Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the TapTes dual, Q1 wireless phone charger and saved $55 (incl. tax). It installed in seconds and is working fine--I have an iphone XR and my wife is using an 8+. There is a little bit of pad movement, but they supplied two double sticky-backed pads if this bothers you. The original bottom trim piece is reused. Both sides tested fine. it also has a charging indicator light. The only issue I had was the USB splitter (it comes with two of these) did not support the USB thumb drive used for the dash cam.

I got mine today and ran extensive charging speed tests using the Ampere app on my Pixel 3.

I used direct plug into the usb, usb with splitter, usb Qi 3.0 capable 12v aux, and Qi 3.0 capable battery pack. I tested the official Tesla model, the Taptes model, and the Jeda 2.0 model. I found that the draw was almost identical among all of the units. The max 640ma on the aux but most could get around 600ma and all of them would very up and down during the charge. I found that none of them charged particularly fast, which is a shame. The Tesla has a very rubbery thick pad similar to the Jeda, but maybe a little more premium. I plan on keeping the Tesla model and selling the other two. I didn't have the Nomad to compare, so if someone has it, check using an app and maybe that would complete the testing. One difference in the Tesla, is that it comes with a new shiny black lip. It has a small overhang that the the phone slightly slips under. This can keep it from bumping up and falling into the console. The Tesla does not have a horizontal charger, so if you really need it, go with the Jeda. I think the Tesla does have a larger charging spot, so it is easier to start charging by just dropping it into the plate.

My pick is the Tesla, but if you want cheaper, the Taptes charges around the same rate.

Todd in Torrance
So where do you plug in your USB for TeslaCam? I’m assuming one end of the splitter?

No. But you can charge the iPhone faster from a cigarette lighter adapter in the center console (12W). The Taptes gen 2 also has a wired option for half the price.
I'm waiting for the Taptes Gen 2 to be delivered. I like that design because you can also charge in landscape mode. I plan on running a wire to the 12v plug to get fast charging. It's not that hard to do. I did it with the RPMTesla pucks before those stop working.

I can’t say for sure because I no longer have the Nomad but the Tesla charger may have more room. This is because the Nomad charger has a built-in lip while the Tesla charger does not. The Tesla charger uses a separate piece so there may be more room vertically. I’d say if your phone fits the normal Tesla wired charging mat, it has a decent chance fitting the Tesla wireless charging mat.
My Iphone X site much lower than it did with the Nomad. Id say there is roughly an inch more height clearence vs the Nomad pad.

Quick review - I like it better than the Nomad. It looks stock. The material though close, looks more premium and doesn't seem to be collecting residue like the Nomad pad. Finally, the overall design is more appealing. There seems to be some a bit more cohesion with the rest of the dash/interior layout.

Last edited:
After using the charger for a day it seems to be working as intended. I charged on each side of the pad and my phone didn’t move while driving.

I also previously used the Nomad and Jeda (ver. 2) so I figured I’d give a quick comparison.

Comparing it to the Nomad charger is a pretty even match. It doesn’t have the indicator lights when a phone is charging (or fully charged) but I’d say that’s a matter personal preference.

Comparing it to the Jeda is a different story. It doesn’t charge horizontally or have the ability to charge with a wired connection but overall I prefer the fit and finish over the Jeda. I also experienced overheating issues with the Jeda, so I definitely prefer Tesla’s version.

I recently got my Jeda 2 and haven't noticed any issues with overheating, though I don't know what I would look for. how can you tell if it is overheating? Just feels hot, or quits charging?

I recently got my Jeda 2 and haven't noticed any issues with overheating, though I don't know what I would look for. how can you tell if it is overheating? Just feels hot, or quits charging?

For me it would be piping hot, even when there wasn’t a phone on it for it to charge. I’ve never experienced this with any of the other wireless charging pads I’ve used.

Just got it delivered today. I’ve included some pictures of the box, the charger, and the setup in my car. I’ll start testing it out tomorrow. So far I have it with a splitter on the right side and my phone (iPhone X) seems to be charging fine on either side.

It comes with a bottom piece (it slides in just like the other bottom piece) that serves as a lip to hold the phone.

I’m able to lift up the tray all the way without issue. This is probably because the top of the charging mat is tapered.

Initial impressions: it’s a bit of a dust magnet but the fit is snug.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.
Just got it delivered today. I’ve included some pictures of the box, the charger, and the setup in my car. I’ll start testing it out tomorrow. So far I have it with a splitter on the right side and my phone (iPhone X) seems to be charging fine on either side.

It comes with a bottom piece (it slides in just like the other bottom piece) that serves as a lip to hold the phone.

I’m able to lift up the tray all the way without issue. This is probably because the top of the charging mat is tapered.

Initial impressions: it’s a bit of a dust magnet but the fit is snug.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

From the photos, the rubberized mat looks a bit gray, rather than black. In real life is it the same black as the stock pad, or is that just the photo?