Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless rear view camera that could be used on the 1.5 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting that Roadster does have an OBD2 Plug, and that its separate from the OVMS 'CAN bus diagnostic port'.
Following on.....

Does anyone know what signals the OBD2 plug carries ?

For example I'd like to try a HUD, Head-up-dispay unit (rather than using my phone) ...
511Nbl4DmPL.jpg

this ideally needs OBD2 signals for:
  • Road speed
  • Motor RPM
  • and maybe some other sensors
Anyone tried this ?

examples of HUD units:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZWPELJY?psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019302032
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DVXO6D4

Very interesting that Roadster does have an OBD2 Plug, and that its separate from the OVMS 'CAN bus diagnostic port'.
Following on.....

For example I'd like to try a HUD, Head-up-dispay unit (rather than using my phone) ...
View attachment 199190
this ideally needs OBD2 signals for:
  • Road speed
  • Motor RPM
  • and maybe some other sensors
Anyone tried this ?

examples of HUD units:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZWPELJY?psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019302032
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DVXO6D4

I tried one of those (that's how I know that the OBD-II port is separate from the diagnostics port that the OVMS uses)...didn't work.

Now, I won't say that "none of them work", but the one I tried had several different modes, for different vehicle manufacturers, for compatibility. Of course "Tesla" wasn't an option (nor was "Lotus"). I tried them all...none of them worked.

I ended up going with a GPS-based HUD unit. All it requires is power (you can either plug it into the cigarette lighter, or hardwire it with a fuse tap...which is what I did). It only shows speed but, that's all I need it for (since I can't see the analog speedo through the opaque steering wheel).

Following on.....

The OBDII port in the roadster is of no use for standard OBDII accessories, other than 12V power. It doesn't have any of the standard OBDII PID controllers, and can't be used for speed, motor rpm, etc.

P.S. I was actually considering a side-project for OVMS v3 to expose one of the CAN buses via a OBDII socket (not plug) and simulate a standard OBDII PID controller to send out speed, rpm, gear selection, etc. The protocol is pretty basic and not hard to implement. Might be fun, but need to get basic OVMS v3 done first.

Linky ? (please)

This looks like a newer version of the one I have...

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Di...e=UTF8&qid=1476973694&sr=1-5&keywords=gps+hud

Mine is a few years old and just displays speed. This one has compass direction as well, but same principle (and form factor).

Only thing I changed with it is that it has an "overspeed" alarm (that you can disable) but, the *Beeeeep* for the overspeed alarm sounds upon startup (even with the overspeed feature disabled. I found this annoying so, I took it apart and removed (with a soldering iron) the piezo buzzer.

Reactions: markwj and Mark77a
The way it works is that you have to select the Pearl app when you get in the car or want to reverse, then it connects to the camera in a few seconds and shows the picture. If you get close to something it beeps and shows a red border. After 60s (configurable) or when it detects you moving at speed, it switches to an app picker that you can configure to your needs, then it launches that app (waze, music, podcasts etc). I already had an Otter mount on the windscreen, so I see the video in the same place as I would see waze.

Bottom line, seems to work ok, will update once I've been out and about and used it in anger a few times.

Thanks for doing the pioneering work on this, Adrian!

The first unit they sent me was faulty, so I thought it might not work with a 1.5.

However, they sent a second one, and it works very well. I highly recommend this!

Also, they pushed out an update today that adds a "Guidelines" overlay, with the ability to customize them to your vehicle. This really helps when backing into a parking space.

Last edited:
The way it works is that you have to select the Pearl app when you get in the car or want to reverse, then it connects to the camera in a few seconds and shows the picture. If you get close to something it beeps and shows a red border. After 60s (configurable) or when it detects you moving at speed, it switches to an app picker that you can configure to your needs, then it launches that app (waze, music, podcasts etc). I already had an Otter mount on the windscreen, so I see the video in the same place as I would see waze.

Here's some screenshots from my iPhone - first is the app picker that comes up when you are done. Then two video shots, showing the red border as it got close.

