the ridiculous price for how basic it is) is that I didn't want to be stuck with a 5W charger. Samsung's wireless chargers are capable of up to 10W (7.5W for Iphone 8 Plus) and I can always switch to those faster rates with a proper 2.4A or quickcharge adapter. The front USB ports are limited to 5V/1A if I recall correctly.

It sounded like after a software update, it's been bumped up to 2A now.