Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring a Prodigy RF brake controller to the X trailer harness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's some nonsense it the 7-pin plug wiring so it wouldn't pair with the Prodigy RF brake controller...no trailer brakes or lights made it a little dodgy. Will have that sorted before next tow, guess we have to split the running light pin to power the +12v trailers expect?

For the 7-pin adapter, made a little bracket to point the plug back in the direction they normally go, since the Draw-Tite has no provision for it. After it all came together realized I probably should have painted it black, will do so when it comes back apart to modify the wiring.
Couple revisions to my setup to address the above two concerns.

First concern was getting +12V to the aux pin of the 7-way trailer connector, so the Prodigy RF would turn on. Before going any further, member ShawnA solved this in a different - and probably better - way than I did here: Tesla stopped supplying 12V power to the aux pin of the 7 way - Fixed!!!

Pulled the rear cover back off and the harness out.
IMG_4692.jpg

Here's the harness with the tape removed:
IMG_4695.jpg

And the mapping of wire colors to function in the 7-pin:
IMG_4696.jpg

The brown, red, and yellow/red wires are all a heavier gauge than the others.

I spent a little time testing voltages, and saw the following against the reference (brown) ground:
Car On, lights off:
Tail lights: 11.6V
Left & right: 11.6V
Aux: 0V
Reverse: 0V
Brakes: 0V

After the change the Aux pin voltage now matched the tail lights voltage, both +11.6V with the lights off.

When turning on the lights (even the parking lights) voltage went up to 13.9 on the tail light and aux pins. Turn signals would bounce up the voltage on the left/right turn pins. Didn't test the reverse pin but wouldn't use it anyway.

When it came time to pair the Prodigy, it initially wouldn't pair with only 11.6V on the aux pin. I had to turn the lights on (was doing this in broad daylight so they wouldn't come on on Auto) - and then it paired. It remained paired even when the lights had been turned back off, so I should be set now. Didn't have time for another test tow but should be doing it again within the next couple weeks.

The other thing I did with it apart was paint the bracketfor the 7-pin black, and reinforce it a bit better on the other side of the panel.

Lower/underside of panel:
IMG_4698.jpg

Upper side of panel:
IMG_4697.jpg

All put back together:
IMG_4699.jpg

Did another short tow the other day. Things were much less stressful with working brakes! However with the lights off, the Prodigy lost connection with the trailer while driving. Thankfully this didn't occur while trying to brake Not sure if it's some sort of battery protection thing with voltage under 12 - so after that happened I left the parking lights on and it didn't lose connection again. Wish there was a way to keep them on with a hardware switch, the car likes to turn things off any time you get out of the seat.