Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so many quality issues after delivery - how many people are actually happy with their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps it's time to consider return or cancel standing orders, here are a few reasons I can think of:
+ Build quality is sh....t, and worse, they'll make you pay for fixing it,
+ Gas price is still going down, toward negative territory,
+ charging cost is going sky high, $0.32/KW, and time limit.
+ Supercharger congestion is getting worse, the lines are getting longer.
+ Maintenance and service cost is sky-high (how long do the tires last?)

When gas price turns negative let me know.... I don’t have a practical use for gasoline, but hell i’d take some if they were paying me to take it....

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I recently refused delivery of a Model Y because of quality issues. Here's my take:
  • I don't regret refusing delivery and I don't think I had unreasonable standards.
  • I think Tesla has figured out that many (most?) customers will accept their cars as-is, so there is efficiency in putting them out there will less quality control on cosmetic issues.
  • However, from posts/photos I've seen, it looks like plenty of MY's are in great shape and their owners are probably loving them.
So, I requested and new VIN and I'm crossing my fingers it's in better shape.

Really going to change any minds though? It's a losing battle - bet on the future or be left behind...

Tesla and other EVs are the future, and future is now. However, thats just it. They are the future and the future is now. As a consumer of their products you can jump on at any time. Its not like they are doing a limited run and leaving town, its not like if you dont grab one now you will never grab one.

I am getting MY because my ICE is getting old, I want an EV, Tesla happens to be the best right now, so thats why Im getting Tesla. I have zero brand loyalty to anything for anything, be it phones, CPUs, cars, shoes, whatever.. I get what I deem to be the best at the point when I am buying it. If a competitor outshines Tesla tomorrow, Ill cancel my Tesla and go get that instead. I dont give two shits about Elon/Tesla, just like Tesla/Elon dont give a *sugar* about any of us. Its a business relationship, we have the money, they have the product. Thats it.

So, its fine for ICE drivers to wait, by waiting they will end up getting a better EV later, with issues we are dealing with today worked out, most likely lower prices (due to abundance of used EVs and also other manufacturers switching to them and creating competition, better batteries, and myriad of other reasons). Sidebar: I still dont know why Tesla doesnt intergrate a small strip of Solar into the car somewhere, even being tiny, being parked in hot parking lots all day long surely will recharge a few miles off the sun over the course of a week or maybe even less that that? Most importantly it would make it so that if you are stranded in the desert, you can go a few days with no water/food while your car gets some juice and you can hopefully get out of there.

So if they have a car they are perfectly happy driving, then let them, some day that car will break and they'll get an EV (because that is all that will be on the market at some point). no need to rush and go out buy one now.

Most of us here are early adopters, and early adopters hardly ever win over people that pick up the product later. So lets drop the herd mentality and let people drive whatever they want to drive. And lets stop pretending like there are no fun ICEs out there. Sure a Model S will beat a Lambo, but Lambo is still fun as freaking hell. Same applies to Porche, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and others.

To be honest I am a little tired of people looking down upon ICE drivers. Dont worry they'll get an EV eventually. But giving up a $60-100k ICE just to drive an EV while their ICE is perfectly fine and they are happy with it, is not a smart thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla and other EVs are the future, and future is now. However, thats just it. They are the future and the future is now. As a consumer of their products you can jump on at any time. Its not like they are doing a limited run and leaving town, its not like if you dont grab one now you will never grab one.

I am getting MY because my ICE is getting old, I want an EV, Tesla happens to be the best right now, so thats why Im getting Tesla. I have zero brand loyalty to anything for anything, be it phones, CPUs, cars, shoes, whatever.. I get what I deem to be the best at the point when I am buying it. If a competitor outshines Tesla tomorrow, Ill cancel my Tesla and go get that instead. I dont give two shits about Elon/Tesla, just like Tesla/Elon dont give a *sugar* about any of us. Its a business relationship, we have the money, they have the product. Thats it.

So, its fine for ICE drivers to wait, by waiting they will end up getting a better EV later, with issues we are dealing with today worked out, most likely lower prices (due to abundance of used EVs and also other manufacturers switching to them and creating competition, better batteries, and myriad of other reasons). Sidebar: I still dont know why Tesla doesnt intergrate a small strip of Solar into the car somewhere, even being tiny, being parked in hot parking lots all day long surely will recharge a few miles off the sun over the course of a week or maybe even less that that? Most importantly it would make it so that if you are stranded in the desert, you can go a few days with no water/food while your car gets some juice and you can hopefully get out of there.

So if they have a car they are perfectly happy driving, then let them, some day that car will break and they'll get an EV (because that is all that will be on the market at some point). no need to rush and go out buy one now.

Most of us here are early adopters, and early adopters hardly ever win over people that pick up the product later. So lets drop the herd mentality and let people drive whatever they want to drive. And lets stop pretending like there are no fun ICEs out there. Sure a Model S will beat a Lambo, but Lambo is still fun as freaking hell. Same applies to Porche, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and others.

To be honest I am a little tired of people looking down upon ICE drivers. Dont worry they'll get an EV eventually. But giving up a $60-100k ICE just to drive an EV while their ICE is perfectly fine and they are happy with it, is not a smart thing to do.

I have no qualms with ICE owners/buyers, although I do feel disgust when I see a soccer mom driving an urban assault vehicle with temp. plates. But even in that case, there may very well be good reasons for such a purchase, no matter how distasteful it may seem.

The issue here is the post in question - filled with such trite, unsupported garbage it calls into question the authenticity of the poster. This is -exactly- the type of FUD used by vested interests to damage public perception of Tesla and EVs in general. There are massive, well funded and politically connected industries that are gravely threatened by the success of EVs, and they will use very dirty trick in the book to thwart its growth and acceptance.

They will lose in the end, as nothing stands in the way of progress. We are already seeing it, and I hope/pray we will see resounding proof come this November.

Not my point, and not “looking down” on anyone. Questioning the motives of the poster? Definitely. And as for waiting on technology in general it’s a losing game - there will never be a finished, ultimate, go-to product. But if your point is to document your unbiased “above the fray”, EV cred’s OK, done.

Drove a Toyota Highlander prior to taking delivery of my MY last week. Since I loved my Highlander, I was unsure if I would be happy with my purchase of a car I had never even seen or sat in.

A few minor issues: passenger door does not close flush, right tail light out of alignment, charge port door does not close flush. I did not even notice these things at delivery (and I was looking). Got home in better sunlight and they popped out at me.

I got on the app to request a service appointment (sucks because I live 2 hours from a service center). I was pleasantly surprised when they scheduled a Tesla Ranger to come to my place of employment (next week - hasn’t happened yet) to correct these issues.

I still have the Highlander that I love, sitting in the driveway. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MY!!! I hope they fix my issues, but even if they don’t I will be keeping it. I doubt I will ever choose to drive that Highlander that I love again.

The whole experience of driving the MY is hard to explain. You have to experience it to understand. Hope this helps.

I recently refused delivery of a Model Y because of quality issues. Here's my take:
  • I don't regret refusing delivery and I don't think I had unreasonable standards.
  • I think Tesla has figured out that many (most?) customers will accept their cars as-is, so there is efficiency in putting them out there will less quality control on cosmetic issues.
  • However, from posts/photos I've seen, it looks like plenty of MY's are in great shape and their owners are probably loving them.
So, I requested and new VIN and I'm crossing my fingers it's in better shape.

I applaud this. For cars that do have issues, I think it is best if those deliveries are refused.
It is the clearest way to let Tesla corporate know there are issues, as it hits the numbers.

I hope the next one shows up as trouble free as possible :)

Just trying to get a feel of how many people are happy with their cars after delivery. I'm about to take delivery at the end of this month and am thinking hard whether I should cancel and wait until next year or whenever the quality issues have been improved.
Very happy with my new MY. Couple of minor trim and wiper issues were fixed quickly and without fuss. Go for it and have any small issues fixed!

I think one of the best parts of owning an electric car (Tesla M3 is my reference point) is when you get to ~18 months/25,000 miles and realize the only thing you've had to do is rotate the tires a few times.

To be fair, On ICE you would have the same thing except 1 or 2 oil changes (most new ICE got 10 to 15k miles between changes now). And if you take your M3 to get tires rotated elsewhere then them doing the oil change wouldn’t take much extra time.

ICE don’t need any maintenance other than oil changes until 60k. So when your M3 is at 60k+ and all you did was tire rotation, that’s when it shines.

but I do wonder how much time is wasted by an average person ‘waiting’ for their car to charge vs time wasted waiting for maintenance to be done on ICE. Yeah 99% of the time we charge overnight but there are sometimes those moments where you gotta get going but gotta wait for charge (road trips being one example).

Reactions: jimmym1981
But that didn't stop him.
but I do wonder how much time is wasted by an average person ‘waiting’ for their car to charge vs time wasted waiting for maintenance to be done on ICE. Yeah 99% of the time we charge overnight but there are sometimes those moments where you gotta get going but gotta wait for charge (road trips being one example).
Um, Superchargers?

Picked up my white MY, AWD a few weeks ago. Very satisfied with the car. No paint or panel gap issues. Clean inside. No rattles or noises. Back seats align and fold as expected. One cosmetic issue is that the three components of each back light are not perfectly flush, the middle component is protruding out by a few millimetres. Will be setting up an appointment later to get it fixed. Overall in very good condition. Great car to drive. I took delivery at the Columbus, OH Tesla Service Center. The delivery was pleasant and seamless.

But that didn't stop him.

Um, Superchargers?

30 minutes at a time adds up man. It’s something I’m willing to do but that doesn’t mean I don’t consider it a waste of time. By the time your Tesla goes to a junkyard your time at super chargers will be measured in weeks if not months. At 30 min once a week it’s over 1 day at supercharger per year. That doesn’t include the time to get to one or any potential lines. And assumes 30 min charge and not longer.

An hour for oil change once a year plus 5 min gas up once every week or two come to a fraction of that per year. (The reason I say week or two because generally ICE can go over 400 miles on a tank vs MY and M3 usually less than 300 especially when it’s cold)

Again, I’ll reiterate, I am willing to do this. But time wise, every time I am not charging Tesla passively (while waiting on a charge before I can go where I need to go) it might as well be considered maintenance. It takes way more time than maintenance would take.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmym1981
I'm satisfied with my 5/20 build Y which I took delivery of yesterday. I had the similar issues commonly raised (charge port doors not aligned, rear seat alignment, taillight assemblies), but nothing big enough to make me even think about refusing delivery. Based on past experience with my S, X and 3, I'm sure my local service center folks can get these matters resolved eventually. I did take lots of photos and submitted a comprehensive list right away via an app service request so that at least it's documented that these were delivery issues.

Overall, QC/QA inspections definitely need improvement, but the overall fit/finish is way better than what I've seen in the "early days" of 2013/2016 with my S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
I'm satisfied with my 5/20 build Y which I took delivery of yesterday. I had the similar issues commonly raised (charge port doors not aligned, rear seat alignment, taillight assemblies), but nothing big enough to make me even think about refusing delivery. Based on past experience with my S, X and 3, I'm sure my local service center folks can get these matters resolved eventually. I did take lots of photos and submitted a comprehensive list right away via an app service request so that at least it's documented that these were delivery issues.

Overall, QC/QA inspections definitely need improvement, but the overall fit/finish is way better than what I've seen in the "early days" of 2013/2016 with my S and X.

Same here. Issues are not material enough and Tesla has been great about addressing issues in the past and I have no doubt they will do the same with gap alignment issues I noted at delivery on 6/15/20

30 minutes at a time adds up man. It’s something I’m willing to do but that doesn’t mean I don’t consider it a waste of time. By the time your Tesla goes to a junkyard your time at super chargers will be measured in weeks if not months. At 30 min once a week it’s over 1 day at supercharger per year. That doesn’t include the time to get to one or any potential lines. And assumes 30 min charge and not longer.

An hour for oil change once a year plus 5 min gas up once every week or two come to a fraction of that per year. (The reason I say week or two because generally ICE can go over 400 miles on a tank vs MY and M3 usually less than 300 especially when it’s cold)

Again, I’ll reiterate, I am willing to do this. But time wise, every time I am not charging Tesla passively (while waiting on a charge before I can go where I need to go) it might as well be considered maintenance. It takes way more time than maintenance would take.
30 minutes once a week? I suspect few people use them that often. I use them on trips and it's a good excuse to stretch my legs every couple of hours or so, something I would do if I just stopped for gas anyway.

Why the insistence on trying to figure every possible angle an EV might not be any better than an ICE? Almost all of us have driven ICE's for years if not decades and find EV's a revelation. Until you can quantify the pleasure and peace of mind our MY's give you'll never be able to really compare the two.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rxlawdude

I realize every user and use case is different. The number of times I expect to use supercharger per year is max 4 times as I’ll rely on work/home chargers. This makes the amount of time spent/wasted will be significantly lower than ICE for me.

Waiting for my first EV, MY. Perhaps one of the bigger motivation for me is the convenience of not going to gas station every week. For some I reason I really dislike that chore.

Btw, Currently I have a Land Rover Discovery. After reading all these forums, decided to check panel gaps and found three very noticeable panel gaps two being In the trunk. Never noticed those after three years of ownership. Go figure This forum opened my eyes...

I applaud this. For cars that do have issues, I think it is best if those deliveries are refused.
It is the clearest way to let Tesla corporate know there are issues, as it hits the numbers.

I hope the next one shows up as trouble free as possible :)

I'm curious, for those cars that's rejected (minor cosmetic issues), do you think the delivery centers actually addresses and fixes those issues? Or do you think they play the numbers game, assign that VIN to the next person in line, and hope they take delivery? If the objective from Corporate is to meet certain Q2 numbers and worry about repairs later on, then I would think it's the latter.

• Love
Reactions: MY-Y
I'm curious, for those cars that's rejected (minor cosmetic issues), do you think the delivery centers actually addresses and fixes those issues? Or do you think they play the numbers game, assign that VIN to the next person in line, and hope they take delivery? If the objective from Corporate is to meet certain Q2 numbers and worry about repairs later on, then I would think it's the latter.

In ten years of buying Tesla vehicles I have never seen such a thing happen.
That said, if someone declines delivery because the gaps are 2mm except for one spot in which their caliper measurement is 1.99mm. Well, even though it bugs that person, I don't think there is really anything to fix ;)

Reactions: rxlawdude