Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Smartphone Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone thought about mounting the wireless charger on the side of the console so that you don't need to take your phone off your belt? Just get in and sit down and it connects via BlueTooth and begins wirelessly charging...?

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
Has anyone thought about mounting the wireless charger on the side of the console so that you don't need to take your phone off your belt? Just get in and sit down and it connects via BlueTooth and begins wirelessly charging...?

-Randy
Although this is a novel idea for phone holster users, wireless charging has a very small window of usability. Meaning you pretty much have to the phone exactly centered and touching the charging pad at all times.

Hey there,

Sorry for crossposting here but that may be of interest.
I'm a member from the Tesla Wireless Pad and we are currently in production for the first Model 3 Wireless Charger. You can message me if you need any kind of information. I will be glad to help.

Thank you all!
Ok,
You have my attention. Found you on the web. I have a model s & a model 3 reserved with delivery est for February
Love to have it in both cars.
Tesla Wireless Pad

Can anyone post a picture of their smartphone wireless charging in a car and not sliding all over the place with the help of magnets. I am interested to see what this would look like.. thank you.
I think @DÆrik will have another video review out on YouTube this Friday. The one he tested looks pretty nice and doesn't use magnets, just a pad that should stick to virtually any phone.

-Randy

I don't think I've seen someone wear a phone on their belt for about 15 years.

Here is my simple DIY solution custom fitted to our phones.
3D printed soft TPU plastic with wireless Qi pad underneath.
No sliding allowed.

IMG_20180201_080553854.jpg

That's odd. As an Apple Genius for the entire iPhone era I saw a lot of cracked phones from those who just put them in their pocket and then sit on them, and charging ports that won't charge because they are full of compressed pocket lint. If you have your phone in your pocket it is hard to get out when seated, or if you keep it in your shirt pocket it's easy to drop when bending over. Putting the phone on your belt means no pocket lint and that it is protected by two layers of leather so if you hit it on something it is MUCH less likely to sustain damage. When I finish using the phone it goes back, no walking and holding the phone so I don't need an ugly case, that doesn't fit in a charging stand. Repairing or replacing the phone is expensive, they give us the title Genius in leu of pay.

Actually the only damage I EVER got on all my iPhones was standing on top of a ladder trying to take a high photo of my RV solar install while I was recuperating from a shoulder injury. Ouch.

-Randy

...I'm one of them...side leather holster. For as long as I have had an iPhone (...and I have owned them since Steve Jobs introduced them here @ Macworld). Randy's post is spot on for me. Oh, and no Otter Box or large clunky case. yes, I do use the thin Apple leather back case to add some texture and grip.

• Love
Reactions: israndy
Noticed this wireless solution that will be interesting to try in a Model 3:

Dash Mounted Qi Charger

Wonder if it would mount behind the wheel so you can see the screen easier than in the center console

-Randy

It's easy to install and they do offer different cable versions. You can always swap out the cable with a different one and install it wherever you'd like. It works great holding and charging our phones.

If you move to wireless charging do you lose any features from your phone? I know the phone will connect to the car via Bluetooth and it seems everyone is thinking the cable is simply for charging only, but is there more you get when plugged in to the cable?

In many other car brands you get better music playback if plugged in to a cable vs playing over bluetooth, and plugged in is the only way to get CarPlay to work for most (I'm talking iPhone here obviously), so what about the M3? Is there anything you lose or won't work by not plugging in and moving to a wireless solution?