Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so many quality issues after delivery - how many people are actually happy with their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We love our Model Y! Two minor adjustments after we got it home. Panel gaps, paint, interior, trim, ride, handling, lack of noise. All good. VIN in the 11000‘s.
A9B9D533-6E4D-4BDF-8822-6E4B0895AA23.jpeg

Blue MY black interior, 19" wheels, AWD LR FSD, hitch. VIN 11xxx. Build 6/8. Picked up in Rockville on 6/25. They confirmed that they had prepped and checked out the car and had not encountered issues. That's what the $1125 destination fee is for. I checked everything as well. Found no issues other than battery was only half full.
Came with tire repair kit.
Tesla app and premier connectivity took a couple of hours.
Single pedal driving is fun.
FSD required 15 miles of driving to calibrate cameras.
Software version 2020.20.12 requires driver confirmation at lights.
Did first super charge today.

Attachments

• 0_20200627_163628.jpg
    0_20200627_163628.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 66
The service tech texted me on Friday that they've addressed most of the delivery issues I had except they have to order a new hood for me because they determined that the hood was warped and needed replacement to fix the panel gap and slight deformity I pointed out from my delivery inspection. I'm going to find out more on Monday when I'm scheduled to pick up the car again. I'm very pleased with the service and can't wait to get it back.

My only concern is that in replacing the hood, I'm guessing it'll come fully, factory painted? I'm less enthused if it's going to get replaced and then painted by a third party body shop, as it will probably lead to more issues with paint color matching?

The service tech texted me on Friday that they've addressed most of the delivery issues I had except they have to order a new hood for me because they determined that the hood was warped and needed replacement to fix the panel gap and slight deformity I pointed out from my delivery inspection. I'm going to find out more on Monday when I'm scheduled to pick up the car again. I'm very pleased with the service and can't wait to get it back.

My only concern is that in replacing the hood, I'm guessing it'll come fully, factory painted? I'm less enthused if it's going to get replaced and then painted by a third party body shop, as it will probably lead to more issues with paint color matching?

It's always risky when painting a single panel and hope that it matches the rest of the car. However, Tesla body shops tend to be first rate, and a competent body shop should be able to do a great job. Most similar reports here seem to be positive.

Picked up my Blue/black, LR, FSD, 20" wheels, vin 12xxx today. Ordered on 5/1.

In short, we are ecstatic, even with the delivery experience that i describe below.

I had to do an abbreviated walk through, but did not see anything terrible. The paint looks good, but i will go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow. There is the standard off center rear hatch as well as the uneven back seats. I will be taking pictures and making an appointment to have them fix those and any other issues i find tomorrow.

As for the "touchless delivery" or whatever they are calling it, i was underwhelmed at best with the service. We had to sign papers. There is apparently nowhere inside the SC where we are allowed to go to "close the deal". One of the employees shooed us out of the one area with a table (1 foot from the door) a couple of times. He said to sign papers in our car. Meanwhile they are falling all over the ground. I told him that for a $60K car, i would be signing papers on the table. Absolutely terribly disorganized and not necessary.

We had to wait for quite a while as they aligned our rear hatch (i think it is worse!). Then the guy says, "I can take your papers and payment if you like" and we were on our way. Nobody even confirmed if we payed correctly or completely. Our last 2 cars have been Mercedes so I can say with conviction that the service is the opposite of Mercedes.

I will say that leading up to delivery, i had great service, via email, with the sales guy.

Once on the road, i realized why we bought the car. It is just really fun to drive. It is very zippy, and handles well, especially compared to the larger SUVs we have been driving. The autopilot calibrated quickly and was fin to use. It will take some getting used to. On a couple of lane merges, the car seemed to be thinking about which way to go as the lines were not marked that well. It slowed to a crawl, but figured it out and then accelerated. It also tried to exit from the express lanes to the local lanes going 70 which was dicey and one of the only times i used the brakes. One footed driving is great.

And no gas stations. It seems like all i do is fill up our cars with gas.

I am still trying to get a handle on all of the bells and whistles - there are a lot. I ordered the homelink to integrate with our garage doors. Not sure why that is not included at this price point.

In closing, we are super excited to have purchased the car. Don't wait!

An update on my Tesla delivery and now 1st service experience....

My car was in good shape when I took delivery so maybe I was lucky, but it did have some issues. I put in a service request to
1. align the rear hatch
2. align the tail lights (minor misalignment)
3. fix front panels that seemed squished at the points where they meet the bumper (minor misalignment)
4. fix the misaligned rear passenger side seat.

My appt was for 8:15 AM. I met a service rep who went through things with me. He gave me an old Model S loaner (95K miles) which I appreciated.

For 2 and 3, he said that was as good as it was going to get. Whatever.

They "aligned" the rear seats. Instead of them all being equal height, the middle seat is slightly lower, but they are symmetric. That met my acceptance criteria.

They aligned the rear hatch. Now it is perfectly aligned. The tail lights are not flush, but they are symmetrically not flush with a minor offset. This is annoying, but I am willing to live with it.

However, in aligning the hatch, it looks like they had to remove the right rear tail light. If you look very closely or rub your finger along the top of the tail light, it looks like they used pliers to pull it out as the top is roughed up. You cannot see it unless you really look, but it is annoying.

Also, when i got the car back, i noticed a slight scratch on top of the drivers front fender, like someone dropped something on the car. I cannot prove it happened at the service appt so i am letting it go for now. Very annoying though. This made me look very closely at the paint elsewhere on the car. If i look very closely at the paint, i do see a few dirt specs here and there, but I am going to let this issue go as i am resigned to the fact that Tesla Model Ys (maybe all Teslas) have crappy paint jobs. My paint looks good unless you look really closely in the right light.

Regarding the service, they kept me informed via text which is fine. However, they started working on my car at like 4:00 so there was no way i was going to get it back until the next day. The loaner made that OK, but why have an 8:15 appt if you are not going to start until 4? Also, i got my car back unwashed. This is a nit, but is standard practice at many service centers (Mercedes, Lexus for sure and probably others). My neighbor said they did not wash it because they did not want the paint to run - funny.

Finally, when i was picking up my car, i saw a new owner with a car like mine (blue/black). He had a checklist and was going through his car with a fine tooth comb. As i left, it looked like he was giving the delivery rep the business. Hopefully ended up happy with his car.

On an unrelated note, I was reminded today about my growing annoyance with ICE cars. I had to fill up my wife's Mercedes with premium - $71. Ouch. No more of that pain. Also, when I got home, i got the message that we are due for the Schedule B service. This is ~$800 to Mercedes and of course they usually find a few extra things to fix so i plan for ~$1K. At least they will wash the car!

My take away from my 1st week or so of ownership is, the Model Y is a car with great technology that is going through standard Tesla growing pains. I am willing to live with the less than "industry standard" fit and finish because the driving experience is really cool. If you want the fit and finish found on non-Tesla cars, i would wait it out until Tesla fixes their quality or just move on to another brand. My family is glad we made the purchase.

Great delivery experience in Portland. White/Blk 20" FSD. Staff was so helpful and car is awesome. I took the checklist and there were just a few minor things. After going over that list, I am now aware of little things when looking at other vehicles/manufacturers and notice minor gaps and alignment issues everywhere. I guess I never even thought to look before.

Honestly, I found the purchase experience so much better than the traditional dealerships. Don't miss the long perforated papers to sign and the upselling on warranties.

Reactions: empiredown

I got the parts order for my new hood. It's described in the order as "MY HOOD ASY MIDNIGHT SILVER" so I guess that means it's coming factory painted. We'll see how close the matching is, but I'm going to wrap/coat it anyway, so the PPF/coating will hopefully mask any small imperfections.

Got my Y back yesterday and they were able to resolve 7 of the 10 issues I had on delivery. 2 of the remaining 3 issues are waiting on replacement parts and the last issue (rear seat back alignment) is recognized as a problem, but they don't have a fix for it yet, according to the tech. The replacement hood and A-pillar trim parts are going to take a while to come in though. Tech assured me the replacement hood will be a swap out replacement - no body shop/repaint work needed. He also said they just don't have any available yet because production is still so new. I'm fine with that since it's been documented in the service records that it's waiting on parts.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I already posted about our new Y, but just an update. It had one problem that I wanted fix, but wasn't a deal breaker: the furthest forward point of the front right fender stuck out noticeably. I really just wanted to make sure they acknowledged it, because the fender definitely rubbed the bumper a little bit, so I was worried it might rub or chip paint off eventually. But they said they could fix it, so we let them try.

Just picked our Y back up from service, and it's fixed. Dropped it off at end of day yesterday, it was ready this morning, and they filled up the charge for us too. Before and after pictures below. I officially have zero concerns about our Y.

There are some swirls, but it's going to the detailer for paint correction, PPF, ceramic next week anyway.

37579414-AB53-484C-BE64-385740622F81.jpeg
82344002-CD99-4958-B007-D5FE5BE3E72C.jpeg

I already posted about our new Y, but just an update. It had one problem that I wanted fix, but wasn't a deal breaker: the furthest forward point of the front right fender stuck out noticeably. I really just wanted to make sure they acknowledged it, because the fender definitely rubbed the bumper a little bit, so I was worried it might rub or chip paint off eventually. But they said they could fix it, so we let them try.

Just picked our Y back up from service, and it's fixed. Dropped it off at end of day yesterday, it was ready this morning, and they filled up the charge for us too. Before and after pictures below. I officially have zero concerns about our Y.

There are some swirls, but it's going to the detailer for paint correction, PPF, ceramic next week anyway.

View attachment 559797 View attachment 559798
Nice to see them fix that. Did they replace anything or was it just and adjustment?

Who do you guys contact for support? I received my Y on Monday 6/29 and after I got home I noticed a ding and the window gasket on drivers side door not on correctly. Also having issues with Bluetooth phone calls not working (although music does) and all audio completely cutting out even turn signals. I made a service appointment but its not till July 10th. I've tried to call service centers near me and get nothing but endless automated messages or no answer and full voicemail box. I would like to make sure these things can get fixed before my 7 day return period.

View attachment 559797 View attachment 559798

I had that issue with the “points” as well, but mine look like the lesser of the 2. The SC said they could not fix it. Maybe I need to ask again when they install my homelink.

I had that issue with the “points” as well, but mine look like the lesser of the 2. The SC said they could not fix it. Maybe I need to ask again when they install my homelink.
I've got them coming a week from Monday to install my Homelink. I've added the "points" to the service ticket. I'll let you know what they say. On my car, the driver's side is perfect, but the other side sticks out.

Who do you guys contact for support? I received my Y on Monday 6/29 and after I got home I noticed a ding and the window gasket on drivers side door not on correctly. Also having issues with Bluetooth phone calls not working (although music does) and all audio completely cutting out even turn signals. I made a service appointment but its not till July 10th. I've tried to call service centers near me and get nothing but endless automated messages or no answer and full voicemail box. I would like to make sure these things can get fixed before my 7 day return period.

I had to go to the service center letting them know I was there to return it (which I was because my appt was after the 7 day window). They tried to get someone to look at it right away, but since they were slammed, squeezed me in to the next morning. Unfortunately they took longer with it than anticipated so my 7 days is coming up tomorrow and I’m out of town. If you’re not too far from a SC maybe worth going in-person?

Dealing with paint after delivery really sucks and I hope Tesla improves that. Of course most people don't have issues, or at least anything the average person would notice. The haters of the world would have you believe that every Tesla off the line needs to be repainted. Obviously that is false.

My own car looked near perfect to me. My detailer said he found a few small issues and was able to fix them prior to ceramic. Just more reason to embrace the Cybertruck.

Dealing with paint after delivery really sucks and I hope Tesla improves that. Of course most people don't have issues, or at least anything the average person would notice. The haters of the world would have you believe that every Tesla off the line needs to be repainted. Obviously that is false.

My own car looked near perfect to me. My detailer said he found a few small issues and was able to fix them prior to ceramic. Just more reason to embrace the Cybertruck.

yah. After almost 4 months of detailing I’m still to find a defect in our March 2020 build. I’m sure there are issues but our car has been almost flawless except for a dash squeak which was an easy fix for a Tesla ranger.