Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wish We Could Submit Speed Limit Corrections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
I wish there was a way to submit speed limit corrections.

What I have in mind is a quick and easy way to send in a correction when the posted speed limit doesn’t match the database speed limit. The system wouldn’t need to change with a single submitted correction but if there were a significant number of them, then the car would post both the database speed limit and the corrected speed limit. There might be a software switch to allow one to adopt either as his own default.

If the submitted corrections were within 1/8 mile or so of the database making a similar change, then the correction could be ignored. This would prevent someone seeing a speed limit sign in the distance then submitting a correction before the official point of change.

If it was sufficiently dynamic, it could account for construction as well.

Suppose the system needed 10 similar corrections from 10 different users in order to effect the tentative change, then required another 5 confirmations from 5 other users in order to present the corrected speed limit to the general Tesla population. Then those that wanted to use the corrected version could, those that preferred the official database would be free to stick with that.

If there was an area without sufficient Teslas to do the above, then perhaps require 50% of the available cars to submit a change and another 20% or so to confirm.

If and when the car becomes able to adequately read speed limit signs, then they could let the cars own cameras correct the general database without the user input.

Anyway it’d be nice if the displayed speed limit was always right.

I agree. There’s a section of my morning commute where the speed limit is off by 10 mph, making Autopilot useless there. The speed limit is correctly recognized by my AP1 Model S but not my Model 3. I’ve reported the error via bug report a bunch of times, hoping it helps, but nothing has changed in over a year.

The combination of mistakes in the onboard speed limit database coupled with using "fleet speed" and recent construction changes not reflected in the onboard map database is causing unnecessary slow downs.

Unfortunately, it appears the onboard speed limit and map databases, which appear to be used while operating under TACC, lane keeping and NOAP, are not updated very often - so mistakes in those databases appear to cause unnecessary slow downs for extended periods (months to a year).

Unclear how Tesla is using the new fleet speed data - if that's also stored in an onboard database or downloaded more frequently or on demand.

Agree there needs to be a way to fix this.

Ultimately this data must be kept up-to-date, reflecting current conditions - and responding quickly to changes made in the speed limits or in the roads (usually due to construction).

Musk has commented that the HD maps being used by other manufacturers will never work completely - because that data is always at risk of being out-of-date, and that the best long term solution was for the onboard system to properly detect the roads and traffic signs, like a human driver.

The same logic should be applied to Tesla's current use of the speed limit database, fleet speed and onboard map database - that data is also always at risk of being incorrect.

We're in a transition period until the AP system is able to better react to actual road conditions. Until then the various data sources are the best Tesla can do.

I agree it would be help if there was a way to report not only incorrect speed limit data - but also incorrect road mapping (due to recent road construction changes). The onboard databases should be updated much more frequently - which would be possible if the data was sent to vehicles frequently only for the relatively small area within driving range (150-200 mile radius?).

And, until Tesla gets this working better, due to the potential safety risks in unnecessarily slowing down in the middle of high speed traffic, it would also be helpful if Tesla would provide a setting to disable automatic speed adjustments, or use the speed data only as advice by displaying a message on the dashboard requiring confirmation by the driver to implement the speed adjustment (like there is for Auto Lane Change).

Unfortunately, a frequent trip I make is on two highways that have been undergoing construction - which causes frequent false slow downs, making TACC almost unusable for much of the trip. And because the speed changes are done without any notification, it takes more effort to maintain speed than driving manually...

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The real question (somewhat alluded to) is when will Tesla use their own database. We assume now it’s not so any corrections pretty much go nowhere. I assume it’s updated by local authorities who may not report everything or drop some, etc.

If Tesla was using their own db that would definitely be a candidate for crowdsourcing updates from the community. I think we all agree this will happen at some point as FSD truly gets closer, but not sure on the logistics. They would have to put the word out and have a mechanism for this (or use the old db and allow Tesla-only updates?).

The real question (somewhat alluded to) is when will Tesla use their own database. We assume now it’s not so any corrections pretty much go nowhere. I assume it’s updated by local authorities who may not report everything or drop some, etc.

If Tesla was using their own db that would definitely be a candidate for crowdsourcing updates from the community. I think we all agree this will happen at some point as FSD truly gets closer, but not sure on the logistics. They would have to put the word out and have a mechanism for this (or use the old db and allow Tesla-only updates?).

As far as I know, Tesla is using Google’s database. Unfortunately, Google doesn’t make it easy to update their road data. Waze road edits may eventually make their way into the main Google database, but I haven’t messed around with it enough to know for sure.

• Informative
With the latest 20.2.1 update an area that was previously reporting as 30mph is now corrected to 50mph and I can use AP! Finally after two years. Maybe there was a database update and/or my constant reporting has paid off.

I once read that you could submit a speed limit update as a bug report via voice control. I emailed Tesla customer service to learn more about that and weeks later got a canned “feature request” email saying they’d pass on the idea etc etc.

As an aside, I noticed just a few weeks ago that I’m seeing a LOT more speed limit data in my area, as though some sort of update or transition recently occurred.

Reactions: MS_Dream and MX75D
With the latest 20.2.1 update an area that was previously reporting as 30mph is now corrected to 50mph and I can use AP! Finally after two years. Maybe there was a database update and/or my constant reporting has paid off.
Is this connected to the maps update process, that you got a new one there? I can’t see how AP firmware changes would include this db. Since the maps are Google-based (unless it’s changed again) I’d assume part of that. I’ve not checked my maps version to see if that changed with 20.x, last I saw mine said a 2018 date (if that’s what it means).

