Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With final specs revealed anyone putting a deposit on a Lucid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No deposit from me, Tesla kind of soured me on buying from the "new kid on the block". However I will wait until I can test drive it, and then might buy it if it has clear written guarantees, and of course I won't pay for any vaporware unless if comes with some major guarantees (e.g. we will extend the bumper to bumper coverage for at least 12 months after the complete feature is delivered, so you have some time to enjoy it) - Elon trained me well on why not buy vaporware. Maybe that was the Tesla plan, sour people on buying from any new, unproven competitors?

Realistically though, I will heavily lean towards existing automakers, Lucid will have to offer something really special for me to buy it over say an Audi eTron GT which should be available in similar time frame.

Full disclosure, I wouldn't put a deposit on any Tesla I cannot test drive either.

I didn't love the exterior of the Lucid. The interior was interesting with the bigger wrap around screen and the luxury feel that Tesla is missing.

My dog loves riding in the back of the S - we actually took him to the Tesla showroom back in the day and he helped picked the S. One look at that Lucid trunk was a deal breaker for anyone with a big dog.

I fear that any Tesla refresh of the Model S will ruin the sporty look. I cannot stand the front of the 3 or the Y, completely bland looking. And Tesla has stripped so many options off the S to reduce cost and complexity, I am not confident that any refreshed S would be worth buying. I definitely don't want to pay top dollar for a car with a mandatory glass roof and limited paint and interior colors.

Not going to knock any new competition - the more manufacturers out there the better for all of us and the planet.

I personally am not a fan of the styling, looks a bit like a peugeot to me, but I am sure as many people who don't will.

Tesla wins big on its super charger network and until the other manufacturers cotton on to the importance of the charging network they will have more of an uphill battle.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Given the choppy lines I wonder what the drag coefficient will be? So far none make motors as efficient as Teslas, and the battery architecture and durability remain to be determined.

I am too big of a coward and not financially endowed to a degree that I could become a beta tester for Lucid.
At least when MS came out Tesla had experience from the Roadster.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
Given the choppy lines I wonder what the drag coefficient will be? So far none make motors as efficient as Teslas, and the battery architecture and durability remain to be determined.

Lucid’s Air coefficient is great and their motors efficient- big reasons why they get 517 miles out of a 113kWh pack.

Lucid may end up having their own BatteryGate like Tesla, but Lucid does have battery pack experience with Formula E. Add in Rawlinson and other Lucid leadership experience with the Model S, and I don’t see it terribly different than Tesla introducing the S. They wouldn’t surpass Tesla’s current technology with their first model without having the technological expertise

I'm sorry - they chose the Electrify America charging network??? It is awful - I have personal experience. My next vehicle will be the Tesla Cybertruck - that is a vehicle that was made for me. Even if I had the money I wouldn't buy the Lucid Air.

Brent

No deposit from me, Tesla kind of soured me on buying from the "new kid on the block". However I will wait until I can test drive it, and then might buy it if it has clear written guarantees, and of course I won't pay for any vaporware unless if comes with some major guarantees (e.g. we will extend the bumper to bumper coverage for at least 12 months after the complete feature is delivered, so you have some time to enjoy it) - Elon trained me well on why not buy vaporware. Maybe that was the Tesla plan, sour people on buying from any new, unproven competitors?

Realistically though, I will heavily lean towards existing automakers, Lucid will have to offer something really special for me to buy it over say an Audi eTron GT which should be available in similar time frame.

Full disclosure, I wouldn't put a deposit on any Tesla I cannot test drive either.
vaporware? Whaaaat? No! Not from Tesla!
Have you been unhappy with your full self driving option? That’s been on sale since 2017
Has your Tesla not appreciated in value?

Sorry but my take is highly negative on Lucid - starting with the presentation, it was *very* fluffy with lots of marketing and jargonny buzzwords but little or rather no specifics/ details on the actual devices/ technical advances. Look at Warren Redlich reaction video,
Rawlinson also looks weird (high on some drug?) in that video - wouldn't buy a used car from him for sure, much less a not-yet-here car.

Sorry but my take is highly negative on Lucid - starting with the presentation, it was *very* fluffy with lots of marketing and jargonny buzzwords but little or rather no specifics/ details on the actual devices/ technical advances. Look at Warren Redlich reaction video,
Rawlinson also looks weird (high on some drug?) in that video - wouldn't buy a used car from him for sure, much less a not-yet-here car.
To be fair, it was no different than anything Tesla or other manufacturers put out. They’re not going to release proprietary info. They’ve built on their history to do what’s been done, but better.

