Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my M3 I was pleasanlty surpised (shocked even) that my old and trusted Galaxy S6 had no problems with wireless charging on the front console (and that's with the phone in a leather case). I now have so much stuff going on in my phone that the S6 (battery) is struggling and I have (reluctantly) bought (a very expensive) iphone 12. I want to protect my new (expensive) phone witha cover but I must have a cover that does not prevent the in car wireless charging. I am looking at something like this . . .

Will this cover give me (in car charging) problems?

Don't know if I have a defective phone or wireless pad on my m3, but I swear it destroyed my Galaxy S22's battery! I don't use the wireless pad as heard it makes the phone hot but decided to try it since it is the best place to put your phone anyway.. I went for a 1 hour drive putting my phone on the wireless pad it made my phone blazing hot. After that day my phone drops like 10% battery every hour.

Don't know if I have a defective phone or wireless pad on my m3, but I swear it destroyed my Galaxy S22's battery! I don't use the wireless pad as heard it makes the phone hot but decided to try it since it is the best place to put your phone anyway.. I went for a 1 hour drive putting my phone on the wireless pad it made my phone blazing hot. After that day my phone drops like 10% battery every hour.
Wireless charging is horrible. I’m sure there are one or two phones where the coils align in the Tesla pad but for everything else you get intermittent charging and a red hot phone which damages the battery. I remember someone tweeting Musk to provide a disable setting, which he thought was a good idea but yet to see it implemented.

• Informative
Reactions: Ricecooker
Wireless charging is horrible. I’m sure there are one or two phones where the coils align in the Tesla pad but for everything else you get intermittent charging and a red hot phone which damages the battery. I remember someone tweeting Musk to provide a disable setting, which he thought was a good idea but yet to see it implemented.

Isn’t it just plugged into the USB underneath so you can disconnect? Obv a software switch would be nicer.

I’d quite like some visual to show me where the coil is. Works fine with my iphone 13 but my wife’s 13 mini is not always working. Might need to be lifted up and I‘d be happy to pop a little bit of foam/card at the bottom to nudge it up a bit, but no idea how much

Isn’t it just plugged into the USB underneath so you can disconnect? Obv a software switch would be nicer.

I’d quite like some visual to show me where the coil is. Works fine with my iphone 13 but my wife’s 13 mini is not always working. Might need to be lifted up and I‘d be happy to pop a little bit of foam/card at the bottom to nudge it up a bit, but no idea how much
The refresh Model 3/Y have the wireless charger built into the console so there’s no way to disconnect it.

The issue with the mini not charging problem is the same problem I have with my iPhone SE. My workaround is to raise it by about 8mm from the bottom of the pad. You can test with a crayon or pen. I found that a AA battery was too high.

When I picked up my M3 I was pleasanlty surpised (shocked even) that my old and trusted Galaxy S6 had no problems with wireless charging on the front console (and that's with the phone in a leather case). I now have so much stuff going on in my phone that the S6 (battery) is struggling and I have (reluctantly) bought (a very expensive) iphone 12. I want to protect my new (expensive) phone witha cover but I must have a cover that does not prevent the in car wireless charging. I am looking at something like this . . .

Will this cover give me (in car charging) problems?
Don't know about the Max 12 but my 12 Pro charges fine with the MagSafe case.

This is correct, but wireless charging is very convenient. The position of the phone on that pad also makes it handy to be able to use Siri whilst driving.

I have an aftermarket charging pad in my 2019 Model 3. It stops the inductive charging when the phone is full. I don't know if the pad in the newer models does the same, but I imagine it would. My iPhone 13 Pro gets warm just like it does on a MagSafe charger, but not excessively so. My battery health is at 98% after a year. The sloped pad in the Tesla Model 3 is a lot better than the BMW idea of a pad with a clip to hold the phone vertically inside the bin between the seats. With that setup, my iPhone used to get so hot it crashed and I abandoned it in favour of a cable. Several colleagues have reported similar experiences. On my recent trip to Europe in the Tesla, I was driving nearly all day with the iPhone on the pad and it didn't flake out once.

Regarding the OP's question about cases, I tend not to use one in the car. Wireless charging works with a case, but it takes longer for the coils to acquire the phone and the charging seems slower. I tend to rely on the accidental damage cover with AppleCare and only use a case when I intend to be in a hostile outdoor environment.