I have seen newer (2019) dates for a Europe map file, is the current one for the US 2018?

I once read that you could submit a speed limit update as a bug report via voice control. I emailed Tesla customer service to learn more about that and weeks later got a canned “feature request” email saying they’d pass on the idea etc etc.

As an aside, I noticed just a few weeks ago that I’m seeing a LOT more speed limit data in my area, as though some sort of update or transition recently occurred.

That isn’t how but report works at all. Bug report takes a snapshot of your car’s data along with a message so your service center can more easily identify any issues with your vehicle. That data is saved on your vehicle until your next service visit.

Say the air conditioning locks up for some reason. You could use the bug report feature to save a snapshot of that period in time. At your next service visit, they’ll download the bug reports from your car and see what was going on.

Last edited:
That isn’t how but report works. Bug report takes a snapshot of your car’s data along with a message so your service center can more easily identify any issues with your vehicle.

Say the air conditioning locks up for some reason. You could use the bug report feature to save a snapshot of that period in time. At your next service visit, they’ll download the bug reports from your car and see what was going on.
For speed limit, yeah, no point.

For bugs in general, every time this is discussed we go back and forth since I’ve been told that they are sent to Tesla and don’t need to be downloaded by the SC. If they are really only local to the car, some cars may have bug reports literally years old.

People recommend using bug report for AP errors. Not too useful if it gets reported only when you have a two year service or whatever.

For speed limit, yeah, no point.

For bugs in general, every time this is discussed we go back and forth since I’ve been told that they are sent to Tesla and don’t need to be downloaded by the SC. If they are really only local to the car, some cars may have bug reports literally years old.

People recommend using bug report for AP errors. Not too useful if it gets reported only when you have a two year service or whatever.

I’ve heard conflicting things, as well. From my experience, the bug reports show up at the service center as soon as the car connects to TeslaService WiFi. However it works, it isn’t helpful for speed limits.

• Helpful
That isn’t how but report works at all. Bug report takes a snapshot of your car’s data along with a message so your service center can more easily identify any issues with your vehicle. That data is saved on your vehicle until your next service visit.

Totally agree - bug report didn’t seem like the right procedure to me either - that’s why I emailed Tesla.

Is this connected to the maps update process, that you got a new one there? I can’t see how AP firmware changes would include this db. Since the maps are Google-based (unless it’s changed again) I’d assume part of that. I’ve not checked my maps version to see if that changed with 20.x, last I saw mine said a 2018 date (if that’s what it means).

I have seen newer (2019) dates for a Europe map file, is the current one for the US 2018?

Our MCU1 X has 2018 maps. Our MCU2 3 has 2019 maps. There is an old thread on that. Also saw on the MCU1->2 upgrade thread that maybe only MCU2's have been getting the new 2019 maps. True for a few of us at least.

The 2019 map did have many more (so far correct) speed limits.

In the past few years of road trips we've usually run into a segment of Interstate with the speed limit changing between 55 MPH and 65/70 MPH but no construction, and then before or after that a constant 65/70 MPH through current construction zone 55 MPH zones. It would be nice if they wouldn't just mindlessly record speed limits that are temporary and then never update them.

• Informative
Our MCU1 X has 2018 maps. Our MCU2 3 has 2019 maps. There is an old thread on that. Also saw on the MCU1->2 upgrade thread that maybe only MCU2's have been getting the new 2019 maps. True for a few of us at least.

The 2019 map did have many more (so far correct) speed limits.

In the past few years of road trips we've usually run into a segment of Interstate with the speed limit changing between 55 MPH and 65/70 MPH but no construction, and then before or after that a constant 65/70 MPH through current construction zone 55 MPH zones. It would be nice if they wouldn't just mindlessly record speed limits that are temporary and then never update them.
And obviously for real FSD this will need to be much more current than from last year. One more improvement to wait for!

I wish there was a way to submit speed limit corrections.

What I have in mind is a quick and easy way to send in a correction when the posted speed limit doesn’t match the database speed limit. The system wouldn’t need to change with a single submitted correction but if there were a significant number of them, then the car would post both the database speed limit and the corrected speed limit. There might be a software switch to allow one to adopt either as his own default.

If the submitted corrections were within 1/8 mile or so of the database making a similar change, then the correction could be ignored. This would prevent someone seeing a speed limit sign in the distance then submitting a correction before the official point of change.

If it was sufficiently dynamic, it could account for construction as well.

Suppose the system needed 10 similar corrections from 10 different users in order to effect the tentative change, then required another 5 confirmations from 5 other users in order to present the corrected speed limit to the general Tesla population. Then those that wanted to use the corrected version could, those that preferred the official database would be free to stick with that.

If there was an area without sufficient Teslas to do the above, then perhaps require 50% of the available cars to submit a change and another 20% or so to confirm.

If and when the car becomes able to adequately read speed limit signs, then they could let the cars own cameras correct the general database without the user input.

Anyway it’d be nice if the displayed speed limit was always right.

There is a way to submit speed limit change. It worked for me and took about 3-4 weeks. Try this link....
OpenStreetMap

The Nav/Speed limit maps/database is not Google-based. (The map displayed to you is Google based, but the system use Tesla maps internally for navigation.) I heard that they transitioned from Garmin to TomTom for speed limit data, but that could have changed again when they went to Tesla maps. (Which are based on OpenStreetMaps.)