Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With 8.0 I have to take over for auto pilot more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have to take over auto pilot more than I used to. Instead of trying to stay in the middle of a lane it likes to hug the left line, to the point where it drifts over the line at times. With opposing traffic in the lane to my left, hugging the right line would have been a better choice.

There are a couple of similar posts, with similar experiences. My experience is:
1) The lane/line recognition is more sensitive in v8 compared with v7.1.
2) On my drive where I really noticed the 'wandering' and poor AutoSteer (over the weekend) I noticed some VERY faint streaking on the windshield from the wipers. This kind of dirt on the windshield was not enough to throw things off in v7.1, but seems was enough to throw AutoSteer off in v8.
3) I stopped, and carefully cleaned the area over the camera with wipes, to make sure there was no streaking over the camera area.

Since then, the AutoSteer has returned to normal, and the car behaves properly. AutoSteer now feels the same as it did under v7.1, and the overall AP is better because of the longer range/better braking dynamic of the radar.

Try cleaning the camera area very well with wipes and see if this helps?

Reactions: mark.lawler
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

If you haven't changed to 8.0, DON'T!

If you have, raise hell!

I don't know why anyone would tolerate Tesla removing the autopilot capability they paid to have.

I now have to take over auto pilot more than I used to. Instead of trying to stay in the middle of a lane it likes to hug the left line, to the point where it drifts over the line at times. With opposing traffic in the lane to my left, hugging the right line would have been a better choice.
You know you are told first thing do not use Autopilot on roads without a center divider. I mean it's like the first line you read before you accept the disclaimer...
Is this why we can't have nice things?

You know you are told first thing do not use Autopilot on roads without a center divider. I mean it's like the first line you read before you accept the disclaimer...
Is this why we can't have nice things?

I think you are confusing the purpose of a disclaimer with the purpose of a usage guide. Do you abide or even read every disclaimer in your life?

The reason we can't have nice things is because people don't take responsibility for their actions and bring suit whenever something goes wrong. That is also why we have disclaimers.

Does the disclaimer mention road crests? They are the single most dangerous condition where AP can bite you, and yet every customer is basically left to figure that out individually.

When you say "need to intervene more," do you mean more because the car asks you to, or more because the car does things you have to correct?
I haven't had the car ask me to take over even when it should have. It often tries to take corners at too high a speed and leaves the roadway. I let it go as long as I dare to see if it recovers, but I usually have to tap the brake and take over. On 8.0 the car leaves it's lane even on relatively straight sections of road. It doesn't tell me to take over, but I must to avoid oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: u00mem9
I have the same problem on divided highways, only it hugs the right lane. When trying to gently steer to the center of the lane it has a very low threshold to abandon autosteer. Very annoying, and clearly a step back for my car. Previous version was nearly flawless.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
AP does less than stellar job with yellow lines compared to dashed to white lines. Don't know why though, but I have seen a few times it goes over yellow lines on the left, but has never done it with white dashed lines.

That is why I always go to the middle lane wherever possible and enjoy AP without complaining.

Of course I could be on the right lane and see it trying to take the exit and then automatically make corrections at the last minute, and then come here and complain incessantly. Instead I chose to enjoy AP in situations where it does best. Now with over 14K of the 15K miles I have driven so far were in AP.

Reactions: scottf200
AP does less than stellar job with yellow lines compared to dashed to white lines. Don't know why though, but I have seen a few times it goes over yellow lines on the left, but has never done it with white dashed lines.

Others here say that the Mobileye module only uses the red channel from its camera. Maybe that's it? I'd expect red-only image recognition to distinguish white more easily than yellow.

In RGB terms yellow has some red in it, often quite a lot. So red is probably the best choice available if processing has to be monochromatic. But yellow still won't show as clearly as pure red, or white. Maybe a future version of the hardware will see in color.

In my one case, where I decided to never use auto-steer again until things get fixed, the camera had a perfect view and the lines on screen were correct and yet the car drove over the left line and knew it did, as the car image showed it doing so.

I have to wonder if there is an incompatibility between the existing fleet learned tiles and 8.0. Otherwise, how can if fail so badly in staying in the center of the damn lane?

Possibilities include:

1. The said incompatibility.
2. New and buggy software replacing old tried-and-true code.
3. (Conspiracy theory) Intentional scary actions to keep us on our toes (and hands on the wheel.)

And as for the Mobileye camera, I seem to recall that it has a red channel and the other two have no filter and thus are grayscale with some IR sensitivity.

I must be an outlier, or lucky. AP in 8.0 does a noticeably better job of lane centering and not diving into trucks in the right lane when passing.

I am carefully testing v8 in a variety of situations, and offer the following comments: on the AutoSteer specifically:

1) During my daily drive/commute, v8 works very well. I never get the lane wandering. In fact it seems smoother than v7.1 as it does not wander/hunt during crossing of intersections where there are no/limited lines. It handles these better.

2) During other drives on roads that I'm driving for the first time, and especially when driving a 'road less travelled' I get the unexpected lane wandering reported by a number of folks (when the lane marking are good enough that v7.1 would have been able to steer just fine.)

I speculate that the data fusion engine for AutoSteer, which takes inputs from the radar, side sensors, camera line recognition and the Tesla high definition maps (fleet learning) is now placing more weight (and perhaps incorrectly) on the Tesla mapping, which is sometimes poor (few Teslas having driven the road) or in some cases wrong, which causes the AutoSteer to unexpectedly drive out of the lane.

Do these obeservation match what the rest of the group are seeing? Is the 'bad steering' occurring for anyone on the daily commute rote with good markings (where the Tesla maps are expected to be good) or can anyone else confirm that the driving is worse on new routes/less travelled routes where the Tesla maps could be expected to be poor?