To suggest fraud is revealing of motive. They weren’t running a kit car during 9.9 or range testing.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Brando and Jabbahop
vaporware? Whaaaat? No! Not from Tesla!
Have you been unhappy with your full self driving option? That’s been on sale since 2017
Has your Tesla not appreciated in value?
According to Elon all Teslas are appreciating, with any FSD equipped car value approaching or exceeding $200K by end of 2020. Unfortunately the Tesla leasing and trade-in departments did not get the memo from Elon on the appreciating values of Teslas - if they did, Tesla leases would pay you money every month as your residual value would be higher than the purchase price. :p

Plan on waiting to see what the refreshed/redesigned Model S will be but the Lucid specs are pretty impressive. The only metric that the current Model S Performance has on the Lucid is 0-60. Just wondering if anyone is planning on getting a Lucid? At that price point it is far more expensive than a loaded Model S but I'm assuming the plaid Model S will creep close to the150K but Lucid does have the tax credit to entice buyers too. Regardless, glad another from the ground up EV company is at least pushing the envelope rather than most of the other ICE Manufacturers half hearted attempts at building EVs.

I also am not holding out hope for one of the traditional car companies to do a ground-breaking EV. Like turtles trying to decide if it is safe to stick their heads out of their shells. Take the E-Mustang for example - performance is incredibly anemic and the range is short. What a milquetoast effort.

To answer the question - stuck between a Model S or a Lucid Touring.

Before COVID I was ready to pull the trigger on a Model S. And we still need to bring another car into the family. But the Executive Summary is that decision is iced (no pun intended) until COVID is in the rearview mirror. I'm pretty hopeful that will be in less than six months, between herd immunity and several vaccine candidates in late stage trials.

I'm a little disappointed the Touring did not have the 517 mile range. Going for the 517 mile Gran Touring at $140K is just not going to happen.

It will be interesting to see the Tesla response. Lucid not only gave Tesla a technological slap in the face, but a kick in the shins too. 15% or so more miles distance per watt hour. And smaller lighter motors. Ouch.

I suspect Tesla knew all along Lucid had some very fresh battery and drive tech coming, and that was the real reason Battery Delay was pushed back nearly six months. (COVID was just the excuse, Tesla could have switched to a virtual Battery Day on short notice.) So I am expecting a big day from Elon.

As it is today, the choice between the S LR and the Touring is hard. Both 400 mile range. Touring has much faster charge times for when I can not charge at home. That is huge. Model S is proven and has the charge network. And free charging to take the sting out of waiting around a SC station drinking $6 sugary coffees.

S hatchback a lot more versatile for hauling stuff, but we will always have an ICE SUV for that. Touring has a much nicer leather interior.

It should be an interesting 3-6 months ...

I am too big of a coward and not financially endowed to a degree that I could become a beta tester for Lucid.
This Rawlins guy worked on Model S (perhaps) also worked at Lotus and Jag. 7 years now and a few prototypes built and ready for next step - Engineering Prototypes (testing) and then on to Validation Prototypes to validate the manufacturing equipment. Slow and steady (like Blue Origin?)

I like this evaluation of Lucid - Fraud ?? by Warren

• Disagree
Reactions: teslasuperfan
This Rawlins guy worked on Model S (perhaps) also worked at Lotus and Jag. 7 years now and a few prototypes built and ready for next step - Engineering Prototypes (testing) and then on to Validation Prototypes to validate the manufacturing equipment. Slow and steady (like Blue Origin?)

I like this evaluation of Lucid - Fraud ?? by Warren

Do your own research before parroting some uninformed dude's YouTube video.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando

after 7 years since Rawlins left Tesla and started up Lucid, the factory yet to be built.
Elon mentions Rawlins didn't do much. Rawlins claims he did the suspension of Model S.
Tesla seems to be building 3 factories - each just under a year. China, Germany, Texas.
https://www.lucidmotors.com/stories/lucids-arizona-factory-continues-take-shape/
And they don't shows us anything inside the factory.
I agree with Warren's assessments on the BS meter.
Obviously you are all adults and can come to your own conclusions.
AND you can decide NOT to watch or only watch Lucid video clips.

Not sure what you have found.

We shall see come summer of 2021.
And we just how many Lucid vehicles they manage to actually make, if any.
Perhaps they will show us more of the Lucid offices in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLK350
after 7 years since Rawlins left Tesla and started up Lucid, the factory yet to be built.
Elon mentions Rawlins didn't do much. Rawlins claims he did the suspension of Model S.
Tesla seems to be building 3 factories - each just under a year. China, Germany, Texas.
https://www.lucidmotors.com/stories/lucids-arizona-factory-continues-take-shape/
And they don't shows us anything inside the factory.
I agree with Warren's assessments on the BS meter.
Obviously you are all adults and can come to your own conclusions.
AND you can decide NOT to watch or only watch Lucid video clips.

Not sure what you have found.

We shall see come summer of 2021.
And we just how many Lucid vehicles they manage to actually make, if any.
Perhaps they will show us more of the Lucid offices in the Bay Area.
Of course Tesla is older and more established, so of course they will have more factories. Did you really expect a new company to start out with multiple factories spread across the continents?

Hopefully Lucid has less delays than Tesla's first 4 models (Roadster, S, X, 3). Also hoping they don't play the vaporware game like Elon does (I am still waiting for that SDK to write apps for MCU, which was "just around the corner" in 2013 for example). Tesla needs competition in EV market to push them to do better.

Last edited: