TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wish it had a dead pedal on the go pedal side!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by SGM1980, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SGM1980

SGM1980 Member

What with adaptive cruise control for the highway and stop and go traffic, and the fact that it holds itself at lights and stop signs, I keep wishing there was somewhere to rest my right foot.

Holding it up over the pedals is tiring, and i like having my foot more quickly accessable then when i bend my knee and put my foot flat on the floor.

Anyone else wish there were two dead pedals?

• Like x 2
  2. neptunesfinest

I agree they should think about this. I've always thought they should open up the driver/passenger foot well by eliminating part of the center console. I suppose there's a bit of a safety risk though (having that area open to passengers). I'd love to be able to stretch my right leg into that area though.

3. Joshan

Joshan Member

I personally think this may be too odd at this time and would cause mistakes when switching between other cars or in panic situations.

4. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

It's a good point, and a sign of the future where the controls of a car will be very different. I don't see all the controls going away anytime soon since full autonomous driving seems so far away to me, but I do see them changing in the interim to some new form of input devices where you make the driving decisions and then tell the computer where you want it to go and how you want to drive (i.e. your driving style).

So a second dead pedal makes sense, and they probably need to rethink the center console so you have more room to have that pedal. At least they don't have to move a gas engine/transmission to get that extra foot room.

5. drewpost

drewpost Member

I had this on my last car (VW Tiguan) with adaptive cruise. It was a lovely feature and I really miss it from the Tesla!!

• Informative x 1
  6. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Active Member

7. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  8. Mcfly777

Mcfly777 Member

Is this what you had? The only image I could find of a 2017 Tiguan. Also this is RHD. The area to the right of the accelerator doesn't look like it's intended to be used as a dead pedal, though it certainly could be.
    2017-vw-tiguan-11.jpg

• Informative x 1
  9. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

Bad idea.

• Like x 2
  10. drewpost

drewpost Member

I had a hunt through the pics from the three years I owned the car but didn't have any shots of my own. I found this pic on a review. It didn't have the same texture as the other dead pedal but it absolutely was a dead pedal for the right foot. There was plenty of difference in terms of space and depth that I never had an issue between it and the accelerator (and that's even wearing wide Doc Martens). I had a Skoda Superb and an Octavia before then that also had Adaptive Cruise that didn't have this additional area.

tiguan-allspace-vwtg-20.jpg

11. drewpost

drewpost Member

Oh, and just for clarity, I am in the UK so mine was a RHD version of the Tiguan