Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wishing I had bought the X (current S owner) - think I can get a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of an inventory S 90 D in September w/ 500 miles. Built in May with PUP, AP 2, White interior, Premium Sound. Showroom discount of $16K taking the price down to $89K or so. Had it for about 4 months and it's at 8K miles right now.

I'm really wanting an X, probably a 100D to cope with the lesser efficiency. Any estimates as to what Tesla is going to offer me for a trade-in? The additional $7,500 tax credit on the X will help offset the trade-in hit. My current vehicle is paid off, and will be paying cash for the next as well, if I go through with it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Good luck on trade in. Last week a guy said they depreciated his 40%. He sold it himself.
How long did he have the vehicle? If Tesla depreciates my vehicle 40% for owning it 4 months, I might sell it and buy a gas guzzler out of spite! Surely they can at least offer me $70K-$75K and easily sell it for $80K. Edmunds and KBB put my vehicle in the $70K-$75K range.

I will sell mine. Take cash to the bank. Buy another used one from private owner. Give them a good price. In summer of 2020 mine will be worthless. 8 yr warranty gone is scary , I can fix anything in rear, but not batteries. We all need to look at the end of our warranties. How much will we be gambling after the 8 yr warranty is gone? Back to depreciation. You can sell it privately fast.

I have a 2017 Model S - a P100D. Bought it in September. My wife has an X90D. My car is gorgeous and stupid fast - but I can’t shake the feeling that I prefer her car. The driving position, the doors... and when I look at a X with the black 22” wheels have to admit to a feeling of car envy....

My local Tesla shop has an inventory XP100D with 5000 km on it, for a huge discount. I am thinking of swapping. The S looks better (or at least sleeker and more beautiful) and it drives better. And we already have an X. So I am officially crazy. But there is just something about the X.

Test drove an X today. I think it's decided... I'm keeping the S for now.

I much preferred the driving feel of my S. The little features here and there are certainly nice on the X, but not enough to be worth taking the huge hit. The cockpit windshield of the X is awesome, but combined with the large front windows and sitting up high, it almost felt like I was in some kind of bubble - just didn't really like the feel. S is a hell of a lot more sporty for sure.

And no longer having Alcantara on the dashboard for new vehicles (& possibly headliner according to new deliveries!) is a huge letdown for an already lackluster interior.

Also, went to a Jeep dealer to possibly look for a new vehicle for the wife (2 Tesla's is out of the question). I asked them what they'd give me for my S, and they seemed comfortable with $75K. The OA at my showroom told me straight up Tesla's offer was a joke and to sell privately if I wanted to move forward on an X.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Can't go wrong either way, personal prefernce. Driving a loaner model S for a few days after having our X was painful. The difference in entering/exiting the vehicle in front or back is huge. I'm not a big person, 5'9 160 lbs but not a great low back, felt like I had to nearly fold myself in half to get in the model S.

I agree on the looks/driving being better with an S but not by much.