Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wish me luck...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well - in summary ..... :) :)

In detail:

- Car is damned near perfect. Only flaw is slight asymmetry on bumper fit at front. But it's very minor. Not sure I'll bother with it. Door fit and other panel alignment is absolutely spot on - probably better than the 335i I traded in.

- Paint looks perfect too. Can't find any obvious issues. Some sparse coverage inside door jambs at front, but it's not much and not an issue for me.

- Added about 100 miles of charge at Supercharger at collection point. Didn't need to wait fur a place. Took about 20 mins - just enough time to pair phone, take a close paint inspection, take a few pics, and fiddle with a few settings.

- Did a 140 mile trip from WD to home, stopping off at a friend's place at Stevenage on the way. 140 miles at 250 Wh/mi.

So, whilst the collection experience is very unorthodox, I'm overall very satisfied.

For those still waiting, I hope you have a great collection experience when the time comes!
Congrats. I too am coming from a 335i. Which M3 did you go for?

Congrats. I too am coming from a 335i.

Quite a few Tesla owners have come from a 335i, after all it is the 'thinking man's M3':).

Its also a great way to prepare for Tesla ownership, afterall once you've experienced water pump failure, fuel pump failure, leaking gaskets, wastegate rattle, coolant leaks, serpentine belt wear, coil pack failures, and all occurring just after the warranty period ends, a bit of panel gap misalignment is a welcome relief in return for a car that works rather than been stuck in the workshop for a whole summer :rolleyes:.

14779273880_68aa9ecf57_c_d.jpg

Well - in summary ..... :) :)

- Car is damned near perfect. Only flaw is slight asymmetry on bumper fit at front. But it's very minor. Not sure I'll bother with it. Door fit and other panel alignment is absolutely spot on - probably better than the 335i I traded in.

I'd say the same for mine which I picked up on Friday from WD. Front bumper is slightly off, but as far as I can tell a lot of them are like this. I think it's just how they are built, and to be honest, if it wasn't for these forums I would never have looked at it. No one I've shown the car to has even noticed, so I don't care.

Did you get a tow hook in the frunk?

Quite a few Tesla owners have come from a 335i, after all it is the 'thinking man's M3':).

Its also a great way to prepare for Tesla ownership, afterall once you've experienced water pump failure, fuel pump failure, leaking gaskets, wastegate rattle, coolant leaks, serpentine belt wear, coil pack failures, and all occurring just after the warranty period ends, a bit of panel gap misalignment is a welcome relief in return for a car that works rather than been stuck in the workshop for a whole summer :rolleyes:.

14779273880_68aa9ecf57_c_d.jpg

I could be wrong, but I recognise your name from some other forums I've frequented over the years (CS / Z / e90) ...

If so, I too experienced all of those issues on my 335i but was under warranty luckily.

Yours still white as per your sig, or did you get a blue one in the end. If so, we might have got a swap.
I got my ordered car - white LR AWD, black interior with tow bar.

Great stuff! Looking forward to more feedback on how you find it to drive and hopefully you will share a photo :D
Feedback to follow. Here's a very quick photo:
upload_2019-10-1_12-19-30.png

C486038A-D825-443D-A7F5-88B54EEBF4EF.jpeg
Hope your journey back to Warwickshire was not too soggy. We stopped off at South Mimms for a rejuice. Have to say the car performed really well in testing driving conditions. The wife slept most of the way

View attachment 461335

View attachment 461335

View attachment 461340 Hope your journey back to Warwickshire was not too soggy. We stopped off at South Mimms for a rejuice. Have to say the car performed really well in testing driving conditions. The wife slept most of the way
Journey was pretty soggy at the end. Still - a chance to see if the auto wipers worked. In the main they did. On one occasion though they did have a massive fail.

The rain had eased a little so they were on intermittent. But then a car passed us on the opposite side of the road and threw a small ocean of water onto us as it went through a big puddle. Visibility was basically zero but the wipers just sat there immobile. My wife was driving and she half panicked trying to figure out how to get the wipers to work. The instinct is to move the wiper stalk up to full - and quickly. Farting around with the screen is definitely not what you want in this situation. I know that pushing the button on the stalk will do a single pass, but I don't think it's enough. The wiper control design is definitely a bad piece of UI engineering.

It's too late now course to add extra stalks or physical controls, but a software fix along the following lines would probably be a good idea:

- Press the end stalk - wipers do a single swish
- For the next 5 secs (or whatever), the left control wheel interprets up/down as wiper speed adjustment rather than volume control

Thoughts?

- Press the end stalk - wipers do a single swish
- For the next 5 secs (or whatever), the left control wheel interprets up/down as wiper speed adjustment rather than volume control

Thoughts?

Exactly what I was thinking too, either that or multi presses on the end stalk to cycle. It definitely needs a fix - auto can be improved and that would be great, but there still needs to be a more tactile/ rapid motion to switch modes when it isn’t working.

Yep, my conclusion, at least with my car - the auto wipe needs some very urgent attention. Mine was bordering on dangerous.

Had issues cancelling Easter eggs too. Part of my journey had jingle bells as the indicator sound and a Martian landscape for satnav. Didn’t know it was like this when I set off and could not find an easy way to cancel it when in motion.

Agreed on the auto wipers. At least with my vehicle, they need to kick in much more quickly or have a sensitivity adjustment in the settings menu.

This is surely going to become more of a thing now they’re appearing in the uk. I bet most Californian drivers have hardly ever used them except to clean and when it rains the heavens opens. In the uk, that annoying drizzly half-raining state is a daily situation so crap auto wipers drives you nuts.

if you want to experience truly annoying though, have a go in my American motorhome which has the manual wipers a mile away on the dash and it’s a mechanical twirly wheel dial thing that drives you insane. You end up just letting them drag across the screen it’s that hard to operate in changing conditions.

Reactions: GrumpyManUK