Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so many quality issues after delivery - how many people are actually happy with their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Waiting for my first EV, MY. Perhaps one of the bigger motivation for me is the convenience of not going to gas station every week. For some I reason I really dislike that chore.

While this will be my first Tesla, my Pacifica plug in hybrid got me hooked on electric (~75% of our miles are pure electric). Yeah, not pumping gas is nice, but there are bigger advantages you'll soon enjoy, such as:

1. Immediate power
2. Regen beaking - It bugs me to just miss a light or stop on a downhill with an ICE - making all of that wasted heat...
3. Full power AC when idling
4. Near instant heat
5. Being able to park and wait with climate control
6. Quiet
7. Fewer things to go wrong and wear out (engine, belts, belt-driven accessories, transmission, brakes, timing chain, spark plugs, etc.)
8. Adaptive cruise works so, so much better because of 1 & 2. (This adds a lot in stop and go traffic.)

Electric is just a far better driving experience.

While this will be my first Tesla, my Pacifica plug in hybrid got me hooked on electric (~75% of our miles are pure electric). Yeah, not pumping gas is nice, but there are bigger advantages you'll soon enjoy, such as:

1. Immediate power
2. Regen beaking - It bugs me to just miss a light or stop on a downhill with an ICE - making all of that wasted heat...
3. Full power AC when idling
4. Near instant heat
5. Being able to park and wait with climate control
6. Quiet
7. Fewer things to go wrong and wear out (engine, belts, belt-driven accessories, transmission, brakes, timing chain, spark plugs, etc.)
8. Adaptive cruise works so, so much better because of 1 & 2. (This adds a lot in stop and go traffic.)

Electric is just a far better driving experience.

Thanks! Can’t wait.

On your #1, before Discovery I had BMW MX5, with a big big engine and 0-60, 4.8 secs which I loved. That said, it is kinda funny that a car with almost half the price has better acceleration. Having driven that car I only ordered MY LR not performance. I don’t want the passengers to get naucious. Because I know myself that when I have the power, I’ll use that power :)

Very happy.

Even though the SC had to replace my roof glass and hatch glass as they were incorrectly installed from the factory.

Fact is I pointed it out, they agreed and handled the rest. No issues or haggling or trying to make me feel like I'm nitpicking like other manufacturers would.

Car is amazing and fun to drive everyday. A few fit and finishes issues don't overcome all the great things about the car and brand.

If you guys really want to know how I feel about my Model 3, here's an extract from something I've posted elsewhere...

….It was 2017 in California & I had been invited to view a posey little model in amongst her older & more sophisticated cousins. She was barely a month old, clad in dark blue, mouth under her chin & a strange bull-nose. Her body had a curvey little flip-up chest ending with a pert upturned rear & all this beneath a flowing mane of shiny black (from afar and front she looked tiny, dwarfed by her various S & Xier relatives).
1o3gppl.jpg

BUT when I touched her sides she chirped at me, flashed her eyes & waggled her ears…… WHAT A TURN-ON !

Definitely aroused by now, I asked to inspect the strange minimal nakedness within. Her 6 foot master assured me she was plenty big enough for anyone to enter but not just now. She was young & precious to him & although I’m British & an Andrew, I’m not a Prince so I wasn’t invited to try that one out.

However I was smitten & decided there and then that one day this would be my ticket to join the still rare auto octane-temperance club.

Fast forward to April 2020….
Here I was at my door, six weeks after signing the Tesla online dating forms anxious & fully prepared for a Covid & human-free deliverance, clutching my sanitiser, wipes, 10 page check-list for body gaps, blemishes, trim and tech errors.

But glory-be, apart from a few tiny issues (now fixed by Elons’ minions), as she slowly lowered from the loader in her pearly white newness she looked absolutely perfect. My eyes were filling - coughing as discreetly as I’m allowed these days, I struggled to talk & could feel a lump forming.

I’m also not ashamed to admit here & now that as I struggled to contain myself that first afternoon, I shot off the drive prematurely and very embarrassingly as soon as the checks were over!

My shiny and mute Go-Girl Cart behaved obediently both then and afterwards of course, her two little hearts thrusting us ever faster & all my concerns were quickly forgotten. She still had that Californian sisters’ funny flat nose but in every other respect I’d already fallen head over heels with the slippery little body, her brain and all the wonders within.

Even though she doesn’t drink (strictly tee-total) she’s not without vice & often needs me to poke a snake up her flank - gently & slow at home but my God, further afield when we find a line of those red and white boxed pythons she goes at it hammer and tongs………... It’s like the CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE!

She’s a tempestuous little beast for sure, obeys (almost) my every spoken command …”play this….play that….take me to….cool me down….blow me harder” (we had a steamy May). I can forgive her eyes occasionally lighting up in the sun when they shouldn’t & likewise she won’t always bat the rain away for me but these are minor blips compared to the many joys our relationship has brought. Of course she does like some ‘private time’ alone & sometimes spends this with her head in the clouds with the excuse of ‘continuously improving’ herself. She’s done that four times so far - what a clever girl eh?

