Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With final specs revealed anyone putting a deposit on a Lucid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do your own research before parroting some uninformed dude's YouTube video.
I quoted Warren Redlich's video because he took the trouble to summarize precisely my own impressions.

As to doing my own research, I tried - couldn't find anything besides Lucid sponsored materials/ videos.

Happy to revise my subjective assessments if anyone can point me to any publicly available third party evaluation or even attendance where questions were answered.

I do applaud any effort towards EV's becoming more popular, at any level. Lucid to me belongs to the area of "nice possible prototypes". As I stated, it doesn't pass the sniff test for me*.

There are ALREADY some much more concrete/ believable/ in production new EV's, from Jaguar, Porsche and Volvo/ Polestar.

(*) Sniff test: besides subjective assessment of presentations, two points

1- Elon's quick polite corrective tweet
upload_2020-9-14_10-5-17.png

2 - And some distaste/ questioning re the Saudis oligarchy funding Lucid - if they wanted to diversity or make profitable investments, why not just be Tesla shareholders? they also have tons of sunny areas to use for solar power.

Sorry but my take is highly negative on Lucid - starting with the presentation, it was *very* fluffy with lots of marketing and jargonny buzzwords but little or rather no specifics/ details on the actual devices/ technical advances. Look at Warren Redlich reaction video,
Rawlinson also looks weird (high on some drug?) in that video - wouldn't buy a used car from him for sure, much less a not-yet-here car.

That video doesn't make any sound arguments for Lucid being a fraud. We can see the Lucid prototypes running around here in the Bay Area, so I don't think they are a fraud. They could still fail; after all, they haven't gone through manufacturing hell yet, but it'll be a conventional startup failure not a fraud. Lucid is at the same stage Tesla was at in late 2011.

I quoted Warren Redlich's video because he took the trouble to summarize precisely my own impressions.

As to doing my own research, I tried - couldn't find anything besides Lucid sponsored materials/ videos.

Happy to revise my subjective assessments if anyone can point me to any publicly available third party evaluation or even attendance where questions were answered.

I do applaud any effort towards EV's becoming more popular, at any level. Lucid to me belongs to the area of "nice possible prototypes". As I stated, it doesn't pass the sniff test for me*.

There are ALREADY some much more concrete/ believable/ in production new EV's, from Jaguar, Porsche and Volvo/ Polestar.

(*) Sniff test: besides subjective assessment of presentations, two points

1- Elon's quick polite corrective tweet View attachment 588033

2 - And some distaste/ questioning re the Saudis oligarchy funding Lucid - if they wanted to diversity or make profitable investments, why not just be Tesla shareholders? they also have tons of sunny areas to use for solar power.
Redlich’s video is lacking in research and critical thinking.

Lucid has a 3rd Party test that estimated EPA ratings. Several journalists that have accompanied/witnessed driving tests. Even making beta EV prototypes that can go 9.3 in a quarter mile means they’re not a fraud. Did you and Warren forget the reveal was focused on high end, low volume cars? They’re not claiming they have $35k mass production EVs that go 517 or 9.9.

Redlich readily accepts Tesla achieving FSD into his evaluation of Tesla, despite the evidence amounting to Tweets from Musk driving an alpha version of the rewrite. Where’s his “show me” video about his Tesla moats? That’s all you to know about Redlich’s authority on this.

My biggest thing about lucid is that I can't trust their software technology. Yes the range and performance is impressive but if Tesla is gathering data from all their cars and way ahead on full self-driving it might be just a company I wouldn't be interested in buying from versus Tesla. But that is largely the status of most manufacturers right now versus Tesla and not everyone values the self-driving aspects as much when making a purchase and we don't really know how good the current sensors will be for Tesla with the updates.

That video doesn't make any sound arguments for Lucid being a fraud. We can see the Lucid prototypes running around here in the Bay Area, so I don't think they are a fraud. They could still fail; after all, they haven't gone through manufacturing hell yet, but it'll be a conventional startup failure not a fraud. Lucid is at the same stage Tesla was at in late 2011.

Maybe they were mistaking Lucid with Nikola lol