Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin plate Model 3 parked in Millbrae parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy had to abandon his Model 3 in a parking garage in New York. He was working in New York and came back to Toronto to visit his family a few weeks ago, he couldn't go back due to the lockout.

I suspect there are quite a few parked/abandoned Model 3's that may not see a charge for several weeks/months.

Hopefully it’s fine. I helped a guy on the local FB group who said his car was down to 5% (Model S) and asked if anyone would go to the airport and get it charged, he got stuck out of town longer than expected.

It all worked out as he unlocked and started it from the app, I drove to the SC got it back to 80% then parked it back at the airport. Dude was super grateful and it didn’t take much of my time anyways to help a fellow owner.

Hopefully it’s fine. I helped a guy on the local FB group who said his car was down to 5% (Model S) and asked if anyone would go to the airport and get it charged, he got stuck out of town longer than expected.

It all worked out as he unlocked and started it from the app, I drove to the SC got it back to 80% then parked it back at the airport. Dude was super grateful and it didn’t take much of my time anyways to help a fellow owner.
We should start a thread for people stuck in other cities that need this. Maybe members that are willing can watch the thread so they get a notification to check if a post is about a car in their city. Maybe make it a master thread so it stays pinned at the top so people in this predicament can find it easily? Let’s brainstorm some ideas so opportunists don’t start stealing Teslas by posing as members. I just read that crime is way down except for car thefts (up by almost 50% in some cities!) and burglaries of closed businesses.

Last edited:
We should start a thread for people stuck in other cities that need this. Maybe members that are willing can watch the thread so they get a notification to check if a post is about a car in their city. Maybe make it a master thread so it stays pinned at the top so people in this predicament can find it easily? Let’s brainstorm some ideas so opportunists don’t start stealing Teslas by posing as members. I just read that crime is way down except for car thefts (up by almost 50% in some cities!) and burglaries of closed businesses.

I think that is a good idea but easily abused. This dude took a HUGE chance on me, I gave him my cell and where I lived yada yada to make him feel comfortable but I don't know if I could that. I think hitting up your local club or whatnot is the best idea or just pay Tesla for the tow...

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
I love our Teslas(model 3 stealth in US and model s in Switzerland) but this is probably one of only few drawbacks of owning a Tesla. We had our Tesla in Switzerland parked in Geneva airport and couldn't go back. So we had to have one of our friends go get it...

I would call the police so they can run the plate and check to see if the owner is OK. The situation seems a little odd to me. People don't leave $50,000 cars laying around in parking lots for weeks on end.

People leave million dollar hypercars around all the time. If you call the police it would most like be towed at a cost of $150+ per day until picked up and they would not check on the owner.

People leave million dollar hypercars around all the time. If you call the police it would most like be towed at a cost of $150+ per day until picked up and they would not check on the owner.
If the car is parked legally why would they tow it? I'm talking about a welfare check on the owner. For all anyone knows he/she could be dead in the trunk. I've never seen a million dollar car just parked in some lot for 3-5 weeks. Also, if the car is just sitting for weeks some criminal that's been watching it might decide it's safe to break in to it since the owner is absent.