Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless phone charger 3/Y MagSafe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my solution. Parts list:

Phone holder (no charging) - Spigen OneTap Designed for Tesla MagSafe Car Mount Compatible with Model 3 / Y / S (2021) / X (2021) Ford Mustang Mach-E Compatible with iPhone 13 Pro Max 13/13 Pro 13 Mini/ 12 Series

MagSafe charger holder fits the above phone holder - Spigen Mag Fit Phone Holder Car Mount Designed for Magsafe (Charger Not Included)(Requires USB-C Car Charger)

L shaped USB-c - UGREEN USB C to USB C Cable Right Angle 90 Degree Type C 60W PD Fast Charge Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21 S20 Z Fold 3 Note 20 Google Pixel 5 4 MacBook Pro Air iPad Pro Air 4 Mini 6 Switch 3FT

Female to female USB C* - USB C Adapter Female to Female Coupler,3 Packs PD 100W Fast Charging Type C Extensions 10Gbps USB 3.0 Connector Compatible with Samsung S20,S10,Fit for Pixel 2,3 XL,Nexus 6P,for Huawei Mate 20,P20
* this connector is a little finicky - only a certain orientation works - so switch sides until you get a good connection

Apple MagSafe charger - Apple MagSafe Charger

Magsafe case - Spigen Mag Armor Compatible with MagSafe Designed for iPhone 12 Case (2020) / Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Case (2020) Magnetic Charger Compatible - Matte Black

• Phone is very stable (and position is adjustable)
  • Pretty clean install. Cables are mostly tucked under trims (see picture of cable before placing it under trim)
  • Phone does not auto-lock due to its position/Face ID - (I have a corporate policy on my phone that does not allow to cancel auto lock.) - make sure you go to Settings - Face ID & Passcode - turn off "Require Attention for Face ID"
  • Phone does not block the view
Dislikes
  • aesthetics are not perfect (might improve with a black sticker/skin on the MagSafe)
  • Phone is slightly blocked by the steering wheel
IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4623.jpg
IMG_4624.jpg
IMG_7853.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpg
    IMG_4619.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Another option to consider from Magbak
Seamless design and works well so far.

View attachment 757680
View attachment 757678
This looks really slick. I have question though, how do you run the usb cable for the Magbak charger to give it power? The Magbak website does not show an example, so I'm curious to know as I am researching this product. Thanks in advance.

It has a USB-C cable, coming out from the bottom. My M3 doesn’t have a USB-C port so I used a 12v car adapter. I just routed cable behind the monitor and squeezed cable into plastic gaps along the middle console. (Just like how guydot routed his cable above) Only issue was the USB-C 12v adapter that came with was little too big and USB-C cable was hitting the center console tray. I had a low profile USB-C 12V adapter from Amazon and problem solved. No tools needed. Overall, it’s a well designed product. The magnet is strong and phone stays on the charger solidly. The charger is slightly angled (toward driver) so the position of the phone is perfect for Zoom or FaceTime. And great for Waze.
99DAA12D-1941-449D-8ABB-1AC9E1CA5616.jpeg

Last edited:
It has a USB-C cable, coming out from the bottom. My M3 doesn’t have a USB-C port so I used a 12v car adapter. I just routed cable behind the monitor and squeezed cable into plastic gaps along the middle console. (Just like how guydot routed his cable above) Only issue was the USB-C 12v adapter that came with was little too big and USB-C cable was hitting the center console tray. I had a low profile USB-C 12V adapter from Amazon and problem solved. No tools needed. Overall, it’s a well designed product. The magnet is strong and phone stays on the charger solidly. The charger is slightly angled (toward driver) so the position of the phone is perfect for Zoom or FaceTime. And great for Waze.View attachment 771918
Thank you Ryan for your response.

Another option to consider from Magbak
Seamless design and works well so far.

View attachment 757680
View attachment 757678
Do you happen to have the tilt screen mount in your car? Every review I’ve look up on this has that mount. Doesn’t seem like it would clear the stalk on the stock Y screen.

Edit: maybe because I have my steering wheel in as close to dash as it can go.

No tilt screen. For Model 3, the stalk doesn’t touch my phone even when I put the steering wheel all the way to dash.
Thanks. On the model Y it seems like it for sure will hit if I Ieft the wheel all the way at the dash. Subtle differences between the 3/Y I guess.
Does anyone know how many watts this charges at? I have a Pixel 6 Pro with a magsafe adapter ring.
If you‘re talking about the MagSafe charger not sure as there’s conflicting info on the apple magsafe and the pixel. Seems like it’s under 12w from google. For the magbak it says 5/7.5/10w charging capable, for iphone I believe it would be limited to 5 or 7.5, but should do 10w on android. In either case the car should be able to handle whatever you can sync at as I believe the usb c’s are 26w. Although there was some talk of newer models front USB C’s being less. The magbak also comes with a 12v adapter which also should cover anything.

Reactions: wiesert
Thanks. On the model Y it seems like it for sure will hit if I Ieft the wheel all the way at the dash. Subtle differences between the 3/Y I guess.

If you‘re talking about the MagSafe charger not sure as there’s conflicting info on the apple magsafe and the pixel. Seems like it’s under 12w from google. For the magbak it says 5/7.5/10w charging capable, for iphone I believe it would be limited to 5 or 7.5, but should do 10w on android. In either case the car should be able to handle whatever you can sync at as I believe the usb c’s are 26w. Although there was some talk of newer models front USB C’s being less. The magbak also comes with a 12v adapter which also should cover anything.
10-4! Thanks! I'll probably be getting the Magbak then. The Jowua magsafe mount is only 7.5W.

Not sure how people are using these mounts as I got the Spigen one and the steering wheel definitely blocks the view of the phone. I need to find a mount that will mount at the bottom of the Tesla screen.

Now I have this on my new MYP and it has exact same clearance as M3. It doesn’t hit. I could use the built in Tesla’s wireless charger but I do like having it next to the monitor and within my field of vision, especially when using Waze.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogmodes
Not sure how people are using these mounts as I got the Spigen one and the steering wheel definitely blocks the view of the phone. I need to find a mount that will mount at the bottom of the Tesla screen.

I pulled the trigger and bought the MagBack one. Got it with 15% off and unfortunately just missed the 20% off Father's Day deal (code "DAD22" for anyone else interested). It is a pricey accessory compared to Spigen but the MagBak has the best aesthetic IMO. The magnet is strong and has no issues securing my iPhone 13 Pro with generic MagSafe case. I don't even plug the power in since wireless charging really hurt the battery on my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max. I will stick with just direct wired charging this time around. I admit it is kind of a waste not enabling wireless charging but what mattered more to me was having a secure MagSafe phone mount that blended in with the Tesla interior and the MagBak achieves that. If only MagBak made a non-charging version for less, oh well. The MagBak price bothered me at first but after receiving the unit and installing it I know I made the right decision and am completely happy with it, no regrets!

The landscape orientation does block the PRND and speedometer but I'm not too bothered by it because I have Autopilot set to match "Current Speed" so it always flashes the gray available AP speed near the Speed Limit sign on the right-side of the screen, and this serves as a duplicate speedometer that I can still see.

Here it is installed in our Model Y and no issues with clearance:

4CE23AB6-0F1D-4D04-9CDB-290EF9FACB91.jpeg

Last edited:
Driving around with the MagBak I’ve been thinking how awesome and convenient it is to have the phone positioned higher up compared to the wireless charging pad. However, is anyone concerned that the extra sun exposure will damage the cameras? For those that do Uber/Lyft and have your phone propped up near the dash all day, has it led to camera damage from the sun over time?