Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With current Warranty restrictions is anyone thinking of buying used MS from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand Tesla is not into used car business but why then even bother with this, just sell new cars and then leave used cars to someone else (vroom)

They obviously know something about the business. They would not bother if they were not selling. They must be selling.

Sure, new cars have new features and a warranty. But $5-10k is a lot of money. Then higher taxes, higher insurance, etc.

They obviously know something about the business. They would not bother if they were not selling. They must be selling.

Sure, new cars have new features and a warranty. But $5-10k is a lot of money. Then higher taxes, higher insurance, etc.

I agree with you about the business.

But they are not selling.

Tesla does not sell many used cars if any.
Maybe few cars per day. And that`s it.
They sell daily less cars (nationwide) then our local KIA dealership.

I been following their used cars (im interested in) for months.
They start with high price ($60k) and then price goes down every day.
Once it reach certain number (lets say 47k) it stays there for 3-5 days and then disappear.
And you think its sold. Wrong.
it appears again after few weeks (starting with high price again) or you can find it selling @ Vroom website.

This means Tesla does not care if you buy that car from them or not, The are there just to keep resale price high and motivate new buyers to buy new.

I had recently conversation with Vroom representative asking him why MS is so expensive on their website (no warranty,no info about car features MU,High Fidelity audio...,no FSD...) and he said its because new ones are more then $100k. :)

Reactions: COS Blue
The problem is many people like my self don`t need FSD so paying 10k more for used car is waste.
Second thing 80% of this cars are AP 2.0 so to upgrade to AP 2.5 cost additional 2.5k.

Which brings total of $63k for used car - year 2017. Plus shipping and reservation cost.

Then we come to at least $ 65K.

And new car is just 4k more .

Then pay extra third party warranty 5K and we have 2017 car COSTING MORE then new one!

I understand Tesla is not into used car business but why then even bother with this, just sell new cars and then leave used cars to someone else (vroom)
Some care about FSD, others don't. Some care about the latest hardware, others don't. Some care about max performance (acceleration, top speed), others don't. Some care about max range, others may be fine with less than 250 miles, etc Tesla can be a decent choice for some types of used cars/configurations but not so much for others. It all depends on a buyer's wants, needs, and budget.

Tesla doesn't specifically break out used car sales from "services and other" (which had seen notable growth) but if they aren't actually generating decent revenue or profits from the used car business, they should get out. Used cars can be a good way to bring consumers into the Tesla family but if the program and buying experience is subpar, it can actually backfire and turn out to be a negative for the brand. I have to assume Tesla feels that used car sales are still nicely benefiting their bottom line/financial statements. Time will tell if that changes and they eventually decide to get out of the used biz.

The issue they have is that the true benefit from ordering from Tesla (extra warranty) has now been significantly nerfed. A private party sale offers these over a Tesla sale:
  • Pictures
  • No deposit needed
  • Ability to view / test drive the car in person before purchase
  • Get the vehicle's title in less than 3 months
Like most things without adequate competition, Tesla is resting on their "come and get it or not" laurels.

The issue they have is that the true benefit from ordering from Tesla (extra warranty) has now been significantly nerfed. A private party sale offers these over a Tesla sale:
  • Pictures
  • No deposit needed
  • Ability to view / test drive the car in person before purchase
  • Get the vehicle's title in less than 3 months
Like most things without adequate competition, Tesla is resting on their "come and get it or not" laurels.
You left out:
*Free Unlimited Supercharging for Life (if equipped)
*Free Premium Data for Life (if equipped)
*Much Quicker Response Time
*Own the Vehicle the Same Day
*Vehicle History & Knowledge Transfer
*Helping Local Seller Sell Car
*Not Rewarding the Bad Behavior that is Tesla Used Car Sales

To be fair and in the interest of full disclosure....
Potential Negatives:
*Open Yourself of for Scams
*Prolonged Account Transfer

There's probably more but those are off the top of my head.

Reactions: COS Blue
That can be slower when transferring the vehicle between private parties.

If done properly it should be just as quick now. (If the current owner logs into your account and fills out the new owner information correctly.)

Of course, that doesn't work for third-party dealers because they never register the car with Tesla so they don't have an account for them to transfer it with. (At least I haven't seen any dealers that do that.)

Yup, those are all true as well.

To be completely fair, at least the Tesla app works right away when leaving the SC after delivery. That can be slower when transferring the vehicle between private parties.

