Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up with the iPhone 11 Pro, I had the leather case on mine and it damaged the bottom of the side of the case from pushing it into the wireless charger. I have a Max, so maybe the regular one won't be impacted, but I switched to the silicone case since I had it handy.

As far as fast charging, how can one tell besides measuring the approximate gains in percentage over time? I'm not aware of an indicator otherwise.
Hmm... 11 Pro Max with the Apple leather case. No issue.

That's the other dilemma for me. Wife has an iPhone 11Max, but I prefer Galaxy Note 10 Plus. Tesla wireless charger will only accommodate one phone at a time, right? I would still need to rely on a cord for at least one other phone.

Part of me is still tempted to get the OEM wireless charger anyways but that 7W charge rate is a dealbreaker when Samsung offers a 45W car charger for the Note 10+. It would be like Tesla ChargeGate for my phone.

Instead of the Tesla wireless charger, we purchased a dual wireless charger ($85) from the Green Mission Store.

It supports charging two phones at the same time (requires two USB connections, which we hook to a dual-charger adapter plugged into the 12V port), and provides enough room for each phone to easily hold our Galaxy phones inside their cases.

Can you post some pictures? I looked at their product page, and while the product itself sounds good, the way the trays look, it looks rather rough and unfinished to me. Wonder how well it would function if it was wrapped or maybe spray painted to have a smoother surface?

Noticed odd behavior with the new wireless pad when I have my phone charging the car warns me it cannot find my key when my key is near the phone which is where I used to always keep it even with phone charging connected to usb

I so just recently installed the OEM Tesla Qi charger in my Model S and it just doesn't charge my Pixel 3 well. The phone says that it's charging, but only barely gains charge and sometimes it loses charge. I have MCU1, so that's obviously part of the problem, but even 5W charging should charge it slowly. I have a bumper case on it, so there's no additional material between the phone and the charger, just 1-2mm of air. I need to do some more testing with placement height and removal of the case, but it's not a good start.

I so just recently installed the OEM Tesla Qi charger in my Model S and it just doesn't charge my Pixel 3 well. The phone says that it's charging, but only barely gains charge and sometimes it loses charge. I have MCU1, so that's obviously part of the problem, but even 5W charging should charge it slowly. I have a bumper case on it, so there's no additional material between the phone and the charger, just 1-2mm of air. I need to do some more testing with placement height and removal of the case, but it's not a good start.
I think you’re limited by the abysmal power provided by the USB port (coming from the MCU actually). Mcu2 is the same.

Probably smart to buy a higher Amp 12v cigarette adapter and plug wireless charger into that

I have a pixel 4 XL and I found that after my MCU2 upgrade, the wireless charger does somewhat slowly charge the phone. Prior it was basically useless. I did once leave the phone on there for an hour and it did go from 60% to 100%. However, this was while I was just sitting in the car without driving it. I don't know if other power usage impacts the current flow to the charger.

I think you’re limited by the abysmal power provided by the USB port (coming from the MCU actually). Mcu2 is the same.

Probably smart to buy a higher Amp 12v cigarette adapter and plug wireless charger into that

Yeah, I have one already for wired charging and the cord is just long enough to get to it. With MCU USB power and the case on, it just constantly cycles charging/not charging. I did a little testing with and without the case and that's not the problem. It seems that to hit the sweet spot on the Tesla OEM Qi charger, my phone needs to be 1/4" to 1/2" up from the bottom of the slot.

I have a pixel 4 XL and I found that after my MCU2 upgrade, the wireless charger does somewhat slowly charge the phone. Prior it was basically useless. I did once leave the phone on there for an hour and it did go from 60% to 100%. However, this was while I was just sitting in the car without driving it. I don't know if other power usage impacts the current flow to the charger.

Install accubattery to see what the charge current is and try changing the vertical position in the slot. I had to move mine up to hit the coils right and I'm going to cut a few riser blocks to shove down in to the slot.

Noticed odd behavior with the new wireless pad when I have my phone charging the car warns me it cannot find my key when my key is near the phone which is where I used to always keep it even with phone charging connected to usb

Same, any suggestion to fix this? You would think the Tesla engineers doing the charging pad would confirm RF interference doesn’t nick the key fob
Tho....

View attachment 508205 That is a horrible place for a phone. You cannot see the screen and it goes flying if you drive the car aggressively at all. I use this one, attached by the suction cup to the tiny triangle of window on the driver's door. I ran power off of the harness inside the door. Amazon.com
How did you run the power off the harness in the door? Any youtube videos that might show this?