TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wisconsin Dells

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tzejohn, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tzejohn

tzejohn Member

I am currently at the dells, staying at the Great Wolf Lodge. When I called them up a while back, it seemed that they had a RV 50 amp connection for me to use by the maintenance shed. Unfortunately, I did not follow up and get a clarification. All they have is the standard 15 amp outlet. Because of the time of the year, all of the local RV parks are closed, and so there is no possibility of charging there.

Does anyone know of any where to get a better charge than 15amps in the area? We were in Madison earlier, and got some charge, and we are planning on continuing towards Minneapolis.

Lesson learned.

Thanks,

-tj

2. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

The 30A ChargePoint in Sparta (62 miles away) is the best I know of.

3. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I have a business in the Dells. I have been in contact with Tesla about putting a Super Charger in the Dells. I offered Tesla all the Free Use of Land and Parking needed for it in exchange for just installing a SC. I have not heard back since my offer though :(

Sandrift Resort - The Peach on the Beach in Wisconsin Dells, WI In the mean time, I will be installing a 240v outlet once the snow thaws. During summer time, we do provide use of the outlets on our sign for charging, though, those circuit breakers are off during the winter as the business is closed.

I believe a Super Charger in the Dells is Crucial All the traffic coming from Illinois, Specifically Chicago, which makes up more then Half the Dells Yearly Business. Especially so for us "Mom & Pop" businesses. If their was a SC in the Dells, Illinois Folk could make a trip in a single charge!

If anyone here would also like a SC in the Dells, Please, Please email them and recommend me for a location. We have plenty of parking, and "chargers" could use our beach while charging. But as I said, a SC would really bring more traffic to the Dells area. Please email [email protected] to help out for this location!

And for those wondering what is so special about the Wisconsin Dells:

Wisconsin Dells - Tourism Information The largest tourist destination in the Midwest, and home to some of the worlds largest water parks. Winter Population---3,500 Summer Population, Multi Millions.

Cheers!

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Even an HPWC or two would be very valuable, don't just look at the SC's... The ability to fully charge an S in 4 hours, especially if you have a business or two nearby that would allow the family to spend time at your business, would help immensely. And the investment for that isn't much -- 1 or 2 100A circuits and 1 or 2 $1200 HPWC's.

5. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Can you recommend a few outdoor ones that are low cost?

Only problem I have with installing a free charger that is more universal like that, is other business owners leaching off of them. I honestly for see other businesses charging their "fleets" off of it, thats how cheap and rude some of these business owners are in the Dells :(

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

If you go with the Tesla HPWC, you'd be limiting them to Tesla Model S's (for now) and X's. :) They are rated for outdoor use.

Otherwise, you'll be looking at something like the Clipper Creek CS-100's if you want to be more compatible. The downside there is that you'll pay for the high charge current, but it'll likely get clogged up with cars that can't even use the higher currents. Most vehicles that have the J1772 capability are going to be hybrid (I can't imagine many Leafs going on long trips up there).

A simple sign that reads "private property - no local or fleet vehicle charging - violators may be towed at owner's expense" should be enough to warn them.

7. Bearman

Bearman Member

The HPWC(High Power Wall Connector) that FlasherZ mentioned is a Tesla specific charger: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/highpowerwallconnector.pdf
    Approved for outdoor and indoor use, $1200 each.

8. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Ok, thanks for the input. I am working through details then. I am going to start by putting a NEMA 14-50 Outlet. This will be ready within the next 2-4 weeks, so anyone need a charge, give me a heads up then. I am working out other methods of charging. Looking at a Chargepoint right now after some digging (I have used their stations in Milwaukee for my Electric Alfa Romeo (Currently for sale if anyone is interested at $8,000).
    But I am still working out those details, as chargepoints are expensive. will update!

9. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Email sent to [email protected]

Email sent to [email protected]

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Hmm... 193 miles from Chicago to the Dells, then another 216 to Minneapolis. I think you're on to something... :)

11. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

The Dells would be a perfect place for a SC.

12. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Thanks everyone! Please keep the emails going!

I can't wait until my MS arrives. I know it will cause a stir and a mad rush to purchase in the area as well. Especially when the owners of the Kalahari, Mt Olympus, Dells Ducks see the car(they live next to our business).

I did get a email back finally, they said they are considering a SC, but would like it closer to the freeway(even though we are less then 2 miles from the freeway, and are within 5 minutes walking distance to 2 water parks, 1 minute walking from a Restauraunt and boat rental, 10 minutes walking from the Dells Strip and Mt Olympus theme park) I know the area, if placed right off the freeway, your going to be stuck by, either theater and cracker Barrel at the first exit, Walmart and home depot at the second exit, or a Perkins Restauraunt at the third, and due to lack of sidewalks at those only exits, makes walking anywhere else dangerous and time consuming (45-55mph roads that people usually do 60+ on )

So I hate to keep bugging everyone, please trust me, that is not my intentions, where else are you going to charge a car while sitting at a nice sandy beach on a lawn chair, or around a camp fire, while still in the heart of the Midwests largest tourist city?

Cheers Again!!! Thanks for the input and help, we will make this a EV'ers vacation dream in one way or another.

P.S. Huge flat roof available for solar panels, amount of construction by Tesla would be extremely minimal.

13. tzejohn

tzejohn Member

To follow up on this thread, I ended up finding a RV park that was open year round, and had 50 amps available. This was the Castle Rock County Park in Friendship, Adams County (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.908189,-89.93891&num=1&t=h&z=17). Lorelai was especially helpful in finding a usable 50 amp outlet for our use. The first one we found was only giving me 16 amps. But, it all worked out in the end.

14. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

And he is! And how about a SC in Madison? And one in Milwaukee?

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

According to the Tesla map, it would appear that the Chicago SC is actually in Milwaukee. :)

I think the Dells is a great place, linking Chicago to Minneapolis. Going further north doesn't link Chicago to anywhere, unless one could support a SC journey into Canada...but I don't know about that. How often do people enter Canada via Green Bay or Duluth?

Sent via Tapatalk.

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Yessireebob, it's another Branson!! :smile:
    --

17. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I love Madison, but the areas close to the freeway are not great, and it really stretches the idea of making it to Minneapolis on one charge.

18. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

yes, no good location close to the freeway. The East Towne Mall is a good spot and reasonably close (2 miles?) to the Interstate. Stop to charge, get some food (many eateries on the Mall grounds) or shop.

89 E Towne Mall
    Madison, WI
    (608) 244-1387

19. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Just posting a update. If the dry weather holds out this weekend, I am going to try and get a 14-50 outlet installed right next to the office. At least everyone here will have a reliable charging location.

As for a actual station, working on that too. Still hoping for a supercharger at our place, but planning for the worst. Another member here offered me a Tesla Station at a discount, I won't share who, but I greatly appreciate the offer and am keeping that as a option. if I'm going to install a station though, I would really like one that is useable by all EV's, and am working on a lead to get a used Chargepoint Station, which is more expensive then the tesla charger, but that is still iffy. If that falls through, I will go back for the Tesla Station if this Very Generous offer still stands.

It will be the first and currently Only Charging Station in the dells, I want to do this right, as it can really help the family business as well!

Cherrs!

20. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

IMO, Teslas are really the only EVs that can make the trip from Minneapolis to Chicago, or Chicago/Minneapolis to the Dells and back. So, if you install a J1772 (ChargePoint), it will be too slow for Teslas, and end up like the ChargePoint in Sparta - never used. I strongly recommend installing an HPWC wired for the max 80A charging.