Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Xbox Controller not being recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my hands on a new Xbox X controller and the 8bitdo USB adapter to try to play the new Sonic game on my 2021 M3.

8bitdo adapter is connected to the USB C port in the center console and is paired with the Xbox controller. Lights on both the controller and 8bitdo remains solid and not blinking, and the controller vibrates once to show that its paired.

However, all the games that require a game controller still shows the message about requiring a game controller. Sometimes, that button flicker to "Play" (I think) and changes back to saying a game controller is required.

Anyone managed to get the Xbox X wireless controller to work for Tesla games?

Are sure that your center ports are data?
Cars are being delivered since I think last fall without the data connections on the center ports. Power ports only.
I think the center console USB-C ports are data ports.

I've also tried connecting the 8bitdo adapter to the USB port in the glovebox (used by Teslacam flash drive) and the car is not able to detect the wireless Xbox controller even though the controller could be paired with 8bitdo (connection light on both devices stop flashing, controller vibrates once)

• Disagree
Reactions: orangespoon
Which version of the 8bitdo wireless adapter do you have? I've bought v2 (gray) and it does not work: the gamepad and the receiver are synchronized, but the car still shows the "requires a gamepad" message. Ports transmit data because connecting to them with cable the gamepads are working. It seems the problem is the wireless adapter is not being recognized by Tesla OS. Maybe v1 works? Or Mayflash?

Anyone had any luck with this as yet I’m having the exact same issue as OP..

V.2 8bitdo (black)
Xbox 1 controller (white)

Using dashcam port for adapter.. TIA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 439
I am having same problem. 8Bitdo V2 , Xbox One White Controller. Controller connects to 8bitdo but none of the games recognizes the controller. However when I disconnect 8bitdo, I get message on that the controller is disconnected.

Tesla Model Y - Data Ports are in center console. The same usb port used for 8bitdo works fine for Dashcam Data Drive.

I am having same problem. 8Bitdo V2 , Xbox One White Controller. Controller connects to 8bitdo but none of the games recognizes the controller. However when I disconnect 8bitdo, I get message on that the controller is disconnected.

Tesla Model Y - Data Ports are in center console. The same usb port used for 8bitdo works fine for Dashcam Data Drive.
Same issue in my 2021 SR+ (per above), frustrating!

I've got it working..... at least for my Model Y in the UK. Once you have your controller paired successfully with the 8BitDo USB Wireless dongle, e.g a Solid white light must show and it will vibrate you are good to move to the crucial step of changing the mode

I can only document an Xbox One type controller in detail but the process should work for other controllers but may involve a bit of trial/error finding the right "Select" button.

Anyhow, hold down the View (Select) button (3) down and the right button on the D-Pad (8) for 3 seconds and the controller will then be recognized by the Tesla interface and the "Play game" will appear if you're in the Arcade section already. This is known as changing the adapter into "MAC mode". I have seen older Tesla models need to have to change into "X input" mode, which is the same procedure but hold the Up button (8) on the D-Pad instead along with the View (Select) button (3) instead

Also note you must use a USB data port, on the Model Y in the UK this is only found in the GloveBox. The other ports are power only. You can use something like an Anker USB 3.0 Data Hub (to allow the Sentry USB stick to operate at the same time and avoid constant replugging into the only USB-A port in the glovebox. Remember not to power any high powered USB items on this hub! If you need more than the standard USB power, you will need to purchase a powered USB3.0 hub and somehow route cabling to somewhere in the car that can provide the power source. This won't be straightforward. For the purposes of the basic USB Sentry key and the 8BitDo USB Wireless dongle you don't need external powered USB. The 4 port data hub will be just fine.

Hope this helps. Any questions give me a shout...

1663839238189.png

Last edited:
I've got it working..... at least for my Model Y in the UK. Once you have your controller paired successfully with the 8BitDo USB Wireless dongle, e.g a Solid white light must show and it will vibrate you are good to move to the crucial step of changing the mode

I can only document an Xbox One type controller in detail but the process should work for other controllers but may involve a bit of trial/error finding the right "Select" button.

Anyhow, hold down the View (Select) button (3) down and the right button on the D-Pad (8) for 3 seconds and the controller will then be recognized by the Tesla interface and the "Play game" will appear if you're in the Arcade section already. This is known as changing the adapter into "MAC mode". I have seen older Tesla models need to have to change into "X input" mode, which is the same procedure but hold the Up button (8) on the D-Pad instead along with the View (Select) button (3) instead

Also note you must use a USB data port, on the Model Y in the UK this is only found in the GloveBox. The other ports are power only. You can use something like an Anker USB 3.0 Data Hub (to allow the Sentry USB stick to operate at the same time and avoid constant replugging into the only USB-A port in the glovebox. Remember not to power any high powered USB items on this hub! If you need more than the standard USB power, you will need to purchase a powered USB3.0 hub and somehow route cabling to somewhere in the car that can provide the power source. This won't be straightforward. For the purposes of the basic USB Sentry key and the 8BitDo USB Wireless dongle you don't need external powered USB. The 4 port data hub will be just fine.

View attachment 855548
Yes!!!! This worked for us, thank you so much!!!

With the new recent update 2023.26.7 wireless gaming is in! I tried using my Xbox One controller and Xbox Series X controllers to no avail.

I gave up and bought a PS5 controller and it works. It even works on Xbox Game Pass livestreaming in that I can navigate but the screen goes black and returns me back to the menu.

View attachment 855548

Thanks mate, this worked for me :)