TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wishful thinking .. but probably a good idea..

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Good idea? Bad idea?

1. Good Idea

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Bad Idea

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other (please leave comment..)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

It seems that Tesla's battery lasts the test of time, and arguably is the most durable part of the car.
    Most of the "reliability" issues, are mostly around everything except the battery, and are the kinds of issues that will get worse with them as the car ages (any car).

Wouldn't it be hella nice if,
    - You could buy the shell of the car independent of the battery?
    - And you could buy the battery independent of the shell?

So,
    - Hey I got in a major accident, just buy a new shell.
    - Hey I want autopilot, trade in your shell.
    - Hey I want to get the latest body style and some fancy new features, okay trade in the shell.
    - Third parties customizing the shell, while giving you a loaner shell.
    - People trading shells on craigslist.
    - Meh I'm bored of Tesla (should this impossibility ever occur), I'll sell the shell, and keep the battery for powerwall.
    - etc.

2. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

No feelings so far on the overall concept, just a few observations:

Keep battery for power wall - Someone asked this question at last week's shareholder meeting and Elon elaborated that the chemistry in the power wall batteries are optimized for daily cycling and the car's battery is tuned for longer periods, meaning you'd get better performance from a powerwall. I know others have done it so it's possible but maybe not optimal.
    Trading batteries? - If people were to trade, I'd only see up being the viable path.
    Trading shells - Process improvements in the production line would essentially yield a different shell configuration, meaning it might not be possible to marry an new shell with an older battery in the same way.
    Shell trading - I suppose I have the same observation about shells as batteries, that most of the trading should be one-way (up). I don't have AP but wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth if someone offered it. If I HAD AP, I don't think I'd be looking to trade it away for a car without it.

I think the people buying non-AP cars are doing it through Tesla's CPO program and aren't ready to commit to a new car yet.

3. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I actually don't think it's bad concept, I just think it's a bad idea for Tesla as a company right now. We have seen from their recent changes that they are trying to make things as homologous as possible. IMO allowing "shell" or battery swaps will complicate things beyond what we want right now for Tesla as a new company. Maybe it's an idea to revisit after the Model 3 is out and going smoothly. Even at this point, all of us buying are still in the early adopter group. The Model 3 consumer is not going to tolerate the type of launch the Model X had.