Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wishing Out Loud: A mini Tesla DC charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are Chademo chargers scattered in many odd places well off the interstate in the U.S. . If the standard wasn't going away I would buy the adapter.

I don't know why EA was allowed to build its network and not include the primary brand of EV. It was suppose to punish VW, not provide them with the charging network they needed for their EVs.

I wish Tesla felt more pressure to do CCS in the U.S. Tesla will need to have both plug types on Superchargers. The longer they wait the bigger the hassle supporting two standards.

Reactions: SageBrush
ABB makes a 25kW DC charger in the Euro market.. but it's closer to US$10k. 3ph 32A is gettable to power it without any fancy transformers and the like.

Delta 25kW chargers are also available for $10k if you only put one cable on it. The second cable (CCS / CHAdeMO) is another $2,500. They are also available for 120Y208V 3-phase power service.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Most commercial service is 120/208v but you could install 480/277v 3ph chargers on their own service. For chargers over 90kw I think 480v makes more sense, but that's not including the load that is on the current 120/208v service.

Setec makes 90-120kw CCS1/Tesla chargers for $15,000/$18,000 plus shipping and taxes. It's probably the cheapest per Kw of all the DCFC I've looked at, but the reputation of Setec in Europe is less than stellar.

Charge Point has an interesting modular setup with their new Express plus charger that can go from 62.5kw up to 500kw, but I'm sure its $30k-$50K per stall.

I can't wait for the day when DCFC equipment is around $100 per KW.

I can't imagine that those EVgo 50kW stations that are randomly scattered around cities are much more than $10K each in a volume purchase.

The extent to which DC public chargers break suggest most buyers are very cost conscious.

Having slept on it, I think ~20kw is too close to 11kW AC, which is considerably less expensive to install.

You might want to bookmark this site: EV Charger, Solar Inverter & Energy Management - dcbel
They claim to be developing an all in one solution for solar, battery storage, and ev charging. When charging from the battery backup you can DC charge via chademo or CCS. I would be honestly shocked if Tesla didn't eventually produce an HPWC that could supercharge when paired with a powerwall.

Jalopnik article: This Home EV Charger Is Super Fast And Prepares Your Home For Power Loss
That is a very interesting item. Did they say when these would be available ?

It's likely not a real product., at least the DC fast charging part. The C rate needed to do really fast DC charging at home would require a very large battery pack. It would take three power wall to do only 11 kW AC charging. And those could not fill a Tesla.
Did you read the specs of the dcbel product? It's a 15kW DC charger with a 7.6kW V2H inverter, possibly increasing to 15kW with a future update. Nobody said it was an HPC that could fill a Tesla like a Supercharger or that it had any batteries of its own.

Exactly
Or that DC charging could not be fed from the grid, alone or in part.

I initially thought that up to 25 kW DC charging was supported but the spec sheet says 38 Amps DC output. I wonder what it takes to bump up that spec.
It's aiming to be a residential product. 64A AC and 38A DC. Those both work out to ~15kW. There's really not much point to scaling up the system because few people will be able to run it on a breaker over 80A (125% of 64A). Judging by their web site, they are really trying to sell it based on its smarts, not it's raw power output.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
It's aiming to be a residential product. 64A AC and 38A DC. Those both work out to ~15kW. There's really not much point to scaling up the system because few people will be able to run it on a breaker over 80A (125% of 64A). Judging by their web site, they are really trying to sell it based on its smarts, not it's raw power output.
Yeah, fair take. And it really may be a very attractive smart home product for the PV and EV endowed crowd.

But perhaps it would not take much to turn it into an attractive small business product that easily integrates PV and EV charging

Regarding EV power, what is the technical and practical feasibility that the box could combine PV, grid and battery for EV charging ?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
So... my thought is that in the future AC charging (in cars) will be discontinued and the cars will be DC charging only. Why put the AC charger in the vehicle... put the the AC to DC converter in the wall unit. And as such, lower KW DC chargers will become more prevalent. 10, 15, 20KW will be options. For the small town, perhaps 50KW to 100KW units backed by a power wall to even out the load so it can be driven by a lower KW power feed from grid.

Mike

• Disagree
So... my thought is that in the future AC charging (in cars) will be discontinued and the cars will be DC charging only. Why put the AC charger in the vehicle... put the the AC to DC converter in the wall unit. And as such, lower KW DC chargers will become more prevalent. 10, 15, 20KW will be options. For the small town, perhaps 50KW to 100KW units backed by a power wall to even out the load so it can be driven by a lower KW power feed from grid.

Mike

But then no access to simple receptacles.

Not necessarily, your “mobile” connector would just become the ac to dc converter, just like a laptop charger but bigger, like 50lbs bigger, because you have to up convert 120v to 350-800v.

The other problem is, if you leave your laptop charger at home, you can’t always use your buddy’s charger if he has a different style/brand laptop. I could see a similar issue with a “mini ccs” charger.

Reactions: SageBrush
Did you read the specs of the dcbel product? It's a 15kW DC charger with a 7.6kW V2H inverter, possibly increasing to 15kW with a future update. Nobody said it was an HPC that could fill a Tesla like a Supercharger or that it had any batteries of its own.
Why would I want to pay for a system to charge a Tesla at 15kW DC? Whats the use case?