Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless phone charger 3/Y MagSafe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my solution. Parts list:

Phone holder (no charging) - Spigen OneTap Designed for Tesla MagSafe Car Mount Compatible with Model 3 / Y / S (2021) / X (2021) Ford Mustang Mach-E Compatible with iPhone 13 Pro Max 13/13 Pro 13 Mini/ 12 Series

MagSafe charger holder fits the above phone holder - Spigen Mag Fit Phone Holder Car Mount Designed for Magsafe (Charger Not Included)(Requires USB-C Car Charger)

L shaped USB-c - UGREEN USB C to USB C Cable Right Angle 90 Degree Type C 60W PD Fast Charge Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S21 S20 Z Fold 3 Note 20 Google Pixel 5 4 MacBook Pro Air iPad Pro Air 4 Mini 6 Switch 3FT

Female to female USB C* - USB C Adapter Female to Female Coupler,3 Packs PD 100W Fast Charging Type C Extensions 10Gbps USB 3.0 Connector Compatible with Samsung S20,S10,Fit for Pixel 2,3 XL,Nexus 6P,for Huawei Mate 20,P20
* this connector is a little finicky - only a certain orientation works - so switch sides until you get a good connection

Apple MagSafe charger - Apple MagSafe Charger

Magsafe case - Spigen Mag Armor Compatible with MagSafe Designed for iPhone 12 Case (2020) / Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Case (2020) Magnetic Charger Compatible - Matte Black

• Phone is very stable (and position is adjustable)
  • Pretty clean install. Cables are mostly tucked under trims (see picture of cable before placing it under trim)
  • Phone does not auto-lock due to its position/Face ID - (I have a corporate policy on my phone that does not allow to cancel auto lock.) - make sure you go to Settings - Face ID & Passcode - turn off "Require Attention for Face ID"
  • Phone does not block the view
Dislikes
  • aesthetics are not perfect (might improve with a black sticker/skin on the MagSafe)
  • Phone is slightly blocked by the steering wheel
View attachment 730230View attachment 730231View attachment 730232View attachment 730234

can I ask the OP how the Apple MagSafe charger works with this setup? I got the first spigen one tap holder, but the apple MagSafe doesn’t fit in that. And I see another holder, but how does that integrate with the first holder.

Works very well. You have to buy all the components in my list. You have to use this part for the Apple charger - take the original part out of the Spigen one and replace it with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S5WP4TN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&tag=tmc064-20

There have been a couple of time that the phone dropped due to a big pothole. Overall I love it. I also trust Apple’s electronics for charging more than some other vendors.

Last edited:
Reactions: macheboston
Thanks. just so i understand, there’s a part of the spigen onetap that I can take out? And then put in the spigen Mag fit holder? Do you think you can share some pics? Thamks
You have to remove a part from the one tap and also remove a part from the mag fit. Then you put the mag fit part into the one tap. That’s it.

Details: You take the part that has the swivel ball out by unscrewing the adjustment screw and pulling it out. (This is the part with the magnet that you attach the phone to.) The goal is to use the Apple charger so you remove the one tap magnet and replace it with a part that can hold an Apple charger.

I am traveling and cannot take a photo right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your spigen solution, it seems to be one of the best way to get 15W wireless charging for the iphone but isn't the steering wheel in the way?

it can go in 8 different positions (top or side of each of the four corners) so you shoudl hopefully find somewhere convenient.

worth noting if you’re buying from new, Spigen do an all in one which I bought which has the mount and magsafe connector so you just need to plug it in to USB

it can go in 8 different positions (top or side of each of the four corners) so you shoudl hopefully find somewhere convenient.

worth noting if you’re buying from new, Spigen do an all in one which I bought which has the mount and magsafe connector so you just need to plug it in to USB
Do you mean this one? Tesla OneTap Pro Wireless Screen Car Mount (Mag Fit)

I think you need to buy that anyway for OP's solution, then replace spigen's charger in order to get the max of 15W rather than 7.5W charging speed
I want to make sure the phone is charging even while using waze etc, and I'm not sure 7.5W is enough for that

Just picked up my MYP today and had this mount waiting:

Works great mounted in the top left, which is the ideal place for me, I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and have the arm in the diagonal position and the magnet tilted so that it's not in the way whether I put the phone on horizontal or vertical.

Magnet is strong when paired with my Spiegen MagSafe case:

Thanks for this thread. Ordering the USB-C extension so I can plug it into the back. Looks like a clean solution!

Do you mean this one? Tesla OneTap Pro Wireless Screen Car Mount (Mag Fit)

I think you need to buy that anyway for OP's solution, then replace spigen's charger in order to get the max of 15W rather than 7.5W charging speed
I want to make sure the phone is charging even while using waze etc, and I'm not sure 7.5W is enough for that

yes that one. Originally there was one without a charger. I don’t know how integrated the spigen charger is - tbh I dno’t need 15W - the in-car one always seems enough for me and I assume thats only 5-7w?

I'm not completely against plugging the USB-C cable into the back, but I'd sure rather plug it into the center console somehow. Is there no way to sneak a charger cable down the trim and into the center console where the front USB-C jacks are?

I know a bit OT, but still related! Why does it seem like nobody makes a charging pad for the factory lower charging area that will accept the Apple MagSafe puck? I'd love to have full-speed MagSafe 15W charging down in that console area. But am amazed to find that this hasn't been done yet?
Do you mean where the normal charging area is, or somewhere else?

You’d have to disassemble the console to do much with it, which is probably beyond most customers that this sort of product would be pitched at.

I wanted to share my solution. Parts list....

I really appreciate you working out this great solution and sharing it, BTW. I was poking around looking for true MagSafe charging solutions (vs the stuff that's limited to 7.5W on Iphone.) And while I'm still looking for the solution that keeps the phones down below and charges at full rate, I went with the new RAM product shown here. It isn't quite as elegant/sexy. But it is super-strong (typical of RAM product) and infinitely more flexible for position and angle. AND it can be hidden completely out of the way if desired.

1663698270814.png

Do you mean where the normal charging area is, or somewhere else?

You’d have to disassemble the console to do much with it, which is probably beyond most customers that this sort of product would be pitched at.
The normal charging area. That can be hidden under that front hatch (note that I have an early car before the console refresh) When my car was new (2018) everybody made a Qi charging mat. I bought one of the early ones, and it works great. Great except that it only charges at about 5W on a good day with a perfect position of the phone. The mat just sits on the shelf, and you plug in the USB for power (I've run 12V to the front of that console and can provide any sort of power now.... USB-C PD.... whatever. But that's another subject). Tossing a new rubber pad onto that shelf that has pockets for Apple MagSafe pucks wouldn't tax anybody's handy-person skills. Or are we talking about different things?

Driving around with the MagBak I’ve been thinking how awesome and convenient it is to have the phone positioned higher up compared to the wireless charging pad. However, is anyone concerned that the extra sun exposure will damage the cameras? For those that do Uber/Lyft and have your phone propped up near the dash all day, has it led to camera damage from the sun over time?
Laminated windshields (all modern cars) do an excellent job of UV-filtering. Heat is another thing, but you shouldn't see much damage from the UV at least.

Reactions: FatherTo1

Can you share how to dealt with the wire after it leaves the magsafe puck? I see you have it aimed behind the screen. Then where do you enter the dash to start hiding it? (I need to get that cord into the FRONT of the center console where I have power, not to the rear ports). I've just started to poke around and thought I'd get a jump-start if I can! Tahnks.