Still in the first flush, she and I couldn’t be happier & I’m overjoyed to be controlling a feisty but silent beast like this with just two of my limbs. My redundant left foot is withering on the vine, meanwhile my overworked right wrist helps bring satisfaction on every occasion we are together (I do allow her to dominate when AutoHarlot mode is enabled as well)

Meanwhile Mrs wife groans jealously at the waxes and lotions I pour and caress over this nubile little body. “Y oh Y“ she cries (…...she will have to wait a few years for THAT!)

Hell, I’m 63 but proud to say that I still manage to shoot off somewhere at least once most days - it’s a struggle to contain myself from doing it all over the place and all the time. In fact, on Sunday she & I managed two brief sessions, the first as a threesome with wifette pinned back & trying to ignore it through gritted teeth and closed eyes. Our last session finished earlier this afternoon and later I’ll go happy to bed. Then tomorrow I may go back and do the same all over again - much as I’ll do whenever the excuse arises.

How about that!

If you guys really want to know how I feel about my Model 3, here's an extract from something I've posted elsewhere...

….It was 2017 in California & I had been invited to view a posey little model in amongst her older & more sophisticated cousins. She was barely a month old, clad in dark blue, mouth under her chin & a strange bull-nose. Her body had a curvey little flip-up chest ending with a pert upturned rear & all this beneath a flowing mane of shiny black (from afar and front she looked tiny, dwarfed by her various S & Xier relatives).
1o3gppl.jpg

BUT when I touched her sides she chirped at me, flashed her eyes & waggled her ears…… WHAT A TURN-ON !

Definitely aroused by now, I asked to inspect the strange minimal nakedness within. Her 6 foot master assured me she was plenty big enough for anyone to enter but not just now. She was young & precious to him & although I’m British & an Andrew, I’m not a Prince so I wasn’t invited to try that one out.

However I was smitten & decided there and then that one day this would be my ticket to join the still rare auto octane-temperance club.

Fast forward to April 2020….
Here I was at my door, six weeks after signing the Tesla online dating forms anxious & fully prepared for a Covid & human-free deliverance, clutching my sanitiser, wipes, 10 page check-list for body gaps, blemishes, trim and tech errors.

But glory-be, apart from a few tiny issues (now fixed by Elons’ minions), as she slowly lowered from the loader in her pearly white newness she looked absolutely perfect. My eyes were filling - coughing as discreetly as I’m allowed these days, I struggled to talk & could feel a lump forming.

I’m also not ashamed to admit here & now that as I struggled to contain myself that first afternoon, I shot off the drive prematurely and very embarrassingly as soon as the checks were over!

My shiny and mute Go-Girl Cart behaved obediently both then and afterwards of course, her two little hearts thrusting us ever faster & all my concerns were quickly forgotten. She still had that Californian sisters’ funny flat nose but in every other respect I’d already fallen head over heels with the slippery little body, her brain and all the wonders within.

Even though she doesn’t drink (strictly tee-total) she’s not without vice & often needs me to poke a snake up her flank - gently & slow at home but my God, further afield when we find a line of those red and white boxed pythons she goes at it hammer and tongs………... It’s like the CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE!

She’s a tempestuous little beast for sure, obeys (almost) my every spoken command …”play this….play that….take me to….cool me down….blow me harder” (we had a steamy May). I can forgive her eyes occasionally lighting up in the sun when they shouldn’t & likewise she won’t always bat the rain away for me but these are minor blips compared to the many joys our relationship has brought. Of course she does like some ‘private time’ alone & sometimes spends this with her head in the clouds with the excuse of ‘continuously improving’ herself. She’s done that four times so far - what a clever girl eh?

Still in the first flush, she and I couldn’t be happier & I’m overjoyed to be controlling a feisty but silent beast like this with just two of my limbs. My redundant left foot is withering on the vine, meanwhile my overworked right wrist helps bring satisfaction on every occasion we are together (I do allow her to dominate when AutoHarlot mode is enabled as well)

Meanwhile Mrs wife groans jealously at the waxes and lotions I pour and caress over this nubile little body. “Y oh Y“ she cries (…...she will have to wait a few years for THAT!)

Hell, I’m 63 but proud to say that I still manage to shoot off somewhere at least once most days - it’s a struggle to contain myself from doing it all over the place and all the time. In fact, on Sunday she & I managed two brief sessions, the first as a threesome with wifette pinned back & trying to ignore it through gritted teeth and closed eyes. Our last session finished earlier this afternoon and later I’ll go happy to bed. Then tomorrow I may go back and do the same all over again - much as I’ll do whenever the excuse arises.

How about that!
Why do I feel all dirty now...

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and rsinger2
30 minutes once a week? I suspect few people use them that often. I use them on trips and it's a good excuse to stretch my legs every couple of hours or so, something I would do if I just stopped for gas anyway.