That's what I meant by "prolonged account transfer" in the list of potential cons to buying private. In all three used Model S we bought directly from Tesla I was able to use the app before we drove away. In both of the used Model S private party cars we bought the account transfer process took weeks and that was with knowing in advance what to do and what channels to go through. I've heard of horror stories of some buyers taking months. One of the Model S I sold this year was still on my account for over 6 months. I added them both as users per the (then) new option and explained that they would need to process their portion ASAP as Tesla often drug their feet on processing. Fast forward six months later and I was tired of getting update notifications of a car I no longer owned at all hours so I finally removed that car from my account. We're not in contact so I'm not sure they even noticed as they didn't even seem to know the features the app added, firmware updates or any of that jazz even though I explained all of the above to them fully at the time of purchase. I digress. The point is this can be a lengthy process when done private party and if you're driving cross country this can make certain aspects interesting.

If done properly it should be just as quick now. (If the current owner logs into your account and fills out the new owner information correctly.)

Of course, that doesn't work for third-party dealers because they never register the car with Tesla so they don't have an account for them to transfer it with. (At least I haven't seen any dealers that do that.)

As of when? Did Tesla change something within the past few months so that it actually works? I tried the "new" way with the last one we sold and over six months later it still appeared on our account. I didn't have contact with the buyer so I don't know what they were doing on their end but I made it clear the steps involved at the time of sale and even suggested she make an appointment with the DMV to get temp registration (Tesla won't accept a bill of sale, thankfully) to submit to Tesla as they handed me the deposit.

As of when? Did Tesla change something within the past few months so that it actually works? I tried the "new" way with the last one we sold and over six months later it still appeared on our account. I didn't have contact with the buyer so I don't know what they were doing on their end but I made it clear the steps involved at the time of sale and even suggested she make an appointment with the DMV to get temp registration (Tesla won't accept a bill of sale, thankfully) to submit to Tesla as they handed me the deposit.

I don't know when they changed it: Tesla Account Support

Can I remove or transfer a car from my Tesla Account?
Yes. You can either transfer the car directly to the new buyer’s Tesla Account or just remove it from yours – all from inside your Tesla Account. We recommend doing this after you’ve handed off your car. The transfer process cannot be undone once completed.

Follow these steps to remove or transfer ownership of your Tesla:

1. Log into your Tesla Account
  2. Select ‘Manage’ next to the car you’d like to transfer or remove
  3. Scroll down and select ‘Remove Car’
  4. Submit the new buyer’s information or select ‘Skip this Step’ if you’re unsure
  5. Open the email confirmation sent to your inbox and confirm the final transfer
Note: If you transferred directly to the new owner, they will also receive an email confirmation. If no Tesla Account is associated with their email address, they’ll receive a second email to complete their account set-up.

I do know people that have used this to remove a Tesla from their account, and it is removed immediately.

I don't know when they changed it: Tesla Account Support

I do know people that have used this to remove a Tesla from their account, and it is removed immediately.
The removal process isn't what's in question here. Every time I've removed one it's happened instantly. The adding process however (the more important aspect) can be ridiculously drawn out much like anything involving human input at Tesla.

The removal process isn't what's in question here. Every time I've removed one it's happened instantly. The adding process however (the more important aspect) can be ridiculously drawn out much like anything involving human input at Tesla.

I must be missing something...

I tried the "new" way with the last one we sold and over six months later it still appeared on our account.

I must be missing something...

It doesn't make sense because you're adding something I didn't say. I never said on the front end that I removed it from our account during this transaction so you're not missing anything and are in fact adding something. Reading it back though from that perspective I could see where that may be confusing.

I didn't delete it because I added them as users via my account so that they could access their new car via their app until Tesla could officially add it to their account for them. In our experience this process of adding a private party car to your account can be painfully slow so the band-aid fix was to give them access via our account so they could at least access the car. Once Tesla processed the transfer it would delete from our account and add to theirs just like it always has.

6 months later Tesla still hadn't officially removed the car from my account and added it to theirs. I manually went in and deleted it which I can only assume also deletes the permissions granted by adding them as users previously.

It doesn't make sense because you're adding something I didn't say. I never said on the front end that I removed it from our account during this transaction so you're not missing anything and are in fact adding something. Reading it back though from that perspective I could see where that may be confusing.

