Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wires I can tap for Speedometer display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone help me with this please? I drive with my hand in the 2 o’clock position and it perfectly blocks the speedometer on the screen. I was looking at getting an aftermarket speedometer that would go behind the steering wheel, but the only one I even somewhat liked blocks the air vent… Can someone please let me know of a wiring diagram or something I can tap into that goes to the speedometer?? I really want to 3d print and create my own speedometer and I have a great idea of what to make but I want to know how the speedometer is recorded first. Or at least know what wire reads the car’s speed. Please let me know, thanks guys!!

The speedometer is entirely digital so you would need to tap into the CAN bus with a processor, write software to read the can bus, filter the speedometer signal, and then display it. Not sure it is worth it, but it is possible. My guess is about $100 in parts, and maybe 100 hours of work if you're a good hardware/software engineer.

Might be easier to switch to a Yoke-style steering wheel like used on the 2022 S/X. There are aftermarket options that you can install, as quite a few owners do this for increased safety and visibility. Yokes are available for the S/X/3/Y (but are different depending on the year/model).

Of course, as EVRider points out, perhaps a different seat/steering position would solve it.

Reactions: ucmndd