Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed yesterday, took 5 min but broke one of those little things that keep the wire in place. Oops. Be careful folks.

I’ve had two MS’s and have broken all 8 of them. They are poorly made and any sort of pressure will break them. If you try to run multiple wires or a thick wire through them, it’s game over.

Same. I installed the wireless charger on Wednesday and broke one of the clips in the X. The wire is quite thick for the wireless charger. I couldn't fit it plus the USB for the SSD that I had sitting below, so now the rubber mat is sticking up a bit. I need to find a right angle USB A to USB C short cable at some point, which would help some.

Reactions: Gt1948
I just installed mine today as well.
It cost me $190 CDN incl taxes. Crazy for a wireless charger, but I wanted the clean look. I think the majority of the cost went towards making the box. This is some apple quality packaging. lol

IMG_20200717_133922.jpg

IMG_20200717_134006.jpg

Again, the tabs on mine were also bent..super hard to install it without breaking them off. the cable is thicker

IMG_20200717_171854.jpg

The negative is that my PIXEL 4XL doesn't seem to be getting a sufficient charge from the charger. It says charging slowly. I need to test it with another phone to see if it is a pixel issue or the charger is putting too low of a charge. Not to mention, I do have an MCU 1 and that could be limiting some speed as well.

I just installed mine today as well.
It cost me $190 CDN incl taxes. Crazy for a wireless charger, but I wanted the clean look. I think the majority of the cost went towards making the box. This is some apple quality packaging. lol

View attachment 565878

View attachment 565879

Again, the tabs on mine were also bent..super hard to install it without breaking them off. the cable is thicker

View attachment 565880

The negative is that my PIXEL 4XL doesn't seem to be getting a sufficient charge from the charger. It says charging slowly. I need to test it with another phone to see if it is a pixel issue or the charger is putting too low of a charge. Not to mention, I do have an MCU 1 and that could be limiting some speed as well.

IIRC, the two USB power ports have different outputs.

Try the other USB port, and also doublecheck the instructions on which one you're supposed to use.

Thx for the writeup.

• Informative
Reactions: vraev
Same. I installed the wireless charger on Wednesday and broke one of the clips in the X. The wire is quite thick for the wireless charger. I couldn't fit it plus the USB for the SSD that I had sitting below, so now the rubber mat is sticking up a bit. I need to find a right angle USB A to USB C short cable at some point, which would help some.

I am going to take 3M reversible tape and tape the mat down and wires down. It's the only way it will remain flat with thicker cables. I am getting my wireless charger this week. I also have a thick USB extension cable running through there that goes to a lightning cable that i have that comes out of the center console in case we need to charge wired. I don't want to have to store wires anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexdav
I assume your talking about the tray? I got the ICEBeamer Carbon Fiber one from Amazon. The wireless charging tray never worked great which is why I bought the Tesla OEM.
yes....I did not like the Tesla one because it won't it my phone with a battery case.....the tray wireless works great....and it give me the option of having the capability of being able to plug a music usb in the center outlet if I want

mine is coming in soon.. does anyone know how fast it charges an iPhone 11 Pro? Is it better to connect the usb to 12v port using an adapter for faster charging?
Just a heads up with the iPhone 11 Pro, I had the leather case on mine and it damaged the bottom of the side of the case from pushing it into the wireless charger. I have a Max, so maybe the regular one won't be impacted, but I switched to the silicone case since I had it handy.

As far as fast charging, how can one tell besides measuring the approximate gains in percentage over time? I'm not aware of an indicator otherwise.

Instead of the Tesla wireless charger, we purchased a dual wireless charger ($85) from the Green Mission Store.

It supports charging two phones at the same time (requires two USB connections, which we hook to a dual-charger adapter plugged into the 12V port), and provides enough room for each phone to easily hold our Galaxy phones inside their cases.

I got my wireless charger, and yes the packaging is very impressive, Apple like.

One negative is, I cannot close the lid anymore because the top of the wireless charger hits my USB Drive/SD Card for the TeslaCam, as well as my other USB cable. I will need to get some dongle extensions so these things can lie flat and be hidden. However, for the USB/SD Drive card, I tried a USB extension and my MCU didn't recognize it.

IMG_2921.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vraev and Gt1948
Just as a heads up so someone like me doesn’t make the same mistake. This will not fit a drop in console pre-2016. Will only work with a premium console or I would assume newer X or S. I tried in mine it will fit but you cannot close the lid and it doesn’t lock in place.

How long does it take to wirelessly charge an iPhone or Note 8/9/10/10+ with only 7.5W? For $125, I expected at least 15W but I guess it's limited by the USB ports. What if we plugged it into a USB adapter in the 12V socket? Would the Tesla wireless charger still only deliver 7.5W?

The wireless charger is a cleaner look but it seems like I'd be paying a whole lot more for less functionality and much slower charging than a wired solution.