Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Registration Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I’m in Wisconsin and I’m currently going through Hell to get my Tesla registered. I Had to buy the car in Illinois because of laws. Then got the 30 day temp tags which expire on the 5th of July. Tesla literally just sent my packet yesterday. Wisconsin DmV online tool doesn’t work, I go in person and they are not doing things in person yet. Only option is to mail it in . Called two service centers and was told they can’t do anything. I asked for a loaner/ even a month of FSD as compensation and nope nothing. So until I hear from the state I have a $50,000 Brick in my driveway. If anyone has any tips for me I would greatly appreciate it. I understand it isn’t entirely Tesla’s fault but why did it take 26 days to mail out some documents? I feel like they dropped the ball somewhere here and now I have to spend my holiday weekend figuring out how I’m going to get to work next week.

I've had my third leased Model S since March. It's now 4 months later and they haven't sent any registration information. I've been driving with an invalid plate the whole time. Tesla Finance says they will pass it along to "the person in charge" every time. No one has ever called me back or emailed me. No one will ever give me their name or anyone else's name.

My Model S is the best car I have ever owned but their leasing department makes me feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of criminals trying to hide something. Does anyone have any advice?

Upvote 0
Picked up my leased MYLR in Colorado Springs on June 9. Still no registration packet as of July 21. Two days ago spoke to “Ashley” who said she’d email the MCO immediately and assured me that the NM MVD would accept this. No email arrived. Upon reflection, I realized that this was pure BS. Then I spoke with another agent who could give me no ETA on the document. I asked for his manager. His response: oh, I work at home.

Our neighbor picked up his MY in CSprings a week after we did. His packet arrived two weeks ago. We are not happy.

in addition, the CSpgs agent fouled up on insurance. I had to forward, again, proof of insurance. And a screw-up on lease payments: had set up autopay from my Merrill Lynch cash account as with other auto leases. Tesla just didn’t do it, and I got a notice of delinquency.

Upvote 0
Over here in northwest Indiana, picked up my MYLR in Illinois on 6/22 with a 30 day permit. Called the dealership last week asking what to do when this expires. They sent me the FedEx tracking number showing the shipment information was sent 7/9, picked up by FedEx 7/14, delivered to Indianapolis 7/15. Dealership said it takes IN 2-4 weeks to issue title, at which point I can go into the BMV and get my registration. She said most IN cops are “understanding” about the slow registration process, but if I get a ticket “they will pay for it.” They won’t issue another temporary permit.

Hopefully I don’t need to test that theory, but:
  • this process is pathetically slow and manual, both on Tesla’s end (sitting on paperwork for 3 weeks before shipping) and at the BMV, and
  • poorly communicated (as in - not at all) as to process and status
It’s the only hitch in what has otherwise been a smooth experience. In the meantime I’m driving the car.

Upvote 0
I'm in South Carolina and had a similar situation. I picked up the car in Georga since that's the closest store. I gave Tesla the paperwork two or three days after delivery and they didn't send it to the DMV until almost a month later it seems. My tag expired nine days ago, but Tesla gave me a loaner until my tags come in.

Upvote 0