Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so many quality issues after delivery - how many people are actually happy with their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to get a feel of how many people are happy with their cars after delivery. I'm about to take delivery at the end of this month and am thinking hard whether I should cancel and wait until next year or whenever the quality issues have been improved.

Obviously there are deliveries with problems. Most fixable easily, a few not. However, on this and other forums the bad is reported much more often than the good. No criticism of anyone, it's what you would expect. I have a MS from 2017, getting a MY in a week or so (I hope!), and I'm not worried about it. I bet it will be in great shape, and if it's not, i bet it can be corrected quickly at the delivery center. My suggestion is to be optimistic, not overly picky (again, to avoid getting blasted, I am not saying that people shouldn't be appropriately diligent in inspecting and expecting high quality), and look forward to your delivery.
Mark

I like the Model Y Performance, but the issues that were present during my delivery were bad (paint - awful quality, interior dirt, dings/scratches on plastic trim, and significantly misaligned gaps.). All it would have taken is for someone from Tesla to inspect the car prior to my delivery. This would have solved most of the visible problems.

I’ve been working with Tesla Mobile Support and have had to send 20+ pictures. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s definitely a hassle especially on a supposed luxury vehicle.

Fit & Finish complaints, although in most cases warranted, are more apt to be posted as opposed to customers who take delivery of acceptable MY's. It's simply human nature to share issues & problems as opposed to joy & contentment. I do however wish we knew the ratio of bad vs. good MY deliveries. My Model Y is ordered; I'm hoping for a quality MY delivery and will post both good and/or bad 'Fit & Finish' results when it's delivered.

Count me as happy with my car after delivery last Friday. I have a couple of things that mobile service is coming out to address (rear spoiler has a small gap on the driver side edge & rear hatch is slightly misaligned). Everything else about this car has been exceptional and I'm extremely impressed with the engineering, build quality, performance and ease of use. This is my first Tesla and I'm coming out of an Audi S4.

This will be my 4th Tesla and obviously been a big fan but the level of quality issues I've been reading and seeing on YouTube is quite concerning. Here's a late-breaking article from Electrek highlighting my concerns: Tesla has some major Model Y quality issues - Electrek

My line of work is in software QA and can't imagine how some of the issues with the car can even make it out of the factory.

This will be my 4th Tesla and obviously been a big fan but the level of quality issues I've been reading and seeing on YouTube is quite concerning. Here's a late-breaking article from Electrek highlighting my concerns: Tesla has some major Model Y quality issues - Electrek

My line of work is in software QA and can't imagine how some of the issues with the car can even make it out of the factory.
4th Tesla and you just joined TMC today with a post with a link to a negative article mentioned here already. Hmm.

Apart from two tiny issues since sorted by the local SC, my car is as near perfect as I could expect. Panel gaps evenly spaced everywhere, paint quality excellent, glass roof panels correctly aligned, no noticeable wind noise & road noise is at acceptable levels (almost nothing below 60mph & at any speed drowned by the premium sound system anyway).

I suppose I should be classed as part of the silent majority... but I'm not, this car is truly exceptional.

I'm old and have bought more than my share of new cars in my lifetime. I have never scrutinized panel gars until I started reading about these issues on the Tesla forums. Could every one of the cars I owned previously been perfect? I supposed so, but I doubt it.

I had a Prius for years and one time I read about the white bumper (plastic) being a little different shade of white than the rest of the car (metal). Sure enough, after looking at it, I could see a slight difference. Not noticeable until I was looking for it.

Certainly, Tesla has its issues, but if you look at anything long enough, you'll start seeing problems (just ask my wife). With thousands of us standing there with a delivery checklist in one hand and a cell phone camera in the other, things will inevitably be found that otherwise would have gone unnoticed.

Hold Tesla accountable for their problems, but if you want perfection, you might be disappointed. I never brought a delivery checklist to a Toyota dealer, but I'm sure if I had, I would have found problems.

You can probably gauge the severity and spread of the issues by visiting your local Tesla service center. There would be a bunch of cars awaiting delivery- check those for visible defects. There should be another lot of customer-owned cars awaiting repairs- check those too.

What I’ve observed before taking delivery of mine was not good, and the number of MYs with defects in the formerly-empty service lot (Seattle-Renton) has multiplied and there’s little space left for parking.

• Informative
Reactions: rklip and mikevbf
So just because I will be owning my 4th Tesla, I'm not allowed to raise quality concerns about my purchase. Give me a brake. Is it a rite of passage that every Tesla owner needs to join TMC?
It's just weird that you just found this forum only after all that time.

Is it a rite of passage that every Tesla owner needs to join? I'm sure the folks who run the site think so. :rolleyes:

I was scheduled to take delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately I received a call yesterday telling me there were a number of paint issues that need to be addressed prior to me taking delivery and that I would need to reschedule in two weeks or I can place/request a new vehicle off the assembly line. I empathize with others frustrations but on the other hand I do appreciate Tesla’s honesty with me and the options they gave me. At the end of the day, our country has not completely opened up and I currently work from home so if I have to wait a bit more for a “perfect” vehicle then so be it. As of now do i WANT my car yes of course I do. But is it a NEED right now...no. Also the pics they had sent me were very minor paint issues but regardless they wanted to make it right. Other car dealers are more worried about the sale and keeping you at their dealership till they do, hence why one of the reasons I decided to get a Tesla just so I don’t have to go back and forth with dealerships. And it’s not like their vehicles are perfect all time either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rg3500 and mikevbf
I was scheduled to take delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately I received a call yesterday telling me there were a number of paint issues that need to be addressed prior to me taking delivery and that I would need to reschedule in two weeks or I can place/request a new vehicle off the assembly line. I empathize with others frustrations but on the other hand I do appreciate Tesla’s honesty with me and the options they gave me. At the end of the day, our country has not completely opened up and I currently work from home so if I have to wait a bit more for a “perfect” vehicle then so be it. As of now do i WANT my car yes of course I do. But is it a NEED right now...no. Also the pics they had sent me were very minor paint issues but regardless they wanted to make it right. Other car dealers are more worried about the sale and keeping you at their dealership till they do, hence why one of the reasons I decided to get a Tesla just so I don’t have to go back and forth with dealerships. And it’s not like their vehicles are perfect all time either.
Now that is what I would expect them to do. I'm glad the delivery center called to inform you ahead of time. I know they're trying to meet the 'end of quarter' numbers but they still need to make sure that their cars are still delivered at highest standard possible.

I took delivery today, ahead of schedule. I got a good one, only three minor issues that they took care of before I left. Something on the paint they cleaned off and buffed out. B pillar was dirty, they cleaned it off. Driver's side window needed adjusting, door was not closing correctly. That was it. Paint was great, panel gaps great. The charge port is not as flush as I would like, but nothing bad.

Only issue I had was the system went down when I was there trying to accept delivery and get my MY in my app. Spent 2 hours fooling around trying everything but ultimately, it was an issue on Telsa's end and nothing I or the customer service reps there could do about it. So they did something to mark it as accepted in the system, I signed the papers and I drove home using just the RFID cards. Hopefully later on tonight or tomorrow it will all straighten out and my app will work and have my MY in it. Just glad to have that over with and home now. But this I cannot call a QC issue, just my dumb luck.

First time driving a Tesla, damn this thing is quick. Definitely need to make sure you have lots of empty road ahead before mashing that right pedal...

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf and oneness