Bottom line, seems to work ok, will update once I've been out and about and used it in anger a few times.

View attachment 199182 View attachment 199183 View attachment 199184

Adrian, could you update us on the Pearl back up system. Do you still like it? Have there been any significant software upgrades? Thanks!

Darn. I was going to buy a Pearl backup camera system by the end of the year, not for my Roadster (I started this thread but never bought one) but for use in "my other Tesla" when towing a camper trailer that I will be taking delivery on in spring 2018.

I think the camera Pearl offered was very nicely done but the market for a $500 product of that type, at a time when an increasing number of new cars are coming standard with a backup camera (in part due to government regulations) or have it available as an option, is just too small.

Time to research alternatives...

They have already been acquired by American Road Safety: americanroadproducts

I really hope they continue to develop RearVision. I've been using it daily since last Autumn, and the recent updates have eliminated all of the problems I had experienced in the first-revision product.

Thanks Curt! Now that rearvision may continue, a couple quick questions if you have time:

1. Approx. long is the response time between putting it in reverse and the image coming up on your phone (it sounded like it was a bit slow in the initial roll out)?

2. Are the PV-charged rechargeable batteries in the frame replaceable?...everything always comes back to the batteries in this forum ;)

Thanks!

1. Approx. long is the response time between putting it in reverse and the image coming up on your phone (it sounded like it was a bit slow in the initial roll out)?

2. Are the PV-charged rechargeable batteries in the frame replaceable?...everything always comes back to the batteries in this forum ;)

1.The OBDII in the Roadster (at least 1.5) doesn't signal reverse, so you need to bring up the Pearl app manually. I've just gotten in the habit of doing it in the last half block approaching parking. The delay is anywhere from 5-20 seconds.

2. I've never tried to open up that bit, but I'm guessing they are not user replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearl or American Road Products wanted to do a swap of the frame once new batteries are needed.

• Informative
Reactions: ion_1
There is some kind of signal available though - I have an inexpensive backup camera wired to my stock head unit; as long as I wait long enough for warning to dismiss on the headunit screen it will trigger and switch to the cam view... maybe something to look into?

Curt, thanks for that information. I had no idea it was so limited. I mistakenly assumed that the solar cells would keep the system operational while driving.

That makes that product unsuitable for me, though I'm sure it will be useful for others. I need an "always on" rear view camera. Although I started this thread with the idea of using that product in my Roadster, I have since changed my thinking (see below) and decided it would be great for when I am towing a 17 ft camper trailer next year with "my other Tesla". :) In which case I need the rear view camera image to be on all the time.

The reason I decided I didn't need an "always on" rear view camera in my Roadster is because I installed Extendview ultra-wide angle side mirrors on my Roadster and they are outstanding. Along with the stock Roadster rear view mirror, the Extendview mirrors provide about a 150 degree field of view. But that is a discussion for that thread, see ExtendView Side Mirrors -- outstanding visibility

1.The OBDII in the Roadster (at least 1.5) doesn't signal reverse, so you need to bring up the Pearl app manually. I've just gotten in the habit of doing it in the last half block approaching parking. The delay is anywhere from 5-20 seconds.

2. I've never tried to open up that bit, but I'm guessing they are not user replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearl or American Road Products wanted to do a swap of the frame once new batteries are needed.

Thanks again Curt. Too bad the OBDII doesn't automatically pop open the reverse.
Like ecarfan's wishlist, it may be easier to always have it all the time, but I do understand
the restrictions do to the autonomous power setup with PV/batt as you noted.

Ideally, it would be great to have a similar wireless system with an option to use a local 12V feed that is always hot at the back of
the car. The taillights are a no-go as they are obviously switched upfront, but it may be a simple pull
from the trunk compartment lights which are right there.

I guess its time to look at new options. The main challenge IMHO is backing out of parking spots surrounded
by a couple of SUVs, would ideally like one of the newer systems that have direct rear and ,more importantly, two 45 degree angle views from the rear camera to see cross traffic. This is the real need, the rest can be addressed by proper use or purchase of mirrors as mentioned by ecarfan.