Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, yes, that's Livewire parked next to N & C employee vehicles. I had a discussion with the shift manager and it's nothing more than a sense of entitlement by the workers. Those spots were *their* spots and now they have to park further away, over by the pesky dumpsters. I plan on reaching out to Tesla to handle this with the property management company, but if you're headed there, call ahead to Noodles & Company @ (715) 858-9000 and ask them to move their cars. Heaven forbid 3 Model S' show up at more or less the same time and try to use it, right? Feel free to express yourself and listen to some teenager whine about having to park next to a garbage can.

Vexar, Looks like our Saturday Night drive with my rant in the above videos is going just a wee bit viral @_@ If anyone here hasn't seen it yet, Look at my post in the main Video section of the site. Those that posted on Twitter about Noodles & Company, that is getting followed by Plug Share even.

Hi, yes, that's Livewire parked next to N & C employee vehicles. I had a discussion with the shift manager and it's nothing more than a sense of entitlement by the workers. Those spots were *their* spots and now they have to park further away, over by the pesky dumpsters. I plan on reaching out to Tesla to handle this with the property management company, but if you're headed there, call ahead to Noodles & Company @ (715) 858-9000 and ask them to move their cars. Heaven forbid 3 Model S' show up at more or less the same time and try to use it, right? Feel free to express yourself and listen to some teenager whine about having to park next to a garbage can.
Luckily not all teenagers are like that :wink:

I'm at pleasant prairie now, they're putting up the fence around the equipment. Charging at 100kW, arrived with 70 miles remaining on a P85.

down to 56kW, with 175 miles range now, sounds about right for a 120kW...

I know it technically could go faster, I kinda wish it would, I gotta get to work!

not a bit baffled..

I can now use my P85 to get to work every day. (Mke to Chi) I've had to stop using my car when it is below 35* because I can't make the round trip with the heat set to anything that is comfortable.

and highland park is a pain in the ass to get to when you're trying to commute.. adds 20-30 minutes by itself not counting charge time.

I am in the same boat once / week, but the reverse direction. I have been checking this board every day to see when this one opened :)

I am in the same boat once / week, but the reverse direction. I have been checking this board every day to see when this one opened :)

I see one black Model S almost every day on my way down.. I know one lives in IL somewhere but works at a TV station right near my house.. (the had a HPWC installed there at the same time I put mine in, the inspector was telling me about it)... Not sure if that is the same person every day or not.

I stopped at the Point Prairie chargers on Sunday morning about 10:30 AM to find them all available and working perfectly.

Kenosha 1.jpg
Kenosha 2.jpg

I ran mine down to 10 miles, which was honestly a bit lower than I wanted to go. I took the pics shortly after plugging in so I don't know how much the ratings changed over time. We came back about 1 hour later and I was up to a 180 mile range (which was my setting).

Took a little road trip from Madison to Mitchell SD last week, stopping in La Crosse, Albert Lea, Worthington and Mitchell. I just wanted to share a scary moment and find out what others would have done!
The LaCrosse to Albert Lea distance is about 120 miles. Based on the energy I had been using from Madison to lacrosse, I calculated a charge to 180 would safely get me there with a little cushion. Well, turns out it is pretty much UP HILL the whole way. Plus I went through some sort of weather front so developed a big northwest head wind AND the temperature dropped from 25 in lacrosse to 5 shortly across the border into Minnesota. Despite slowing to 50mph for the last 2/3 of the drive, it became clear I wasn't going to make it, and you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere in southern Minnesota. My range went down to 0 with the supercharger still 6.5 miles away. I stayed on the highway and kept driving. About a mile later the gauge said CHARGE NOW!! in big red letters. I kept driving and hoping that "reserve" I'd read about was real. I was waiting for the gauge to say GAME OVER but it never did - pulled up to the Albert Lea charger, which is mercifully close to the interstate and easy to find, and backed in to the stall. When I put the car into Park there was a dire 'Charge dangerously low! Don't let the car get colder! You will lose energy!' message. I then plugged in, bowed down and said a prayer thanking the patron Saint Tesla, and cooled my heels at McDonalds until I was charged ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
So how close was I to wrecking everything? Would it turn itself off before the car committed battery suicide? My Plan B was to call a tow truck...

