Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

with friends like these... Steve Jurvetson can't imagine having to charge a watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was listening to Steve Jurvetson today on Studio 1.0 with Emily Chang. During the interview he criticized Apple and gave the example of the Apple watch as an idea that wasn't so good.

But what made me almost fall out of my chair was this statement: He couldn't wear an Apple watch because of the "charging issue", and he just couldn't imagine having to charge his watch daily.

Did anybody else think that was shocking?

It is at the 3:30 mark in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWM45zfmrrk

I guess I can understand since watches normally don't require charging. My problem with the Apple Watch is the fact that my phone also has to be on me. I'd hoped for a stand-alone device I could wear while biking, horseriding, etc. that would allow me to leave my phone behind. Still waiting

I guess I can understand since watches normally don't require charging. My problem with the Apple Watch is the fact that my phone also has to be on me. I'd hoped for a stand-alone device I could wear while biking, horseriding, etc. that would allow me to leave my phone behind. Still waiting

True, but cars don't normally require charging, and Steve wants us to accept charging as a requirement. He basically said charging is a hassle! Not words I would expect to hear from him, as a proponent of electric cars!!

Off topic but...I actually wear mine to sleep even. I charge it for about 2 hours when I get home in the evening (while eating dinner, showering, bathing the kids, etc.) then I put it back on before I go to bed. That little charge usually gives it enough for the full day. It's always 100% when I slap it on my wrist before bed.

And if i need a little extra, I might charge it while I get ready for work in the AM, but thats rarely needed. So it's really a non-issue for me. Sure I'd love it if I didn't need to charge at all (or much less frequently), but I'd prefer real water-resistance over more battery life personally.

I love the silent alarm, great for when u have to wake earlier than your spouse.

i use it for lots, not just messaging. Setting my house alarm, tracking workouts, even turning off lights via Wink.

True, but cars don't normally require charging, and Steve wants us to accept charging as a requirement. He basically said charging is a hassle! Not words I would expect to hear from him, as a proponent of electric cars!!

They require "charging," just with fuel. How many watches do you own that need to be "charged" weekly...monthly...daily?

If an ICE needed to be "charged" every 5 years...then I could see a point for comparison, as it is though....not so much.

with friends like these... Steve Jurvetson can't imagine having to charge a ...

Yes I watched that Jurvetson interview a few weeks ago and was amused by his view that having to charge an Apple Watch every day was a huge negative, but having to plug in his car was not.
I charge my Apple Watch in the evening. I take it off before taking a shower, and put it on again in about an hour or before I go to bed. No big deal. Yes, I wear it all night because I use it as a wake up alarm (greatest alarm ever, it just taps you on the wrist, you wake up instantly, but no noise so my spouse doesn't wake up). I find my Apple Watch lasts more than a full day on a single charge.

My wife and I both have Apple Watches--mine since day 1, hers about a month later. Using it from 0600-2200 we never get below about 40% charge. Just charge it up overnight (just like our Ses). In the very rare event it goes below 20%, a quick 10-20 minutes on the charger adds a lot. As far as usefulness, I really like it as an efficiency tool and a 'social interaction improvement' tool. Instead of pulling out your iPhone 50+ times a day to check on an e-mail or text or to see who is calling, just glance at your Apple Watch and move on. It has some handy 'hands free' functionality through Siri--very useful when driving. Allen Wong wrote Remote S for iPhone but also Apple Watch, and the Apple Watch app is really spectacular--more useful than the native TM app. Yes, I could live without my Apple Watch (...not without my iPhone), but really enjoy having it. YMMV.

Overnight BEV charging replaces weekly liquid refueling at gas stations. A better solution.

Charging an Apple Watch, for me, would be replacing a mechanical wrist watch that never needs to be charged or refueled. Not even a battery replacement. Nor needs to be taken off for swimming,showering, biking or anything. An inferior solution.

Smart phone, lap top,and mechanical wrist watch is all that is needed.

Rob, by "mechanical" do you mean a motion-powered mechanical watch movement?
How amusingly retro [emoji6]
The Apple Watch does not need to be removed for any of the activities you listed (Tim Cook wears his in the shower, he says). It charges from almost zero to full in less than an hour. And of course it has a orders of magnitude more functionality than a traditional watch and is always accessible on your wrist as compared to a smartphone. But if you are happy with your mechanical watch, that's great.

I'm with him. I went from a Nike Fuelband (needs about an hour charge once every 2 weeks or so -- and can be done via any powered USB port) to a MS Band 2 which, like the Apple Watch, requires a daily charge. I use it for sleep tracking too, so it's not like I can charge overnight. It uses a proprietary connector, so I can't simply charge it at my computer (without buying extra cables). Also unlike the fuelband, I can't wear it in the shower -- which I guess is a plus since it's one of the consistent times I can grab a charge.

Battery tech in small devices really needs a leap.