I didn't delete it because I added them as users via my account so that they could access their new car via their app until Tesla could officially add it to their account for them. In our experience this process of adding a private party car to your account can be painfully slow so the band-aid fix was to give them access via our account so they could at least access the car. Once Tesla processed the transfer it would delete from our account and add to theirs just like it always has.

6 months later Tesla still hadn't officially removed the car from my account and added it to theirs. I manually went in and deleted it which I can only assume also deletes the permissions granted by adding them as users previously.

OK, so you weren't using the new process, you were using a process to grant people permissions to a car you were keeping in your account. While I haven't tried it the Tesla site is pretty much saying that with the new process you can instantly transfer a car from one account to another without involving people at Tesla.

Have no idea where the OP suggested that you can't purchase the ESA on a used Tesla. AFAIK, these are available on both new and used; please correct me if otherwise.

Frankly, given the relatively low cost, I think it's a no-brainer choice to buy it as just one major repair can get you close to the cost of the warranty . . . and if you don't end up using it you can get a refund (i.e. you trade the car in, it's totalled, etc.):

Extended Service Agreement

OK, so you weren't using the new process, you were using a process to grant people permissions to a car you were keeping in your account. While I haven't tried it the Tesla site is pretty much saying that with the new process you can instantly transfer a car from one account to another without involving people at Tesla.

To me that's the "new process" as you weren't previously able to add authorized users to individual cars before this change which was pretty new at the time we sold the car. Around this same time they added a portal for new users to submit docs and what not to get their newly purchased private party car into their account which was previously all done manually via email.

As for the "new process" of account ownership transfer I'm curious to know how (and when) they automated this process to remove human approval as that seemingly was the hold-up. I'm also not sure how comfortable I am with computers approving government to transfer ownership of a car that may or may not have actually been transferred. Seems like a wonderful way to steel someone else's car.

I also am unaware of anyone I know getting private party sales to reflect on their Tesla account instantly so this would all be news to me if it was the case. I would certainly be willing to classify this as the "new process" if that is indeed how things work these days and it's MUCH better than adding someone as a user and then waiting weeks/months for the transfer to officially occur.

As for the "new process" of account ownership transfer I'm curious to know how (and when) they automated this process to remove human approval as that seemingly was the hold-up. I'm also not sure how comfortable I am with computers approving government to transfer ownership of a car that may or may not have actually been transferred. Seems like a wonderful way to steel someone else's car.

The new process doesn't involve the government at all. You log in to your account, you use 2FA right?, and submit a transfer request, which then sends you an email you have to approve. So as the owner you are approving the transfer of your vehicle. (Which could be just moving from your account to your wife's account with no changes in the title of the car.)

As far as using it to steal your car, if they have the ability to login to your Tesla account, and your email account, they can already steal your car... And they probably don't give one iota about app access.

The new process doesn't involve the government at all. You log in to your account, you use 2FA right?, and submit a transfer request, which then sends you an email you have to approve. So as the owner you are approving the transfer of your vehicle. (Which could be just moving from your account to your wife's account with no changes in the title of the car.)

Removing the car from your account also requires you to confirm via an email. Are you saying that they modified this so that I can not just "remove" the car when I sell it but I can also state who I sold it so that they also simultaneously receive access to the car on their account? That would be the change to the process because, previously, even when I deleted a car from my account (via web portal and email confirmation) they STILL had to prove they bought the car via submitting registration, insurance and DL to Tesla and wait for approval.

As far as using it to steal your car, if they have the ability to login to your Tesla account, and your email account, they can already steal your car... And they probably don't give one iota about app access.

My concern is that with the previous method they could prove ownership and assume access w/o the original owner's consent. So in a situation where the car was seized/repo'd or similar the previous "owner" couldn't intentionally deny authorization even though the new owner had every right in the eyes of the law to be in possession/ownership of the car. You can see where it should be of every Tesla owner's concern how Tesla handles this process specifically as it can be used for nefarious actions w/o the current (and legal) owner knowing. You can probably also see why they wanted official government documents that required the government to do the legwork of saying who the legal owner is rather than something simple and easily forged/faked like a bill of sale.

It sounds like maybe they've added a second way whereby a current owner can remove the car and confirm who the new owner is all in one action and thereby transfer Tesla account ownership. This makes perfect sense and should have been the way things went down years ago rather than the clunky method which was previously used. Again, I'm just going off of what you're saying here as I haven't experienced this myself first-hand to verify so my input is based on how the process exists is as you've explained.