Took a little road trip from Madison to Mitchell SD last week, stopping in La Crosse, Albert Lea, Worthington and Mitchell. I just wanted to share a scary moment and find out what others would have done!
The LaCrosse to Albert Lea distance is about 120 miles. Based on the energy I had been using from Madison to lacrosse, I calculated a charge to 180 would safely get me there with a little cushion. Well, turns out it is pretty much UP HILL the whole way. Plus I went through some sort of weather front so developed a big northwest head wind AND the temperature dropped from 25 in lacrosse to 5 shortly across the border into Minnesota. Despite slowing to 50mph for the last 2/3 of the drive, it became clear I wasn't going to make it, and you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere in southern Minnesota. My range went down to 0 with the supercharger still 6.5 miles away. I stayed on the highway and kept driving. About a mile later the gauge said CHARGE NOW!! in big red letters. I kept driving and hoping that "reserve" I'd read about was real. I was waiting for the gauge to say GAME OVER but it never did - pulled up to the Albert Lea charger, which is mercifully close to the interstate and easy to find, and backed in to the stall. When I put the car into Park there was a dire 'Charge dangerously low! Don't let the car get colder! You will lose energy!' message. I then plugged in, bowed down and said a prayer thanking the patron Saint Tesla, and cooled my heels at McDonalds until I was charged ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
So how close was I to wrecking everything? Would it turn itself off before the car committed battery suicide? My Plan B was to call a tow truck...

Yeah head winds are the really tough part to plan for. A shift in the wind the wrong way can put you from "in good shape" to "up a crick without a paddle" if you don't have quite enough margin. In another month or two this won't be an issue but in the winter planning and margin may have to be increased a little depending on your risk tolerance.

Just out of curiosity what was your Cabin temp set to? Did you have Range Mode enabled? Turning OFF the cabin climate control completely can do wonders for energy savings and as long as you have appropriate winter clothing with you (and you can keep the windows from fogging) it can really get you that last little bit you need to get to your next charge.

But yeah, the last resort would be to just call a tow truck to get you the the SC. Inconvenient, sure, but not the end of the world. AFAIK the car is smart enough to keep you from bricking the battery. Glad it didn't come to that!

- - - Updated - - -

Aurora, IL supercharger now online! 4 charging bays. Wow we totally missed this one entirely!

Aurora Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Thanks for the heads up Sgt Barone!

That is an... interesting spot. Maybe this is what I'm going to call a "sponsored" supercharger? It doesn't seem fit the profile of the other two types we have seen so far, at least in the midwest, of "at service center" or "Interstate Travel" centered SC's.

aaaaand this thread would appear to confirm the "sponsored" hypothosis

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/27943-Aurora-Supercharger-added

Just out of curiosity what was your Cabin temp set to? Did you have Range Mode enabled? Turning OFF the cabin climate control completely can do wonders for energy savings and as long as you have appropriate winter clothing with you (and you can keep the windows from fogging) it can really get you that last little bit you need to get to your next charge.

I was in range mode the whole way (which, IMO, can't really keep up re: cabin temp when it is really cold outside). Had on my hat and mittens and draped an extra fleece over my lap. But I didn't have the cabin temp all the way off -- down to the minimum 64. Seat heater definitely on 3. Once I knew I was on the edge of making it I was PLENTY WARM with my fast heart beat and ringing ears and anxiety! :scared:

I was in range mode the whole way (which, IMO, can't really keep up re: cabin temp when it is really cold outside). Had on my hat and mittens and draped an extra fleece over my lap. But I didn't have the cabin temp all the way off -- down to the minimum 64. Seat heater definitely on 3. Once I knew I was on the edge of making it I was PLENTY WARM with my fast heart beat and ringing ears and anxiety! :scared:

Your right about range mode, I had it on all the time till about mid Dec. then it just couldn't keep pace.