Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking as well. Ended up 3D printing a similar one. So far, so good, but would like to see the factory option.

Attachments

• E97554A2-2048-4376-B70B-72C7F399EDD0.jpeg
    E97554A2-2048-4376-B70B-72C7F399EDD0.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 235
  • AB9A5ED2-E889-46B0-9043-5AC0C85436EA.jpeg
    AB9A5ED2-E889-46B0-9043-5AC0C85436EA.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 170
  • D57728B3-2745-4F3F-B9AC-74B18CB498C7.jpeg
    D57728B3-2745-4F3F-B9AC-74B18CB498C7.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: 07e92
A 3rd party is now selling a similar wireless phone charger for S/X.

Have one on order, should be delivered in a few days.

Appears to be an easy install - sliding onto the lid where the phone dock is located, only requiring lifting the rubber mat to route the USB cable.

Even with the wireless charger installed, supposed to be able to rotate and still close the lid (though we never do that).

Plus, they have an option to add a second wireless charger piggy-backed onto the first one (which will prevent the lid from closing).

Single charger is $66, dual charger is $85.

If this works, plan to order a second set to go into our other Tesla.

Let us know how it works out. Would be nice if they smoothed it out for $66 but better than nothing...
A 3rd party is now selling a similar wireless phone charger for S/X.

Have one on order, should be delivered in a few days.

Appears to be an easy install - sliding onto the lid where the phone dock is located, only requiring lifting the rubber mat to route the USB cable.

Even with the wireless charger installed, supposed to be able to rotate and still close the lid (though we never do that).

Plus, they have an option to add a second wireless charger piggy-backed onto the first one (which will prevent the lid from closing).

Single charger is $66, dual charger is $85.

If this works, plan to order a second set to go into our other Tesla.

There are 2 popular projects on thingiverse. One is a remixed of the original where you can print adjustable holders based on the thickness of a case you may have on your phone.

Tesla Model S/X Phone Qi Wireless Charging Dock by machadolab

Tesla Phone Qi Dock by ReturnZero

I used the one by ReturnZero above. I used the iphone 8 plus file/variant for apple case for my Iphone XS Max with apple case. I actually had someone print it for me. www.printathing.com It cost about $30 and I had them use ABS plastic. It is actually not that cheap buy a printer to print as well as these people will do for you. The EnergyPad Qi ultra slim fits inside nicely and is ~$20.00. To help the look, I "wrapped" it with some 3M 1080 satin black I had laying around.

Here are a couple more pictures...
Charger4.jpg
Charger 3.jpg
Charger 2.jpg
Charger 1.jpg

I used the one by ReturnZero above. I used the iphone 8 plus file/variant for apple case for my Iphone XS Max with apple case. I actually had someone print it for me. www.printathing.com It cost about $30 and I had them use ABS plastic. It is actually not that cheap buy a printer to print as well as these people will do for you. The EnergyPad Qi ultra slim fits inside nicely and is ~$20.00. To help the look, I "wrapped" it with some 3M 1080 satin black I had laying around.

Here are a couple more pictures...View attachment 534566 View attachment 534567 View attachment 534568 View attachment 534569
This looks really good. Does the holder accommodate your phone and its case?

I tried searching for one that is for my phone - Google Pixel 4 XL, but can't find any.

Received the Green Mission dual wireless charger and installed it into our Model X.

Installation was simple, required removing the guides for the Tesla phone charging dock and the rubber mat between the chargers and the USB ports.

The dual charger comes in two pieces. The single charger slides over the top of the rotating console cover door, with clips that are small enough to allow the door to close with only a single charger installed. The second charger slides onto the front of the single charger. Both chargers have a USB cable - so they are plugged into separate USB plugs. We have a higher amperage dual USB charger plugged into the DC accessory outlet, to provide more power for the wireless chargers.

While they could have done a nicer job in finishing out the exposed 3D printed parts, there isn't that much actually exposed, so it's not an issue.

The only small issue I've found is that the second charger has two small screw heads exposed at the back, where the top of the charger parts are fastened together. I was concerned about the possibility of scratching the display on a phone placed in the back charger slot. Added a small strip of cloth velcro to the back of the front charger to protect the back phone's display.

After dealing with lining up the USB port at the bottom of phones in the Tesla charger dock for years, it will be great to be able to charge two phones at the same time, and only have to slide them into the slots.

This looks really good. Does the holder accommodate your phone and its case?

I tried searching for one that is for my phone - Google Pixel 4 XL, but can't find any.

I also have the Pixel 4 XL with a slim case and it works well with the "iPhone 8 Plus apple case" model he posted. However, the Pixel 4 (and XL) only fast charge over wireless with newer wireless chargers with EPP. The charger he modeled this for does not, and in fact has been out of stock on Amazon for some time. He posted a new file called "large charger" which was for me and accommodates a larger charger that fast charges my Pixel (CHOETECH 15W USB). I plan on sending him a few minor updates, but the file is functional now.

I also have the Pixel 4 XL with a slim case and it works well with the "iPhone 8 Plus apple case" model he posted. However, the Pixel 4 (and XL) only fast charge over wireless with newer wireless chargers with EPP. The charger he modeled this for does not, and in fact has been out of stock on Amazon for some time. He posted a new file called "large charger" which was for me and accommodates a larger charger that fast charges my Pixel (CHOETECH 15W USB). I plan on sending him a few minor updates, but the file is functional now.
I got the charger yesterday (no idea which version of wireless charger it has) and i briefly tested it yesterday when i plugged it in. It started charging and then I took it out as I haven't gone out for a drive yet. Are you saying it may not even charge at all?

I got the charger yesterday (no idea which version of wireless charger it has) and i briefly tested it yesterday when i plugged it in. It started charging and then I took it out as I haven't gone out for a drive yet. Are you saying it may not even charge at all?

It will charge, but slowly. In my measurements it was charging about the same rate as power being used, so better than nothing but not what I was looking for.

The Green Mission dual charger cost $85, which included shipping to the US.

To get faster charging, a single or dual USB port fast charger should be plugged into the DC accessory port. Charging will be slower using one of the front console's USB plugs.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Received the Green Mission dual wireless charger and installed it into our Model X.

Installation was simple, required removing the guides for the Tesla phone charging dock and the rubber mat between the chargers and the USB ports.

The dual charger comes in two pieces. The single charger slides over the top of the rotating console cover door, with clips that are small enough to allow the door to close with only a single charger installed. The second charger slides onto the front of the single charger. Both chargers have a USB cable - so they are plugged into separate USB plugs. We have a higher amperage dual USB charger plugged into the DC accessory outlet, to provide more power for the wireless chargers.

While they could have done a nicer job in finishing out the exposed 3D printed parts, there isn't that much actually exposed, so it's not an issue.

The only small issue I've found is that the second charger has two small screw heads exposed at the back, where the top of the charger parts are fastened together. I was concerned about the possibility of scratching the display on a phone placed in the back charger slot. Added a small strip of cloth velcro to the back of the front charger to protect the back phone's display.

After dealing with lining up the USB port at the bottom of phones in the Tesla charger dock for years, it will be great to be able to charge two phones at the same time, and only have to slide them into the slots.
With the dual charger set up, will the console still flip shut?