Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Qi charger opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i know there was some discussion about various DIY solutions for retrofitting wireless charger coils to the backside of the existing phone mat. But, for those of us who would prefer to purchase a kit or more OEM appearance, I’m curious to know the opinions of those who have tried out or purchased those currently on the market from retailers. As far as I know, the current options are the ones offered by RPM Tesla, EVannex, and Jeda with the Nomad to come soon. Thoughts or comparisons among these? Anyone unhappy with their purchase?

I preordered the Nomad wireless charger for a few reasons:
  • Has the cleanest look and feels ‘OEM’
  • The battery pack is integrated into the wireless pad itself
  • Dividers in the middle and rubberized texture to prevent slippage during hard turns
  • Small LEDs to indicate that it’s charging or has finished charging
I also had a few of their accessories for my Apple devices which I’ve been really happy with albeit they’re slightly overpriced vs what you can just get on Amazon (Anker, etc). I feel like for this car though, I don’t wanna skimp on quality so that’s why I ordered this.

Originally I wanted the Jeda but to get the slightly faster charging, their method was a pretty janky solution by using an external battery pack that hangs in your center console storage.

Now if Anker or Aukey were to make a wireless charger specifically for the Model 3, I would die a happy man.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gtrain and P85_DA
^ I did the same as @quasimoto for the same reasons. I've been happy with a few other iPhone/Apple Watch accessories purchased from them over the last few years and this just seems more thought out than the Jeda. To spend roughly the same amount on the Jeda pad that needs to plug into an external battery pack to get high current output is just unacceptable to me. The few extra dollars for one integrated piece sounded better to me.

As far as I know, the current options are the ones offered by RPM Tesla, EVannex, and Jeda with the Nomad to come soon. Thoughts or comparisons among these? Anyone unhappy with their purchase?

I ordered the Model 3 Wireless Qi Fast Charging setup from RPM Tesla on Jul 21, 2018 hoping to receive it before my scheduled delivery date of Aug. 1st (Car came early 7/25) and I STILL haven't received it. I think RPM Tesla is seriously backlogged because all calls go to voicemail, and all emails to support come back with this generic message :(:

Good Afternoon Jamal,

Thank you for your order. We are going through exponential growth and adding staff to accommodate it. That does mean we are seeing longer shipping estimates. Currently we expect new orders to ship within 7-14 business days. We are working as quickly as we can to process everyone's orders with quality and accuracy.

Thank you and have a great day!
Stephanie
RPM TESLA

Anyway, tomorrow is day 14 (8/4) so I should receive it sometime soon. Just be ready to wait if you go with RPM Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Jimmy 1
I ordered the Model 3 Wireless Qi Fast Charging setup from RPM Tesla on Jul 21, 2018 hoping to receive it before my scheduled delivery date of Aug. 1st (Car came early 7/25) and I STILL haven't received it. I think RPM Tesla is seriously backlogged because all calls go to voicemail, and all emails to support come back with this generic message :(:

Good Afternoon Jamal,

Thank you for your order. We are going through exponential growth and adding staff to accommodate it. That does mean we are seeing longer shipping estimates. Currently we expect new orders to ship within 7-14 business days. We are working as quickly as we can to process everyone's orders with quality and accuracy.

Thank you and have a great day!
Stephanie
RPM TESLA

Anyway, tomorrow is day 14 (8/4) so I should receive it sometime soon. Just be ready to wait if you go with RPM Tesla.

7-14 days is not that bad, I ordered thru getjeda last July 17 and till now no shipping confirmation. RPM is way cheaper than getjeda anyway.

Before buying one of these phone dock solutions, I would recommend making sure you’re really happy with having your phone in that location. If you’re the type that never uses your phone while driving (for navigation, music, etc.), then leaving your phone in the dock is fine, but since I rely on apps like waze and pandora, which require occasional user input and glances, the dock is both inconvenient and unsafe.

I really wanted something like the Jeda or Nomad, because they look great and are unobstrusive, but because I hated having my phone in that location, I kept searching, and eventually found a way of magnetically mounting and qi charging my phone in line of sight. When my phone is mounted, the mount itself is invisible, the phone hovers next to the car’s screen, and I can interface with it using my fingertips, without taking my hands off the wheel. This also leaves a free USB port in the phone dock area, for a second phone.

662D6A3D-EFE8-458F-89A7-E5EF5264BB4A.jpeg

Anyway, just another option for you to consider. Here’s my review thread, if you want to see more:

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

Anybody know of an aftermarket option that allows wireless and plug-in charging? My phone supports wireless, but my SO's phone doesn't, and they're not planning on upgrading any time soon.
Supposedly the Nomad is designed to still allow for plugging in but it's not actually integrated into the panel - the wiring would come in from the side. They said they designed it to allow for that but I couldn't find any clear pictures of what it would look like. This info was provided in their Reddit post announcement.

Supposedly the Nomad is designed to still allow for plugging in but it's not actually integrated into the panel - the wiring would come in from the side. They said they designed it to allow for that but I couldn't find any clear pictures of what it would look like. This info was provided in their Reddit post announcement.
Thanks for the tip! Will have to go learn more...

The battery pack is integrated into the wireless pad itself
I realize you’ve already ordered, but for everyone else, I’d avoid the battery pack “hack”. If the front USB don’t output enough power for fast charging then you can use an adapter in the cigarette lighter and route the cable along the outside of the center console to the front compartments (watch the installation videos RPM posted with their wireless charging solutions.).

Another M3 user posted that they used this product with good results:
Anker 50W 5-Port USB Car Charger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OHE8AOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bZlEBb3M9XTKW