Why the insistence on trying to figure every possible angle an EV might not be any better than an ICE? Almost all of us have driven ICE's for years if not decades and find EV's a revelation. Until you can quantify the pleasure and peace of mind our MY's give you'll never be able to really compare the two.

Sorry if I am coming off as trying to downplay or insult EVs. All I was trying to do is point out that EVs have downsides too. Still I think positives make EVs way worth it (For most). It really depends on the person and their ability to charge. My commute is short, I have solar, 99% of my EV vehicles (i have several) are free (off solar, and charged passively). But at the same time I know of people that have a 100+ mile commute and have to stop at a supercharger every day. If I didnt have solar, with how expensive power is in southern california, it would be cheaper right now to drive an ICE than charge at home.

Again, Ill re-iterate, I am pro-Tesla, pro-EV. I just dont like it when people pretend that they are perfect miracles without their own quirks.

With the nightmarish Model Y stories on YouTube, I had some dread in picking up my Y. Which really bummed me out considering the fantastic experience when picking up my wife’s 3 in March ‘18. Outside of one interior panel not fully clipped in place (It snapped in immediately) the car is great. Paint looks good. No worse then I see in 3 and 5 series BMWs. Of course we know how to use everything so that went well. One side note. The process for setting keys up has improved since two years ago.

The touch less delivery was Easy albeit a bit industrial . I took delivery in Costa Mesa, CA. That show room has been under capacity since before the Model 3 launch.... They rented out two floors of a parking structure a couple miles away. A very plain and eerie setting but lots of room for social distancing. Very helpful staff. Not as a celebrated event as picking up the 3, still they got it done, quickly and smoothly and most importantly to all of you waiting for that text, the car looks great!!! It’s fun seeing obvious car and Tesla fans pressing their faces against their windows to take a closer look.
A0990554-E83F-4F88-8D83-7EE90717E6F0.jpeg

With the nightmarish Model Y stories on YouTube, I had some dread in picking up my Y. Which really bummed me out considering the fantastic experience when picking up my wife’s 3 in March ‘18. Outside of one interior panel not fully clipped in place (It snapped in immediately) the car is great. Paint looks good. No worse then I see in 3 and 5 series BMWs. Of course we know how to use everything so that went well. One side note. The process for setting keys up has improved since two years ago.

The touch less delivery was Easy albeit a bit industrial . I took delivery in Costa Mesa, CA. That show room has been under capacity since before the Model 3 launch.... They rented out two floors of a parking structure a couple miles away. A very plain and eerie setting but lots of room for social distancing. Very helpful staff. Not as a celebrated event as picking up the 3, still they got it done, quickly and smoothly and most importantly to all of you waiting for that text, the car looks great!!! It’s fun seeing obvious car and Tesla fans pressing their faces against their windows to take a closer look.
View attachment 552868

Bummer that they attach front plate :( I am also picking up from Costa Mesa and wish they didnt do that.

Picked up MY Performance at Santa Barbara in early March. Luv it as it is easier to park & more nimble than my P90D.
Touchless delivery went smooth. I spent at least 1 hour going over MY before signing papers and accepting car.
Vin is low 1000 with only 1 minor flaw; 1 black out window trim mildly out of alignment.
Arranged for Tesla Ranger to come fix at my home a few weeks later. No other issues like what I’m reading about now. Probably end of 2nd quarter push to boost delivery #’s at the expense of rectifications.
Model Y is taking a hit on its reputation right now.
Hopefully come July, TM will spend more time on Quality Control for each MY coming off the line.

Ps if you do find minor fixable items, have them list it on a Due Bill and they should make it right for you down the road.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Picked up my White/white performance with performance upgrade today in Marina Del Rey.

Two small paint issues, but almost every panel and the headlights have alignment issues. The rear hatch is off just enough that I have to give it an extra push after it tries to close in order for it to latch. There's also some seals that are sticking up above the driver and passenger doors as they obviously weren't aligned properly.

None of this was enough to refuse delivery and already have dialogue with the service team about everything. My only concern is getting it all done before it goes to get wrapped on the 29th.

As a side note, it drives like a f#cking dream. I just wish there wasn't typical LA traffic on the way home, but my wife appreciated me being
Model Y (6).jpg
Model Y (4).jpg
Model Y (5).jpg
Model Y (9).jpg
Model Y (15).jpg
Model Y (12).jpg
forced to drive safe and not crashing it on the way home.

Attachments

• 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200617152721027.jpg
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200617152721027.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 47
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing where you got the car? If I get an option I’ll chose the same delivery center, hearing your flawless car. I am in the Bay Area as well.
I don’t mean to rain on your parade but once your assigned the VIN , that is going to be your car indifferent to where you pick it up at. They just ship it to where you want pickup to be. However you can pick the Tesla center with good customer relations.
Here’s hoping your dream car is flawless too.

Picked my white/white, 20”, FSD baby up today in OMills, Maryland and she is PERFECT !!
They cleaned her up,, seats folded fine, no alignment issues, no panel gaps or paint concerns!!
I really do believe that some peeps problems are the Tesla shops in their state !
Btw, vin is 145xxx